Tallahassee - The Little Office that Could...

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
In my lifetime, finding Treasure has gone from a childhood fantasy, to a great and needy self admiring controversy controlled by, you guessed it, ā€œBig Brother.ā€ From the day my Dad plopped down his hard earned life savings (to that time) to purchase some acreage and land adjacent to Bull Run Road in Virginia, at the great dismay of my Mother, to charge for each find on our property for Civil War artifacts in the 60ā€˜s, to now, halls filled of file cabinets and bureaucrats, itā€™s been a progressive and all consuming potential budget filler. Should I be the one to condemn its progress? Nah, I think Iā€™ll leave that to all of us who make a living at it. Gosh knows, the Universities and Colleges can do it better. (LOL) Wait! Not do it better, but keep it all in the family, I.e. patrons of the cause of knowledge and the pursuit of the better global day and the enjoyment of all those who pay tribute through gate receipts and reflective admissions, that only those who survive by our tax dollars could do it so well and how truly brilliant they are in bringing to us the written about, but unfounded, until now.

Lobbyists, lawyers and politicos now steal the day with a twist of international flair; UNESCO, Interpol, and all the well connected hands out at the United Nations with their newly American sponsored and pushed through bill (passed) which seeks to legislate and give control of grey area American and International waters to a Global and International authority, will certainly be the ware on anyone who dares explore, and to find the lost. God be it far from our discussion, should a private venture profit from their hard earned endeavors. Letā€™s just keep submitting paperwork, so that a true imprint is preserved and expenditures of private funds lead the way to an onslaught of ā€œgreenā€ collegeā€ kids and their classroom bound handcuffs, more properly named ā€œprofessors,ā€ taking the helm and saying, ā€œwe have now discovered this, so that all future generations may benefit from our find in everlasting seclusion of this sponsored museum.ā€ Oh my God, give me a break. Do any of us really believe this will be the case? Or is it more, yet government again, finding a way to ā€œstiffā€ the hardworking private sector for its ingenuity and determination to make a living?

This isnā€™t ā€œObamaā€ talk, chatter box conspiracy theory, or the like, this is what is happening. How can our Courtā€™s of Law redefine the ages old ā€œSalvage Lawsā€ to now state the opposite and favor its very check signing patriarch, Capitol Hill, or dare I say, the New World Order?

My thoughts, although somewhat rhetorical, are very simple;

We must look beyond the next client, investor, the long and lats of a whispered shipwreckā€™s resting place and take hold of what is found by painstaking research and effort, and say to those who would own our livelihoods, ā€œenough is enough;ā€ ā€œit was lost, it was abandoned and now it is found,ā€

Maybe not so diplomatic, but my sentiments ring the truth;

To all you pioneers in finding Treasure, as Fisher did so plainly before; research, explore, find and keep. And for Christ sakes, remember the Anthem of South Carolina; DONā€™T TREAD ON ME!ā€ The ā€œDonā€™t Tread on Meā€ flag was in response to the Stamp Act of 1765, in which Christopher Gadsden organized opposition to oppressive laws. His argument was to the unfair taxes, that if allowed, would lead to more and more unfair taxation by the government. Taxation by find and seizure is also, in our modern day exploration pursuits include in this. And whether you find it by enterprise or sheer coincidence, Tallahassee is still there watching, and surely they will include your hard earned exploration and finds in the mix to their benefit only. Taxation isnā€™t always by deductions in salary, property or fine, but can come in anyway so dictated by those who govern us on the State Capitol. Live on King George and the Red Coats, and may your history be ever present in our next morning dayā€™s work.

I think not. So go blow Tallahassee, and may your ever present ways of misguided conception of the ā€œlost sea bountiesā€ discovered by true blue collar mavericks be handed down in another, yet new decision, mirroring that of the great Mel Fisher in the days of the not so newly old, in a little old Courtroom called the ā€œSupreme Court.ā€

Sean (Reef Dawg) Murphy

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too late.Rick Scott is now the new gov of florida.Maybe its time to send him some mail about the shipwreck treasure industry here in florida before the state archies poison him with their lies.I elect Sean to do it and also to file under the sunshine law as to where all the states shipwreck treasure went.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I applaud T-Nets own William Wallace! :hello2:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have Salvors.org, sitting there vacant and ready to go, just waiting for someone to tell me what to do with it.

Don't like Salvors.org?
We got HistoricSalvage.com, TreasureSalvage.com, TheTreasureHunt.org (lexpired domains I acquired very recently), if you want to go for a mile wide type name, we got CoastalSouth.com...

Pick a name, any name... Let someone qualified to make this case and dedicated to see it through step up to tell me what to do here and I'll build them one helluva digital Soapbox.

If anyone wants to step up here, email me direct

Names /at/ NamesPeopleRemember /dot/ com

OP
OP
Reef Dawg

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
I agree Mariner. God knows old William took up the cause for all the right reasons, but in the end, the establishment in fear of his ability to "rustle the roost" cost him dearly. :read2:

The fundamental problem is that with any political or bureaucratic office who holds certain authority, over time, it manifests itself into a "make work" entity beholden to no one but itself, and in order for it to justify its existence, it perverts the law by its own version of selfish interpretation, it creates precedence based on loose knit codes and procedures it creates to justify its means, and in the end, becomes an entity that defeats the very purpose from which it was originally intended by design. But, with much time lapsing in the process, Courts misinterpret that to mean its the "end all" authority on the subject matter.

Aside from Tallahassee, in our State (Florida), we have a profound problem; our Court system is breaking down. Since our State no longer allows for Justices of the Peace, which in the past were based on County populations, now we have Judicial Nomination Committees made up of incestuous politicos who place their guy or gal right onto the Judge's bench. Some are responsible to the voters, others are not. And it is these very same people, mostly Lawyers, who couldn't notch out a real career for themselves, that decide on the issues that affect our industry, lives and our livelihoods.

We need to stop allowing for decisions to trickle down, rather than trickle up. Set the mark early on. Educate the novices, mount well planned and strategic legal challenges and be smart enough to use their (Tallahassee) very own codes and laws against them. Set a course (excuse the pun) to allow for their established bad habits to back fire on them. Let's stop tripping over ourselves and let them fall face first. It's all there. All we have to do is use it.

OP
OP
Reef Dawg

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Here's something I find very interesting from Tallahassee's own website;

The Bureau is entrusted with the maintenance, preservation and protection of over 12,000 years of Florida heritage. Archaeological and historical resources on state-owned and state-controlled lands, including sovereignty submerged lands, are the direct responsibility of the Bureau. This includes the management of Mission San Luis, a research and educational site located in Tallahassee and open to the public. The Bureau is divided into areas of responsibility, including Collections and Conservation, Mission San Luis, Education and Research, CARL Archaeological Program, and Underwater Archaeology. The five sections work together to ensure that Florida archaeological heritage will endure for future generations.

Really? Are they serious about that? We have to agree, that if this isn't a statement of ones perceived self importance, I don't know what is. In this Bureau's brief history, they have done more to stagnate and prevent the preservation and protection of history than anyone else in this State. In fact, their very own spider web that they've woven has done more to hide history, than to discover, protect and exhibit it. The entire scope of Tallahassee's governmental operation relating to our industry in the past year of 2010 has produced less historical find results than a single sub-contracting entity did in a few months off the 1715 Fleet with a limited budget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread