Any news on Indianrocks Beach Treasure finds?

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009
alot of rumors about that . yet seen no results..
It's been written that there is "something" out there - yet the beachs have been replinished every few years with fresh sand from 1/4 mile out .. a few artillery shells turn up , and some old wood..

rumors of cannons visible at extreme low tide in Madiera Beach area. I have one that is said to come out of the gulf , yet thats "another tale" by now...

Attachments

• !B+VQfQgBGk~$(KGrHqZ,!jIEzNwjcc+zBM+T1!8y9Q~~_3.jpg
    !B+VQfQgBGk~$(KGrHqZ,!jIEzNwjcc+zBM+T1!8y9Q~~_3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,706

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is Indian Rocks Beach? Great photo Dagfoto!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Where is Indian Rocks Beach?" Off the W. central coast of Florida. Tampa Bay area.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Reef dog, There must be more then one good wreck in that area. I can tell you that a retired senior citizen that lived close by that location and now resides in the North East, used to walk on the beach in front of their home down there and as they tell it, they used to find Gold Coins about the size of an American Silver dollar, after storms hit their area. How many I didn't ask, but the way they talked it was more then a half dozen
They found them on the open sand and to their knowledge, they never saw anyone walk the beach at that location with a metal detector.
Since I just got this info and they promised to show me a picture of the front and back of the coin, I can't tell you the Country of origin or the date of the coins. ( I really don't care what it is to tell you the truth.) They did give me the address of the house they used to have on the beach.
Since I live in the cold up here in the N.E. I am planning a trip down that way in the Spring. I figure on asking Aquanut to come along on a beach hunt in the Spring. If he wants to bring a few friends fine. ( As long as we all split what is found ). I am really more interested on searching off the beach for the wreck they are coming from. If anyone wants to tag along, get ahold of me or John R. I'd also like to see Fisheye on the trip. :icon_pirat:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Update, I was told that over a dozen Gold Coins were found on that beach by the people that used to live there and that the only one they have left is dated 1584. From what I gather they are 8 Escudos. I'll post a picture when I get one.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Man, that beach is right in my backyard. There were newspaper reports of gold coins on Sunset Beach after they dredged Blind Pass to make it deeper back in the 70's. I scoured that area with my deep seeking metal detector a few years ago but found nothing.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Don't look for the coins , start looking for the wreck . It must be close by . Since coins ,, walk ,, in sandy beaches take the prevailing currents in consideration . Good luck . This is the only advice I can give . Cornelius

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Cornelius, Thanks for the advice. If you can make it across the Pond in the Spring ? I'd really like you to take charge of this or at least join in the hunt. ( I'm not from Texas, so you don't have to worry about me.)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cornelius the consensus among local treasure hunters is that the gold coins from Sunset Beach came from a buried treasure chest, not from a shipwreck.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Old Man , I will be there. I know you are not dealing with me like the Texas people did . Old pirates have a certain way of operating . Thanks for your trust in me . Cornelius

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Salvor6, I am keeping the location of where the Gold Coins were found a Secret until the day of the hunt. I will however tell you that it is no where near the site that you have posted. Actually I have been to Indian Rocks Beach when I went there to meet Tim S. many years ago and I will tell you that it is not within that location.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
old man said:
Salvor6, I am keeping the location of where the Gold Coins were found a Secret until the day of the hunt. I will however tell you that it is no where near the site that you have posted. Actually I have been to Indian Rocks Beach when I went there to meet Tim S. many years ago and I will tell you that it is not within that location.

You probably shouldn't post anything about it.
That area is sufficiently small that it wouldn't take a few guys much time to make a significant sweep of it with land detectors.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
SWR, I am sure that there are a lot of treasure wrecks on the W. Coast of FL. After, this post I won't comment on the site I was told about. However, I will tell you that the site you mentioned isn't the site I'm talking about. I suggest that anyone interested in coming on this Adventure in the Spring. Get a hold of Cornelius. If he is going to be there. I think he should be the one to contact about who he'd like to see there. I already mentioned some of the people I would like to see there and I will be in touch with them, if I haven't already.

I use the term Adventure on every hunt I go on, because that is what I believe it is. That way no one should be disappointed no matter how much or how little is found. I will say this, from what I know. I think this is a Very promising site.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
As I mentioned in another thread I believe that there are some interesting wrecks on the West coast of Florida . I like to go into this adventure with Ed . A couple of things have to be set straight thoug . We need a boat , preferably a flat bottom . We need an ROV . We need a boat with blasters . We need a powerful PI metal detector . If possible we need a side-scan sonar . We have to have participants that can finance their own stay . The participants should have at least a vacation of one month . Let's talk more if we get these things available . Cornelius

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Well , it is three in the morning here in Holland . I am going to bed right now . No takers so far . Let's see what tomorrow brings ! Cornelius

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009
sphillips said:
Where is Indian Rocks Beach? Great photo Dagfoto!

postcard is around 1920's or 30 , i believe..

I've researched maps of this area for some time .. to make note of how the sand has been reconstructed to finger islands for housing..

ALOT of this area has been rebuilt - so any research should be done using maps before the 1950..

map below , one of the first of the area shows ships at anchor on Tampa Bay .. or locations of wrecks on the bay .

Yet bay is generally shallow..

Attachments

• TampaBay-1750.jpg
    TampaBay-1750.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,422

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread