Capt Doms Most Important Posting to Date....

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Re: Capt Dom's Most Important Posting to Date....

scubatreasure said:
E PLURIBUS UNUM...LETTER SENT! :icon_pirat:

I basically sent out an SOS, a cry for help. I explained how an entire industry has all but been wiped out. An industry that was single handidly responsible for the term treasure coast. Undersea exploration in Florida is damn near a myth, and at one time was responsible for filling museums up and down the coast that tourist would come to see. These hard working treasure hunters supported entire economies that have gone by the way side because of a couple of bureaucrats in Tallahassee. This was the responce I received:

Thank you for signing up for updates from the Governor's Office.

I appreciate your support, and I know that together, we will bring accountability to Tallahassee.

I'm an outsider -- not a politician -- and I know there's a great deal we can do to make Florida a better place.

You can get to know me even better by joining me on Facebook or following me on Twitter; please take a moment to do so now.

Thank you again for your support.

Rick

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010

Captain Dom didn't get his "Christmas gift" without a tenacious, honest and at times creative approach. The governors first meeting is at 8:30 this morning. I truly believe that Rick Scott will be receptive to the plight of the treasure hunting community. Seems like finding an inch wide coin in a huge ocean would be a lot more difficult than getting the Governors ear. Keep the faith. HH :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

LET'S GET SOME MOMENTUM GOING NOT JUST
HERE BUT TO THE GOVERNOR'S WEB SITE!

THESE PEOPLE RESPOND TO NUMBERS WITH LIKE CONCERNS....
THE GOVERNOR'S WEB SITE IS AN EASY FORM TO FILL OUT...

BE CONCISE.... DON'T SOUND LIKE A CRACK POT OR "FRINGE"
CHARACTER.... IF ENOUGH OF US BANG ON THIS BARREL AND
WE DON'T STOP.... THEY WILL LISTEN
AND RESPOND...

HERE IS THE LINK BELOW:

http://www.rickscottforflorida.com/home/contact/

GOOD GOVERNMENT CANNOT OPERATE IN A VACUUM....!
MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD!

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Dom, I wrote the following, I hope its the kind of thing you have in mind. I am certainly not a litigater but in simple terms, I hope I made a point for us.

"Governor,,
Please consider the treasure salvage industry as you examine the bureaucratic takeover of private industry. As you know, this industry has given much of Florida a great part of it's identity and has for the past number of years been basically shut down by Tallahassee. Mr. Wheeler and his cronies have taken it upon themselves to run roughshod over us in preventing us from pursuing our means of making a living. What we need is to relax requirements and expensive permitting for exploration and salvage of underwater sites, an open minded communication between private industry and less control by the government. Once in place, our industry can proceed this upcoming season without us being deemed pirates operating outside the law as it now stands. Support industries will also benefit in a great way as the expansion grows. Also the state will once again start receiving the artifacts and treasure it has surely been deprived of since this policy was instituted. The state has taken the position that private industry is incapable of properly caring for artifacts and the cultural heritage of this wonderful state. I beg to differ as proven by several of the companies currently working with grandfathered permits. I also know that it is impossible for the state, on its own, to find, salvage and study all the underwater sites before the oceans claim them forever. Their arguments simply don't stand up. I implore you to address this issue with the utmost urgency. This industry will surely die without your help.
Yours,
John Redman,

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

I am just a small fry "hobbist" reasearcher in the world of treasure hunting * but i have travelled to both tallahassee and to ponte vedra at my own cost to voice my veiws as a citizen in the past to protect the righst of salvors to do their legitimate bussiness --without undo hardships imposed on them by petty anti treasure hunter archie types .

the process that was supposed to be a "permitting" process ( according to the judges ruling in the fisher case --the state of florida was to set up a "future permitting process" for salvors to get permits by ) became over time a --how can we block them from getting a permit process instead

while some permits are issued -- they are search and explore type permits * --that while generating data for the state for free (one must share all data collected with the state ) yeild no "profiets" to the private sector salvors -- and even if one finally "finds" a bonifed treasure wreck theres no clause in place that will insure that a actual "salvage permit" will ever be issued.

the look and find only permits ( but do not take stuff rules) == leaves the starving dog just "looking" at the pile of food he just found but if he eats any of it he gets shot. ---one hell of a way to do "bussiness"

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

People, seriously. Emails are the most worthless, easily disregarded, ephemeral form of communication there is.
If you're passionate about an issue, you will make phone calls and request callbacks or even arrange sit-down meetings. There are people on this board who have enough credibility on the issue of Salvors Rights to blow through the low-level staffer weeders and potentially get a sit-down with the Governor to speak on our behalf.

In the world of politics, 100 emails = 1 letter.
100 letters = 1 Phone Call.
100 Phone Calls = 1 Meeting.

Want to speak with the weight of 1000 people behind you? Make a phone call. Request a response. Not too long ago, I found myself stonewalled by a government office. I sent enough emails to choke out a T1, yet nothing was done save for boilerplate auto responses and a few "we will look into the matter..." blowoffs.

Then, I started making phone calls... and more phone calls. I started arranging meetings with staffers who had better things to do and I'll be damned if I didn't break the inertia of do-nothing government employees and actually effect a favorable outcome.

People who sit around and Quixotically send emails effect no change whatsoever. People who make phone calls and arrange meetings do.

Persistence.

"Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed citizens to change the world. Indeed, it has never been done otherwise." - Margaret Mead

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And don't forget to bring a big bag of cash with you, he didn't spend $73,000,000 of his own money to get elected for nothing!

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

As they say money talks and bull crap walks....
Biker Lawyer...

Other deep pockets folks have tried to purchase offices...
It takes more than just money and I don't mean a lot more money...
It takes a platform the people who vote are ready for
and believe in.
LS Morgan

Being a pessimist is not going to change anything.
Most of these blogging sites are just folks flapping their
jaws.... but some of you really have a passion for
undersea exploration....

We need to unite and act as a voice that can has to be reckoned with
YES.... PERSISTENCE is the word...

Sometimes like a junk yard dog
you just have to bite on hard and not let go....

Email, telephone, send smoke signals, bang on an empty barrel,
for heavens sake, do SOMETHING!

I am thinking of putting together a PAC within the Treasure Coast
and salvage community. Enough noise needs to be made to the right
people...

Otherwise, they are only going to listen
to those they are standing next to.

And some of these folks that have been acting as proctologests to
the salvage community were right there at the inaugural party.
One was wearing a yellow shirt!

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used

Well folks,
I'm just one little voice here and as I've already said, I'm not a litigator or lobbyist. However, I'm willing to jump in with any organization a team of us wants to put together. It certainly will take some money to cover expenses. How much? I don't have a clue. Right now I don't have enough funds to pay attention, but I'm willing to do whatever I can. I hope some of the negative attitudes I am reading here don't reflect the loser mentality it appears to be. As Dom says, get off your asses and DO SOMETHING!
Aquanut

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

A few credible guys in suits and ties armed with a cogent position, a tank of gas and a willingness to make trips to your representatives offices- again and again and again, if need be. Put it all on youtube. That's what it takes. Period. Bring some treasure for show-and-tell, too. Everyone loves that stuff. No one can oppose treasure hunting with treasure in their hands and the nagging possibility that more is somewhere out there in the word and even they, too, can find it.

This is not a political campaign. It's an ideological battle and the insane thing is, salvors unquestionably have the lions share of public sentiment on your side! Trying to phrase this as a "political money issue" is defeatist bullshit that doesn't accurately characterize the task you have on your plate. You're not arguing in favor of some politically impossible position. You're arguing in favor of something that any male human being who was ever 9 years old has once fantasized about doing. You're arguing on behalf of the scrappy and resourceful American entrepreneur, the big dreamer, the creative few who follow their own path, chase their own rainbows and wind up defining life for the rest of us. John Q Public roots for guys like you and John Q Public votes.

Inside of every cubicle dweller like myself lies a great deal of envy for the free spirits out there digging up treasure with a middle finger raised to the world and their destiny in their own hands. Maybe one day, I'll join your ranks. Until that time, though, it's up to you all to organize and handle this fight in a much more meaningful way than rants and emails. If you don't, then the battle is lost forever and the opportunity is gone for everyone, you and me alike.

You guys really, really need to organize. Don't make it about money. Save your money, invest your time. Make it about the mission and accomplishing the goal. If seven pissed-off founding fathers can intellectually shepherd the creation of the United States of America, a few dozen guys with a smart and well executed plan gets this job done, no doubt.

Screw the academic-ideologue bureaucrats. Go kick their asses. They've been kicking yours for quite some time.

Plan and Persist.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used

LSMorgan,
You should have been a football coach! Great motivational speech and perspective. I thank you.
Aquanut

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

LS Morgan....

It's almost easy for me to ride up to Tallahassee, I'm un-employed - the seas
have gone to hell and the bailing wire holding my boats together is being re-strung!

It still takes gas, a vehicle that will run for 1,000 miles, some food and a few hotel rooms.
And, a few reasonably articulate guys that can sit in a car together for six to eight hours
each way. Can you take some time from your cubical {and I mean no offense to that term}
and joint with us some of us guys that are willing to take the front of the line?

Some of my fellow stockholders in JWI think I am either "grandstanding" or Crazy to be taking
such a strong public position. But, I can not help myself. This is my way
of giving back for some of the adventure, the course my life has allowed
me to experience. You are right about this should not become another "political" PAC type
football but there are costs involved and you can't use spanish "pieces of eight" at the gas
pumps and hotels! Expense money has to come from somewhere.

And, I am not afraid to say that I have already heavily invested my families "saved earnings"
in a fight that all of you who dream about treasure hunting have a "dog in"
if you want some basis for our dreams.... :headbang: :smileinbox:

Today & tomorrow I am going to the Treasure Hunter's Literature Club.
Yes, Yvonne and I will sell a few books but we will be lucky if that covers the cost
of the meal at OPA's the room at the B & B and the gas to drive there...

What is important is there will be a group of "interested parties" in the same room
for up to 3 to 4 hours - for two days in a row!

Maybe we can put the "right stuff" team together here.....
I know I am going to try....

You never really know what is going to make these political guys
take notice.... Maybe the fact that Rick Scot, the now Honorable
Governor of Florida and the privateer / undersea explorer / treasure
hunter, Capt Dom both will relate by remembering, smelling like a donut
as we both came from similar humble origins of owning a donut shop
in our distant pasts! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used

I just noticed this topic has 1884 views. You would think with that many hits there would be "a little less talk and a lot more action" as Elvis used to say.
Dom, I hope your trip pays some dividends in more ways than one.
Aquanut

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Since I am fairly new to this, I probably would not be the best delegate to go to tallahassee, But, Since I am employed I would be willing to put up a $100.00 or possibly more to help with gas, ect. If we can get a few more people to do this. we might be able to make it happen.
Jeff

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other

I got 100 bucks for the cause, Also.. I am new here also.. But I do know that all those Pissing Contest that goes on here in this forum sure gives me a headache.. Why don't you guys just Tuck your Shmackles back in. And type in learning material instead, No one really cares anymore , Let it go Man just let it go
Daryl

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

Thanks Turnbull,

Hang on to your money for now.
Once a better plan begins to formulate we may call on you.

The FUN show literature Club turned out to be a good forum
to generate more pro-active interests about approaching Governor Scot's office
concerning the plight of the private salvage community concerning having a "right to work"
here in the Treasure Coast.

A couple of us joked about how we may use some of the campaign ads to make our
point that we have common grounds with Governor Scot concerning our humble origins...

Remember the TV ad of Rick Scot's mother telling his and her story of he having a donut shop
and giving her a job.... Well, it just so happens about three lives ago I new what it was to smell
like a donut, because I also had a donut shop! Abet I do prefer being an undersea explorer as for
now, I am sure he prefers being our Honorable Governor!

Bonnie, AKA Gold Hawg, who also attended the FUN show literature club meeting
and recovered the amazing gold find this year like Governor Scot pointed out
"And I got my mother a job as well!" as her mother
is her working deck hand!

Maybe we need to put a little YouTube Video Together and film
a little piece about this....

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

capt dom said:
Can you take some time from your cubical {and I mean no offense to that term}
and joint with us some of us guys that are willing to take the front of the line?

Yes, but I'm hamstrung from every direction.
As of right now, I'm not a FL resident (which means ZERO access to representatives) and I'm not particularly credible on this topic. As they say in here in Chicago... "He doesn't have any whiskers..." I can envision going to a meeting, having a legislator look right at me and asking pretty much any historic salvage related question and my having to defer to someone else... I am a good planner and I'm good with the internet, though, so that's probably where I'm most helpful.

We have a natural ally in the metal detecting hobby and pound for pound, they bring a lot more bodies to the table. Our interests overlap, even if they might be a tad different on the margins.

Apparently, Florida has 120 Congressional Districts:
http://goo.gl/Tej5j

... and 40 Senate Districts
http://goo.gl/om1Yx

We should probably focus on defining the issue of historic maritime salvage and land based artifact hunting as being one in the same, since they both face the same (absurd) ideological opposition.

We need to round up Floridians who are willing to speak, break them down by district and start arranging sit-downs with representatives. We need to cover *every* district. I think metal detecting clubs give us a lot of access to some districts where maritime salvage wouldn't be an issue, but those reps votes count just the same and we can assuredly get many of them in our corner on ideals alone... Again, we have a LOT of people who would support us, if we just take the time to ask.

We have public sentiment on our side- it's time we started communicating that to the people who make decisions. The high minded office-ideologues in Tallahassee have been getting away with murder for too long.

As best I can figure, the first step is rounding up heads, then counting them. The internet is obviously the best place to start.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

aquanut said:
I just noticed this topic has 1884 views. You would think with that many hits there would be "a little less talk and a lot more action" as Elvis used to say.

Yeah, definitely, but that's how it always is. On any issue, there's a small handful of people doing the heavy lifting for everyone else. It can be disheartening and frustrating to say the least, but those who are called to fight the fight know who they are. When we appraise the lives we've lived, being the ones who had the courage and inspiration to step up and be counted is something we can be proud of, even if we have to contend with some apathy along the way.

Everyone should pitch in wherever and however they can, even if it's just making a single phone call.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

It would interesting if a Florida resident (I am not) would take the time to document as many wrecks possible - who found them, recovered artifacts and what percentage of those artifacts currently held in Tallahassee/state universities originated from wrecks found by non-state workers. Instead of just parroting the old "we have done more for history than you guys have," take the time to offer actual statistics with graphs and source documentation.

Additional info may include how many of those wrecks had an archaeologist involved in the recovery.

Facts are powerful. Ranting is not.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Amen Darren. Great point.
In Florida, a diligent individual could probably employ various incarnations of the Sunshine Law to examine the acquisition records of certain publicly funded museums, in addition to possibly undertaking an audit of the archies in Tallahassee. Do we even know what they have, in those vaults?

Also, just what is it that we want to change? What laws do we need to undo or have done? I ask this sincerely...
Is it the state not issuing salvage permits, in the spirit of cooperation and good faith?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread