Trafalgar yields one of its Secrets

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Re: Trafalgar yields one of it's Secrets

Ossy,

Very interesting article when you finally get to it (interesting article in the Sports section about Zidane's role at Real Madrid, by the way). I wonder what agreements exist between France and Spain in regard to Military wrecks? Is there the equivalent of the 1901 Treaty between Spain and the USA, for example.

In a case like this, it is easy to understand why some people would want to treat the wreck as a gravesite and just leave it alone, interesting though it would be to have it examined archaeologically.

Mariner

trinidad

Dec 28, 2008

Well, you can say that it´s an interesting information but you can have it every so often since four years ago. If you can read Spanish you´ll see what I mean:
http://www.lavozdigital.es/jerez/prensa/20060830/cultura/puzle-trafalgar-encaja_20060830.html
http://www.lavozdigital.es/cadiz/20080217/sociedad/identifica-certeza-casi-total-20080217.html
Well, ok. Certified. It´s the Fougueux. And now they come with doubts about alerting France? What about the Convention? What about all the stuff said in the past?
Other way to read this new could be: ten years to identify a shipwreck that lies at nine meters (easy to dive), that provided dozens of artifacts, unique artifacts, a shipwreck that rest in the exact place where historians say that sunk the Fouguex. Then, how comes that experts from Spain identify the La Mercedes´ shipwreck just taking a look over a few coins in less than a week? It sounds like magic.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ossy... Thanks for the link. I just sent it to Odyssey's legal dept.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

trinidad said:
Well, you can say that it´s an interesting information but you can have it every so often since four years ago. If you can read Spanish you´ll see what I mean:
http://www.lavozdigital.es/jerez/prensa/20060830/cultura/puzle-trafalgar-encaja_20060830.html
http://www.lavozdigital.es/cadiz/20080217/sociedad/identifica-certeza-casi-total-20080217.html
Well, ok. Certified. It´s the Fougueux. And now they come with doubts about alerting France? What about the Convention? What about all the stuff said in the past?
Other way to read this new could be: ten years to identify a shipwreck that lies at nine meters (easy to dive), that provided dozens of artifacts, unique artifacts, a shipwreck that rest in the exact place where historians say that sunk the Fouguex. Then, how comes that experts from Spain identify the La Mercedes´ shipwreck just taking a look over a few coins in less than a week? It sounds like magic.

Very interesting question. But in Cadiz and around hundreds of ships were lost. So .... among many which is the Fougueux?

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mariner said:
Ossy,

Very interesting article when you finally get to it (interesting article in the Sports section about Zidane's role at Real Madrid, by the way). I wonder what agreements exist between France and Spain in regard to Military wrecks? Is there the equivalent of the 1901 Treaty between Spain and the USA, for example.

In a case like this, it is easy to understand why some people would want to treat the wreck as a gravesite and just leave it alone, interesting though it would be to have it examined archaeologically.

Mariner
I agree with you mariner, I would also have it archaeologically examined, but with the French.
In my view it belongs to the French, no matter were it sunk. Spain should work with the French it should be their decision what
they want !!!
As I strongly believe of any Spanish ship sunk around the world.
Jeff, you are always looking for an angle so Odyssey can keep its Treasure.
Ossy

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In the same area of the loss of Fougueux these ships were lost:

Bucentaure, L'Aigle, Neptuno, San Francisco de Asis, Berwick, Indomptable, Prince, Tigre.

San Gabriel, two gunboats, another 10 gunboats

San Juan Bautista

Casilda, Inglesa, Concepcion, Montanes, 18 merchant ships, Coraçao de Jesus,
Paz, San Ramon, Castilla, Argonauta.

It's a bit hard to determine which particular shipwreck we talking about. Moreover, in this same area is another 90 shipwrecks prior to 1805.
Mercedes does not exist for this difficulty, especially if we consider that many fishermen in southern Portugal got all the targets with shipwrecks up to 2,000 meters deep and Mr. Henry Delauze, obviously.
Cheers VV

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread