Any news on Indianrocks Beach Treasure finds?

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Steve . I think a side scan sonar will be of no use here . Everything will be covered by sand at this time . A magnetometer could be used here but it should be a very good one . You can try with a powerful PI detector in order to get a hit on the cannon or the anchors . But you have to be able to get the sand off . So you need a suction dredge ( if you don't want show your blasters to the people on the shore ) . It will be a job but I am convinced that there are wrecks on the West coast . All you need is time on your hand to find them . Cornelius

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Couldn't side-scanning after a big hurricane blows by be potentially productive?
Obviously, this would be one of those 'waiting for it to happen' opportunities, but for those of us who have a home-base there, seems like it might be worthwhile to try, at least. I will be.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Morgan the pictures came from the book; Tales of the Jolly Bucs by Frank J. Hagan printed inh 1979. Frank was a historian and columnist for the Gulf Beach Journal back in the 70's.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pete, thanks for the pics, fantastic! Keep doing the research!

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Did you guys get together already ? Is there a group that wants to work together to find some wrecks on the West coast ? I will be down in April or/and May . Keep me informed about the plans . The first thing to do is to get together at John's place and do some talking and planning . I wonder how this is going to pan out . Cornelius

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cornelis 816 said:
Did you guys get together already ? Is there a group that wants to work together to find some wrecks on the West coast ? I will be down in April or/and May . Keep me informed about the plans . The first thing to do is to get together at John's place and do some talking and planning . I wonder how this is going to pan out . Cornelius

I don't believe anyone has met together as of yet (to my knowledge). John's Pass is definitely a good meeting place as there's lots of restaurants to meet at. I know I don't bring alot in the way of diving or salvaging, but I'm very good with computers & technology stuff. I'd love to meet up when you get here Cornelius. I'll be out of town for an impromptu "bachelor" detecting hunt and my wedding during the third week of May, but I can try to get together before then if everyone chooses to.

Bran <><

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The first thing to do is to get together at John's place

Bran, i think he meant Aquanut or Fisheye......both Johns

Tom

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad4wrecks said:
The first thing to do is to get together at John's place

Bran, i think he meant John's (Aquanuts) house.

lol, sorry... I figured he meant John's Pass since it's right there in the area. That's what I get for assuming... :D

Bran <><

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
If some of you guys are still game , inform John of your plans . What I need before I come down to Florida is a plot of the wrecks of the 1733 fleet . I mean the Atocha and the rest of the fleet ( as we know it ) . The area I am interested in is West of the Marquesas Keys and North of the Tortugas . Get a nautical map and plot as many wrecks as you can . This will only be our guide for the search . Are you guys still interested ? OK than make contact with John and show your collors . Cornelius

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Cornelius, I worked on the Atocha back in 1994. It was not part of the 1733 fleet. The Atocha sank in 1622. I took my 60' Crist Craft Constellation all over the north part of the Marquesas to search for the stern section and found nothing. We scanned the area almost up to Cape Sable. What do you know about the Cape Romano wrecks? What year? You need a good live-aboard boat to search that area.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Trembull. Have you been there?

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
• There were reports that when they were first dredging the Venice Inlet, a shipwreck was struck with the clam bucket dredge and gold coins were being picked up from the sand piles. A scan of old newspapers might confirm this story.

• After tropical storms, Spanish coins have been washing up on the beach at Stump Pass, just SW of Grove City. The dates are running from 1754-1762, and the coins are in good condition. A gold 8 Escudo with a similar date was recovered in the water from the same area.

• Spanish gold coins were found on the beach at Longboat Key near Sarasota, after a dredger pumped in sand from off-shore.

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009
while making room for the new Christmas stuff.. I ran across these in storage;...

1879 Coastal chart of Tampa Bay, some kind of old reprint that's been here fir 15 years or more..
good condition - minor edge dings.. about 3 ft x 3 ft.

So if anyone wants to go 'hunting' , here is a good place to start ..

PM me if your interested (paypal $$ is OK)

Attachments

• tb1879a.JPG
    tb1879a.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 582
  • tb1879d.jpg
    tb1879d.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 566

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dagfoto said:
while making room for the new Christmas stuff.. I ran across these in storage;...

1879 Coastal chart of Tampa Bay, some kind of old reprint that's been here fir 15 years or more..
good condition - minor edge dings.. about 3 ft x 3 ft.

So if anyone wants to go 'hunting' , here is a good place to start ..

PM me if your interested (paypal $$ is OK)
Dagfoto,
Not trying to cut in on you selling stuff.
But You can go to NOAA's site and veiw or download the same chart for free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread