Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    us
    Dec 2008
    Delray Beach
    Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Any news on Indianrocks Beach Treasure finds?

I heard a rumor that there was some finds
    in Indianrocks Beach, Florida. Can anyone
    tell me where I can get more information
    on that? Or, who is the party that found
    the items?

Reef Dawg

us
    Oct 2009

Re: Any news on Indianrocks Beach Treasure finds?

alot of rumors about that . yet seen no results..
    It's been written that there is "something" out there - yet the beachs have been replinished every few years with fresh sand from 1/4 mile out .. a few artillery shells turn up , and some old wood..

rumors of cannons visible at extreme low tide in Madiera Beach area. I have one that is said to come out of the gulf , yet thats "another tale" by now...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!B+VQfQgBGk~$(KGrHqZ,!jIEzNwjcc+zBM+T1!8y9Q~~_3.jpg 
Views:	1519 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	478168  

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II
    173 times
    Shipwrecks

Charter Member

Jan 2008
    2 times

Where is Indian Rocks Beach? Great photo Dagfoto!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.-Mark Twain

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    173 times
    Shipwrecks

"Where is Indian Rocks Beach?" Off the W. central coast of Florida. Tampa Bay area.

Charter Member

Jan 2008
    2 times

Dag,

Any idea what year the pic was taken?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.-Mark Twain

us
    Aug 2003
    East Coast
    101 times

Reef dog, There must be more then one good wreck in that area. I can tell you that a retired senior citizen that lived close by that location and now resides in the North East, used to walk on the beach in front of their home down there and as they tell it, they used to find Gold Coins about the size of an American Silver dollar, after storms hit their area. How many I didn't ask, but the way they talked it was more then a half dozen
    They found them on the open sand and to their knowledge, they never saw anyone walk the beach at that location with a metal detector.
    Since I just got this info and they promised to show me a picture of the front and back of the coin, I can't tell you the Country of origin or the date of the coins. ( I really don't care what it is to tell you the truth.) They did give me the address of the house they used to have on the beach.
    Since I live in the cold up here in the N.E. I am planning a trip down that way in the Spring. I figure on asking Aquanut to come along on a beach hunt in the Spring. If he wants to bring a few friends fine. ( As long as we all split what is found ). I am really more interested on searching off the beach for the wreck they are coming from. If anyone wants to tag along, get ahold of me or John R. I'd also like to see Fisheye on the trip.

us
    Aug 2003
    East Coast
    101 times

Update, I was told that over a dozen Gold Coins were found on that beach by the people that used to live there and that the only one they have left is dated 1584. From what I gather they are 8 Escudos. I'll post a picture when I get one.

nl
    Sep 2010
    14 times

Hey John and Pete , here you have your chance . I would let Ed Know what you can do . Cornelius

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    173 times
    Shipwrecks

Old Man, that beach is right in my backyard. There were newspaper reports of gold coins on Sunset Beach after they dredged Blind Pass to make it deeper back in the 70's. I scoured that area with my deep seeking metal detector a few years ago but found nothing.

nl
    Sep 2010
    14 times

Don't look for the coins , start looking for the wreck . It must be close by . Since coins ,, walk ,, in sandy beaches take the prevailing currents in consideration . Good luck . This is the only advice I can give . Cornelius

us
    Aug 2003
    East Coast
    101 times

Cornelius, Thanks for the advice. If you can make it across the Pond in the Spring ? I'd really like you to take charge of this or at least join in the hunt. ( I'm not from Texas, so you don't have to worry about me.)

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    173 times
    Shipwrecks

Cornelius the consensus among local treasure hunters is that the gold coins from Sunset Beach came from a buried treasure chest, not from a shipwreck.

nl
    Sep 2010
    14 times

Old Man , I will be there. I know you are not dealing with me like the Texas people did . Old pirates have a certain way of operating . Thanks for your trust in me . Cornelius

us
    Aug 2003
    East Coast
    101 times

Salvor6, I am keeping the location of where the Gold Coins were found a Secret until the day of the hunt. I will however tell you that it is no where near the site that you have posted. Actually I have been to Indian Rocks Beach when I went there to meet Tim S. many years ago and I will tell you that it is not within that location.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors