Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Hits' may point way to historic shipwreck off Martin County coast

By SUZANNE WENTLEY
[email protected]
May 20, 2006
STUART — After two weeks of searching for a famous pioneer's shipwreck, archaeologists said on Friday that there was a good chance of finding a historically significant ship in local waters.
More than 500 "hits" — areas worth investigating — were discovered during a two-week-long survey of seven square miles off Martin County's southern coastline, said Renee Booth, the director for development of the Historical Society of Martin County's Elliott Museum.
The historical society commissioned the work last fall to search for Jonathan Dickinson's Reformation, which sank in 1696 after crashing on a reef. The shipwreck led the Quaker pioneer to write a journal that became the earliest known documentation of the Ais Indians, who once inhabited the area.
That ship is likely one of hundreds that sank along the Treasure Coast, a region named after the 1715 Spanish treasure fleet. Experts say the Reformation was not carrying treasure.
Despite diving on some of the areas of interest during the last two weeks, the shipwreck experts from the Institute for International Maritime Research in North Carolina still weren't clear what was buried under the sand.
"They haven't found anything they can identify yet," Booth said. "Still, the chances of locating historical shipwrecks here are high."
That's because the "hits," which were determined by using magnetic surveys and sonar equipment, were grouped in clusters, perhaps indicating timbers from ships.
A preliminary report from the state-funded $40,000 survey will be available Monday. A more in-depth report, which will include more analysis of the findings and determination of what should be studied further, will take longer, Booth said.
If the location of the Reformation is discovered, Booth said the historical society would recreate the path Dickinson took through the area and recorded in his journal.
Any historical artifacts found would be property of the state, but would likely be displayed at the Elliott Museum, she added.
"The survey is the is the easy part," Booth said. "The identification and research that follows is the hard part."
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_4712921,00.html

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 'Hits' may point way to historic shipwreck off Martin County coast

Yes this is a necro post...

Wow a $40,000 two week dive vacation.

That would set me up for about 2-3 years operating expenses!

I guess in 2006 the money was flowing....

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

It's funny isn't it!
Aquanut

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had the honor & privilage of doing 90-95 % of the research on that grant.Mainly because Renee left that year we never got another grant to continue.I still have all the original mag work from the project.All the color charts,maps,dgps,etc.Working with Dr.Gordon Watts was really a neat adventure.I have shared all of the info with only 1 person,my long time & good friend Rob Westrick.Speaking of,hope everything is well in Louisiana.I still work on it now & then.Believe now we were to far North of wreck site.Everyone have a great time at the cookout.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treshuntintom said:
I have shared all of the info with only 1 person,my long time & good friend Rob Westrick.

I'm not trying to start a fight but since the operation was paid for by Florida residents shouldn't the information be shared with everyone and not just controlled by one person?

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I spent approx.3 years on project.Several trips from San Antonio to florida by car or by air.Received not a single dime for my time.No gas money,no airfare,no car rental or food.Guess I was a true volunteer.All the information should be public record by now.If asked,be glad to try again.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treshuntintom said:
I spent approx.3 years on project.Several trips from San Antonio to florida by car or by air.Received not a single dime for my time.No gas money,no airfare,no car rental or food.Guess I was a true volunteer.All the information should be public record by now.If asked,be glad to try again.

Oh by your statement of only sharing with one person I thought that meant nobody else has the info.

So who got the tax payers 40 grand for a two week operation?

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Somewhere I have a copy of the funding.IIMR got the bulk of the money.They brought there research boat down plus there staff.The Martin County Sheriff's Dept got some because there dive team assisted with the dives.I believe 5-6 reports were issued after we finished the work.IIMR,Renee,Martin County,mine & State of Florida.Believe that everyone would understand why the reports at the time were kept confidential.We never got another grant due to the economy.Have had a couple of contacts about private funding to continue the project.Sorry if I offended anyone,sure didn't mean to.Haven't posted here in 6 months,guess I'll go for 12 this time.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe the reason why you didnt get any more grant money is cause you didnt share the results with the people that gave you the grants or the tax payers that paid for it.The economy has nothing to do with grants.This state hands them out like candy.Progress energy just got a billion $$$ grant from the state to build a nuke plant somewhere in florida.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treshuntintom said:
Somewhere I have a copy of the funding.IIMR got the bulk of the money.They brought there research boat down plus there staff.The Martin County Sheriff's Dept got some because there dive team assisted with the dives.I believe 5-6 reports were issued after we finished the work.IIMR,Renee,Martin County,mine & State of Florida.Believe that everyone would understand why the reports at the time were kept confidential.We never got another grant due to the economy.Have had a couple of contacts about private funding to continue the project.Sorry if I offended anyone,sure didn't mean to.Haven't posted here in 6 months,guess I'll go for 12 this time.

Again my initial concern was 40 grand for a two week operation! ???

Who's IIMR?
Not offended, you just confused me with the initial statement that you kept all your info secret except for a best friend.

That scenario plays out like typical "Govt" crap where they take money from tax payers and use it for their own gains while the whole time bemoaning and blockading private sector salvage because "the cultural history is for the people."

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

International Maritime Research, Inc.(IIMR)

Theres not much info about them on the net.Maybe it cause they keep their research and info secret.

I did some more digging.

They do a lot of federal and state work.Funded by tax payers.

Background for Gordon Watts
Employment History

Institute for International Maritime Research , Inc.
Tidewater Atlantic Research Inc

The First Colony Foundation
East Carolina University

Maritime Archaeological and Historical Society Inc

Board Memberships and Affiliations

Board Member
Institute for International Maritime Research , Inc.
Founder
Tidewater Atlantic Research Inc
Board Member
Carolina Coastal Classrooms Inc
Members of the Board
The First Colony Foundation
Advisor
Maritime Archaeological and Historical Society Inc

http://tidewateratlanticresearch.com/index.html

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Tom,
Would you care to share some of the more interesting info about this?
Aquanut

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Au - $40K is not terribly out of line for 2 weeks of professional survey work. However, looking for the Reformation in south Martin County.....not to sure about that decision. Like Aquanut, I'd like to hear more about the operation as well. That wreck holds a lot of historical interest to many Florida shipwreck enthusiasts.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaFinder said:
Au - $40K is not terribly out of line for 2 weeks of professional survey work. However, looking for the Reformation in south Martin County.....not to sure about that decision. Like Aquanut, I'd like to hear more about the operation as well. That wreck holds a lot of historical interest to many Florida shipwreck enthusiasts.

While I might think that is a bit much I definately think it's a bit way too much for tax payer dollars being spent on and something that obviously wasn't too well researched.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread