French police recover Roman treasure sold by divers...

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
So, guess what France ? If the divers knew you would have paid the $1-3 million this was valued at, they would have gladly reported the find.

Sure, you ended up with the treasure this time, but how much has this happened and the history is gone forever ? Maybe the next finders will be smarter and you won't ever see anything.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Saturna said:
So, guess what France ? If the divers knew you would have paid the $1-3 million this was valued at, they would have gladly reported the find.

Sure, you ended up with the treasure this time, but how much has this happened and the history is gone forever ? Maybe the next finders will be smarter and you won't ever see anything.

Sadly, this is exactly what is happening worldwide.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
and if the treasure would have been found in England, the crown would have at least paid them market value for the treasure. France just wants to take and then take some more

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
I like the way they called it "Maritime Cultural Asset". Who exactly are the real thieves????

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
and if those divers wouldn't have found it, nobody would even know it existed

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Who gives the government the right to this treasure. Is it because they make the law? I always thought that in this day and age the people made the law. Did the people ever have a say??? No! The people never benefit from government intervention in this matter. It is private industry that has brought 99% of the cultural history to the surface. If we didn't have to act like pirates, the history would be brought up and shared. Government agencies haven't got the funds to find, recover and preserve the undersea cultural artifacts, but they do have the funds to prevent the private sector from doing so. There are too many self serving bureaucrats in government that have the ability to set down legislation no one can refute. This power they possess needs to be moderated. They are forcing all of us innocent treasure hunters to turn into criminals! All they do is wait until we find it, then arrest us and confiscate it while we await trial. What the government is doing is criminal. If France had laws like those in Britain, those guys would have, at the very least, looked to their government for a fair deal and not be under indictment as criminals. I see the same thing that has happened to those guys in France destined to be in my own future...and I'm not happy about it.
Aquanut

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: TAKE EVERYTHING AND GIVE NOTHING BACK! Oh wait, someone said that already. Never mind, I didn't find anything, don't know where any more is and wouldn't tell you anyhow. Hey Aquanut, the Babe is home and healing, I'll call in a day or so. Let's go not find any treasure and tell no one about it. Arrrrgh, where's me Grog? :coffee2: :laughing9:

Attachments

• Photo Collection 085.jpg
    Photo Collection 085.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 360

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
I am always amazed how many people think that it is OK to find important historic stuff and just adopt a policy of "finders keepers."

It is sad.

Mariner

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
mariner said:
I am always amazed how many people think that it is OK to find important historic stuff and just adopt a policy of "finders keepers."

It is sad.

Mariner

Unfortunately they are forced to, if the only other option is the government takes it all with no compensation to those who found it.
England figured out how it should work. Why can't these other countries ?

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Look at what Spain has been doing with salvage folks. AKA Treasure Hunters.

If the stuff is so damn important , how come they don't put teams together and go out and find it?

Vultures have the Easy Life.

Sit back and wait.

cartoo12-1.jpg

beancounter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2006
zephyrhills, fl
Detector(s) used
mpx digital, ace 250
so roman coins, shouldn't it go back to Rome? using the same arguments that origin countries where found use to try and cash in on the work of someone else? "it was found in our water" All this stuff has been stolen from someone or other. If money changes hands does it not belong to the person holding it? If someone takes it by killing and it has sat in a safety deposit box for 60 years, does it go the the person it was stolen from when reveled? (maybe if you have a good lawyer). Historical significance in most cases is a crock, IMHO. these buildings that they knock down every day have more significance than coins. Cannons and pots and pans have more signifiance of life during that time it is the stuff they bought with those coins that should be more historical.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
As far as I can tell, the treasure trove laws in France are exactly the same as in England. Treasure Trove belongs to the crown/state. If you find some and hand it over to the authorities, the crown/state rewards you with half teh value. If you find some, don't hand it over and sell it, that is a criminal act and you will be arrested and prosecuted.

If this French incident had happened in England, the three men would have been arrested in exactly the same way as they were in France.

Quite right, too.

Mariner

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
homefires said:
Look at what Spain has been doing with salvage folks. AKA Treasure Hunters.

If the stuff is so damn important , how come they don't put teams together and go out and find it?

Vultures have the Easy Life.

Sit back and wait.

cartoo12-1.jpg
I glad you brought it up, They got teams out around Spanish waters right now ! and i hear from a good source
when they finish, there coming your way.
Ossy

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariner said:

It is sad.

Mariner
So True ! How does it benefit anybody, if they were sold to private collectors :icon_scratch:
Ossy

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
For all I care Spain can go to Florida, go through the same Riga ma Roe Mel Fisher did, then Over ride the current Claims posted, dig all the 1715 fleet goodies, Pay the Royal Fifth to the State of Florida and Get Sued for Trespass loosing it all.

LOL!

Retirement.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread