Romans map of Florida

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cornelius, you've mentioned this in other threads several times before in the short time since your return. I understand from your tone that you are bitter, and I apologize that my one liner came off a little harsh. Truth is, I do respect you as a knowledgable contributor to this forum, and I can care less if you are a pirate or not. More power to you on that one, I kind of respect your contempt for the political correctness of being outspoken about it. However, in this thread, you basically come on and piss on the guy who is offering a copy of Roman's map. Yeah everyone knows about Roman's map, so what? Not everyone is as knowledgable or as serious of a treasure hunter or pirate as you. I am certainly not, and I don't give a flip that I'm not either. I want to be a treasure hunter like you guys but I have this thing that weighs me down. We call them "jobs" but I think they are pronounced "le yobs" in your country...you know the "j" sounds like a "y". Ron burgandy aside, I'm here just because I think shipwrecks are cool. Love the history. I think it would be pretty cool to frame a Roman's map for the office but that's just me. My comment was just a suggestion to consider your tone and maybe let it go, you won't be perceived as so bitter. Take it or leave it, just saying.

old man said:
inletsurf said:
cornelis 816 said:
I am a pirate learning fast . Why should I get in trouble by telling the whole story . What I recovered in Florida stayed in florida . Nobody can accuse me of taking out any gold or coins out of Florida . As such I did not commit any crime . Cornelius

Then get over it.

inletsurf, what is it with all you guys wanting to start a fight instead of trying to learn something on this Forum????

Cornelius, was relating something that happened to him. You could learn from that mistake. God knows, a lot of us in this business have learned the same mistake the hard way. If you don't want to learn from guys like Cornelius, that have TONS of experience, I suggest that you, DiverB, the guys attacking Troy and Grubby start your own treasure site. You could call it Grumpy Treasure hunters.

Oh, Play me a violin and cry me a river Old Man. You all are way, way too sensitive. :icon_thumright:

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Inletsurf . Are you one of the guys without any experience wanting to be part of this forum ? May I ask you where you did some diving ? What the result of this diving was ( diving outside the home swimming pool ) . What is your experience in treasure diving and salvage ? Let us know and we will exept your stupid remarks . Cornelius

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cornelis 816 said:
Inletsurf . Are you one of the guys without any experience wanting to be part of this forum ? May I ask you where you did some diving ? What the result of this diving was ( diving outside the home swimming pool ) . What is your experience in treasure diving and salvage ? Let us know and we will exept your stupid remarks . Cornelius

I've been diving since 1991, certified to intro trimix and extended range but honestly I find myself diving every week or other week (until the holidays) between 90 and 130 feet, sometimes to 160ft. I like to spearfish and that's what brought me here years ago...the hint of new wrecks to hit. However, most of these wrecks on this forum are shallow, which does me no good, but the history and cool people without big mfing egos like you kept me around. From time to time I hope to find "crumbs"...the shrimpers, trawlers, barges, and other wrecks I don't know about that some of these nice guys here have found with mags or sidescan and dont' really care. I want to shoot fish, really.

You've been run off once before I see, although I don't know the reason why I can certainly understand why they let the door hit you on the rear on your way out as your flapping your dentures. :hello:

If you want to bring your crepe' rolling self over here to FL and see who is more rugged of a diver, you just come on and let me know! I don't work for free so bring your francs or euros or croissants or whatever the hell you guys trade over there. It's likely I'll end up doing all the work with you sending us on wild goose chases, but I like good stories and entertaining people, so game on!

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
inletsurf, I don't play the violin and I haven't cried since I was 24 and working overseas as a Commercial Deep Sea Diver and had to come home when both of my parents were killed in a car accident and I had to be the one to tell my 12 year old sister who was in the hospital because she was also in the car accident, that both of her parents were no longer alive. :icon_pirat:

No need for me to reply to any more of your posts. Like Aquanut said, People like you should move to the Grumpy Old Man Forum,
you don't fit in around here.

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old man said:
inletsurf, I don't play the violin and I haven't cried since I was 24 and working overseas as a Commercial Deep Sea Diver and had to come home when both of my parents were killed in a car accident and I had to be the one to tell my 12 year old sister who was also in the car accident that both of her parents were no longer alive. :icon_pirat:

No need for me to reply to any more of your posts.

Too much info in response to a generic one-liner, you should seek a counselor, not a forum member. But thanks for your wise conclusion!

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Yes Sir you are the tepical know it all man . To me you are a lost case . So lets close this conversation . I am no longer interested in you. You are too smart for me , the tru pirate with many years behind him . Cornelius

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cornelis 816 said:
Yes Sir you are the tepical know it all man . To me you are a lost case . So lets close this conversation . I am no longer interested in you. You are too smart for me , the tru pirate with many years behind him . Cornelius

Yeah, you're a true pirate alright, a forum pirate that is. A regular day e-Blackbeard. I didn't know pirates had so much time on their hands to play on public forums all day long. What do I know. Technology ruins everything. Maybe I am not communicating to you properly, since you're a pirate and all. Let's try this. I meant to say early on to "arrrgh never ye mind the past, ye lass"

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
My dear young man . Don't try to measure up to the old guys . Can you put yourself in the same category as Mell Fisher and some of the other pro;s . Just because you have followed a diving course does not put you in the same category as us . Better be a little humble . Cornelius

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cornelis 816 said:
My dear young man . Don't try to measure up to the old guys . Can you put yourself in the same category as Mell Fisher and some of the other pro;s . Just because you have followed a diving course does not put you in the same category as us . Better be a little humble . Cornelius

No, but i certainly know YOU don't deserve to be in the same category as Mel Fisher. Hey, I told you I'm just a spearfisherman trying to learn about some local wrecks. When have I told you that my thousands of arduous dives made me a better treasure hunter than some guy in Europe treasure hunting on his keyboard? A better diver, sure. I'm pretty confident about that. But I never claimed to be a treasure hunter. Hey if you want to back up your claims that you are a better diver in your 10 ft shallow dives with your minelab than my thousands of >90 ft dives kicking down ledges yanking fat greys and lobster out of holes and in general killing as much fish as I can to fit on a stringer in one tank of gas, then so be it, PM me the next time in town and I will do your work for you. I will get my checklist ready: 1) Get metal detector. check. 2) go with self-claimed expert with all the secret spots. check 3) position boat for the old men. check 4) search with metal detector and dig for beer cans or artifacts after mailbox blows away overburden. check Yeah I think I got it. Is there a treasure hunting college or online graduate course I can get certified from so I can roll with you and your expert crew?

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
I really dont think Inletsurf is trying to start an argument. He is a smart guy, I know, and he probably was just saying to Corny to just dont bring it up anymore, in other words, as it is apparent he (Corny) doesnt like it, but we have seen it brought up a few times. Yes, I do know Inletsurf is a pot stirrer, maybe not here normally, but he doesnt like arguments and in-fighting. He is as interested as any of us in all this. He is smart enough to not talk like DiverBarone did. Right SG? ;D

Yes, but I don't like big egos and generally snide people who derail threads with some incident they mention on a weekly basis but will provide no details to, and I certainly cannot back down from thinly veiled insults from engaging expert forum pirates. This guy doesn't even have a parrot! I bet he still has both his legs. What a poseur. :laughing7:

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
No Sir you are a lost case . If you have dived with me in Mauritius and Madagascar and St Vincent and South Africa and Indonesia you may have some thing to say , but just diving in your home swimming pool does not count here . You want to say that you are in the same legue as Mel Fisher or Bob Marx or many of the others ? Come on boy , you may be a licensed diver but that does not mean that you sae measuring up to the old pro's . Now shut up and take yor losses . Cornelius

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cornelis 816 said:
No Sir you are a lost case . If you have dived with me in Mauritius and Madagascar and St Vincent and South Africa and Indonesia you may have some thing to say , but just diving in your home swimming pool does not count here . You want to say that you are in the same legue as Mel Fisher or Bob Marx or many of the others ? Come on boy , you may be a licensed diver but that does not mean that you sae measuring up to the old pro's . Now shut up and take yor losses . Cornelius

Maybe I am a lost case. WTF is wrong with me...I'm wasting time arguing with a keyboard "pirate" from Europe, who obviously can't seem to understand the past 5 posts. BTW DH, I live a few streets over from Bob Marx, and about 18 miles from Sebastian and the 1715 fleet, where the water is dirty and cold, not all exotic like Madagascar and St Vincent. So maybe I cannot say I'm in the same league as him but I'm definitely in the same neighborhood. :laughing7:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Cornelius, I really feel sorry for some guys that live and dive in Florida. The water is so cold and dirty. LMAO.
I'd hate to see what would happen if certain Florida divers had to dive in really cold water in the North Sea, New England or even New Jersey for that matter. Really breaks my heart. I only know one guy in our commercial dive class that got freaked out because we were trained to dive by feel because there was No visibility at all for part of the course. The other part we were still in cold water and the visibility was about 4 feet.

Florida Divers. Please don't take offense. I've dove with many of you that don't complain. I just thought it was funny that many guys from Maine to Michigan come to Florida every year to dive because they think the water is warm. So do I. :icon_pirat:

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old man said:
Florida Divers. Please don't take offense. I've dove with many of you that don't complain. I just thought it was funny that many guys from Maine to Michigan come to Florida every year to dive because they think the water is warm. So do I. :icon_pirat:

You are obviously not familiar with central florida. Agreed, I won't compare Florida to New England like you are, but I also won't compare it to indonesia or other exotic locales like Cornholius. Central FL is nothing like Jupiter south AT ALL. We get thermoclines every summer from the deep Atlantic upwellings usually between mid June and August where the bottom water temps run typically in the high 50's, and 5-10 ft vis is the best you can expect. Some summers it's not so bad, maybe mid 60's, some it's horrible, in the mid to upper 40's. One year back in 2003 or 2004 it was so bad many of the fish and lobster died. The water was so cold, you didn't know the bugs were dead until they stunk up the cooler...the cold water helped preserve them somewhat. The fish giveaway is always the cloudy eye, however, there were fish that were dead for weeks and it was too cold for the crabs to eat them. Most of the time, however, the fish and bugs are simply lethargic unless it goes below 52° or so. Upwelling temp changes are very sudden, its usually the shock that kills them.

In the winter, we have swells constantly stirring up the water. Last week I could not go diving because there was zero visibility 20 miles out. The best time of the year are those days in between the windy weather when the wind dies and the seas lay flat, where the current carries out the stirred up silt. And of course the late spring and early summer, where its flat for so long we get 20-30 ft visibility. That's the best you can ever expect for around here. Complain? I would rather dive dirty old sebastian ANY DAY over south florida. More fish, more spots, less crowds.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cornelius,

I am not joining this conversation for sake of argument, but I wanted to be clear as to what you are eluding to with your comments...

Are you saying that just because someone may not have been fortunate enough to log thousands of hours diving, treasure hunting and uhhh... "pirating" in far off exotic places, that they have nothing to offer and should not be allowed to take part on this forum because they may not "measure up to the old guys"? Since when has this forum been only for the "experts"? And I wouldn't be so quick to put yourself on a pedestal with all of those so called "old guys" as they have not always set the greatest of examples...

Everyone has something to contribute and those that may lack experience want to learn and this is a great place to do that if we can all be civil. And I must agree with others who have stated that you keep bringing up some "sour grapes" from your past treasure hunting (obviously here in Florida), but refuse to share the whole story so why even bring it up... it is a waste of everyones time including your own.

Just my two cents worth... Peace and happy hunting... Phips

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Phips , please read this thread over . It was not me that thought less of the other contributors to this forum . On the contrary it was the other guy that thought he was Gods gift to the diving world just because he had been using Try Mix aparatus . He P.... me as well as Oldman off because the way HE treated us . Not the other way around . I have no ill feelings toward any of our members . You should know that . Cornelius

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cornelius... no ill intent with my comments directed towards you. Just wanted to interrupt the senseless bickering and get back to the topic at hand. You clearly have extensive knowledge and experience with regards to shipwreck research and salvage... just don't forget that us "youngsters in the biz" might bring a fresh perspective to the table once in a while... i've been at this for 10 years now and have so much more to learn! Phips :thumbsup:

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Phips thank you for understanding . It always give me great pleasure to discuss things with the younger generation . That's what I am here for . Not to boast my own ego . I only want to teach where that is asked for . Regards Cornelius

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Dagfoto? What is this on the map?It is hard for me to see it - but the good news is my friend has 30 acres of land in this location on Perdido river.

Attachments

• mikes land.JPG
    mikes land.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 303

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so are we gonna sell these maps to interested parties or what...that's all i would like to know....oh...and how much?

Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread