Can Jeosonars be modded for underwater work?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't understand anything about the theory involved with these machines, so please forgive the ignorance.

http://www.jeohunter.eu/jeosonar.htm

Could that be modified with an extended cable, allowing the head to be hand-operated underwater by a diver in a relatively shallow saltwater environment, the data then transmitted back to the systems computer on the boat? I'm assuming that waterproofing the head and submerged connections wouldn't pose any unique challenges and obviously, the computer would be kept dry.

SHARK

Nov 7, 2010
Florida
Pulse Induction Metal detectors are better suited for salt water than VLF.

I'm having Tim Williams, http://www.lrlman.com/agl.htm build me a 4 foot, underwater coil with a 25 foot cable to attach to my PI, which is connected to the Arc-Geo data logger through the the headphone jack. The software provides me a graphic image of sub-surface anomalies.

I find that using the Data-logger displays targets about 30% deeper than the normal audio sounds our ears hear through the headphones on land use.

I know that Tim, has been working on software to display the data logger images in real time on a laptop, or hand held. He may have that software available. If the data can then be transmitted wireless to the laptop, or hand held it will be a great system, and less costly than VLF unit you are looking at. Shark

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SHARK said:
Pulse Induction Metal detectors are better suited for salt water than VLF.

I'm having Tim Williams, http://www.lrlman.com/agl.htm build me a 4 foot, underwater coil with a 25 foot cable to attach to my PI, which is connected to the Arc-Geo data logger through the the headphone jack. The software provides me a graphic image of sub-surface anomalies.

I find that using the Data-logger displays targets about 30% deeper than the normal audio sounds our ears hear through the headphones on land use.

I know that Tim, has been working on software to display the data logger images in real time on a laptop, or hand held. He may have that software available. If the data can then be transmitted wireless to the laptop, or hand held it will be a great system, and less costly than VLF unit you are looking at. Shark

Could you explain more about this setup? It sounds like something I might be interested in putting together.
Are you using a standard PI MD box?
And running extended cables to the coil underwater?
What is the software that interfaces the signals into a graphical image? Does this software account for depth or provide any 3d imaging of the anomaly itself? Does this run off a standard laptop or does it use proprietary hardware?

The guys at Jeohunter are Italian and the best you get is very pigeon-English- needless to say, a technical discussion is all but impossible, however, when I asked about modifying their machines for use underwater, they did say "No. Impossible". :D

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
LS, there's a difference between handheld pi detectors (like those on the beach) and pulse loop detectors. One is specifically designed for small coils, while the other is primarily designed for large loop coils. The advantage of the large loop is that it goes deeper. But the larger the coil, the less you will pick up small targets. Most people use the large loop for cache hunting - like a jar with a lid or an ammo box buried. It will not pick up coins. The Lorenz and Pulse Star 2 are popular models of the large loop. They do have modifications and attachments for smaller coils, but their design is focused on large loops. And don't believe any ads that claim 40 foot depths. It's not true unless you find a Sherman tank buried beneath your feet. The large loops average about 4-6 foot depths max. Unlike their beach cousins, these detectors can cost about $2-4k US. There are cheaper models - the Maxi Pulse comes to mind - but I don't recommend one that runs on a 9v battery. Gary's pulse 2 (search Gary Chemelec on Google) can be built for much less and works just as well as the "pro" versions.

I have seem Tim's Arc-Geo Logger and it's top-notch. I assume SHARK is attaching it to a large loop setup and not a handheld underwater detector. If you don't want to purchase proprietary software, you can download Snuffler, which is free and works well with it.

I'm leaving out many details, but hopefully you can find a starting point to research more.

Best to you,
Darren

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Darren in NC said:
LS, there's a difference between handheld pi detectors (like those on the beach) and pulse loop detectors. One is specifically designed for small coils, while the other is primarily designed for large loop coils. The advantage of the large loop is that it goes deeper. But the larger the coil, the less you will pick up small targets. Most people use the large loop for cache hunting - like a jar with a lid or an ammo box buried. It will not pick up coins. The Lorenz and Pulse Star 2 are popular models of the large loop. They do have modifications and attachments for smaller coils, but their design is focused on large loops. And don't believe any ads that claim 40 foot depths. It's not true unless you find a Sherman tank buried beneath your feet. The large loops average about 4-6 foot depths max. Unlike their beach cousins, these detectors can cost about $2-4k US. There are cheaper models - the Maxi Pulse comes to mind - but I don't recommend one that runs on a 9v battery. Gary's pulse 2 (search Gary Chemelec on Google) can be built for much less and works just as well as the "pro" versions.

I have seem Tim's Arc-Geo Logger and it's top-notch. I assume SHARK is attaching it to a large loop setup and not a handheld underwater detector. If you don't want to purchase proprietary software, you can download Snuffler, which is free and works well with it.

I'm leaving out many details, but hopefully you can find a starting point to research more.

Best to you,
Darren

Aaaaaaaaawesome post sir. Starting point indeed. The only problem is the internet gives up more damn information than the brain can process at one time :laughing7:

Mucho gracias.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread