Using U/W Scooters for sand blowing

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
I've used a Torpedo 2500 and 3500 for the removal of light overburden in deep water. It's effective as long as the sand is not too deep. Although, in certain areas, I have been successful at removing quite a bit of sand (up to 28 inches) with pretty good results. As far as moving sand in mass, PPV's are limited.

They are easy to control if they're held the right way and you have yourself positioned to expect it's thrust. Additonally, these PPV's are really good to use around rocking, ledge and habitat areas which have a covering of sand on them and in areas that are tight.

As an Dive Instructor, I would caution you on this; don't forget to check your air. It's easy to get caught up in the excitment of moving sand and discovering things with a PPV only to find yourself out of air.

Hope this helps,

Reef Dawg

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Most commercially available say the running time is 1 hour, but that is intermitant running. So maybe 45 minutes of solid running. As with any motor, you should not run it hard for long periods or it will get hot. If I was going to use one, I would have several back up batteries on hand. They do work good in certain situations. Yes, align yourself so the current will blow the dust down current, and blow at an angle.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
Most commercially available say the running time is 1 hour, but that is intermitant running. So maybe 45 minutes of solid running. As with any motor, you should not run it hard for long periods or it will get hot. If I was going to use one, I would have several back up batteries on hand. They do work good in certain situations. Yes, align yourself so the current will blow the dust down current, and blow at an angle.

Ahhh ok so the batteries are about the same as they were 15 years ago. That's what we had always figured.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That depends on what you are buying. There are numerous companies making UW scooters. Some are toys that I wouldnt use in my swimming pool, some are serious tools used for insane cave penetrations. The batteries and thier run time vary based on what you are buying. Better, longer lasting batteries also cost a LOT more. Some scooters cost more than a new car. You get what you pay for.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I designed and built a device for moving sand.Im still working on it changing some things on it.All i can say is it will move a lot of sand at any depth.You can hold it with 1 hand.No extra weight is needed.It could also be made to double as a DPV to get to where you are working...effortless.Run time on its own batteries is 4 hours.Topside batteries,all day.I was planning on putting 2 blowers on my boat.Not now.With this device i will build 2 much larger and powerful ones.No more need for a 3 point anchor system.Just a bow anchor.It looks like im going to have to get a patent on it as no one has made anything like this,ever.So no pics at this time.It will be made to treasure hunter industrial standards.pretty much indestructible.All T-6 aluminum,welded and anodized.Investors?You will have to sign a non-disclosure and a non compete for 25 years.Sand Serpent I & II.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Cornelius, I seem to remember a DPV device you created that could redirect the forward thrust to reduce the effort needed to blow sand from the bottom. Care to share it again here? Would greatly appreciate it as always !

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
I designed and built a device for moving sand.Im still working on it changing some things on it.All i can say is it will move a lot of sand at any depth.You can hold it with 1 hand.No extra weight is needed.It could also be made to double as a DPV to get to where you are working...effortless.Run time on its own batteries is 4 hours.Topside batteries,all day.I was planning on putting 2 blowers on my boat.Not now.With this device i will build 2 much larger and powerful ones.No more need for a 3 point anchor system.Just a bow anchor.It looks like im going to have to get a patent on it as no one has made anything like this,ever.So no pics at this time.It will be made to treasure hunter industrial standards.pretty much indestructible.All T-6 aluminum,welded and anodized.Investors?You will have to sign a non-disclosure and a non compete for 25 years.Sand Serpent I & II.

If you need a beta tester!!! :hello:
Sounds awesome!!
That would knock off about 10k in fuel needed for blower operations per season.

A better mouse trap was a normal discussion. I found it interesting hearing from the guys what some people have done over the years and found treasure besides standard mailboxes. Danny Porter and friend used a Catamaran and netting with a dredge, Bob Weller used a jet boat, Harold Holden used a barge with a big arse central prop. He said it blew one heck of a hole.

OP
OP
S

StingerSteve

Jan 5, 2011
Anyone have feedback on the Bladefish 5000 DPV scooter? Divers Direct in Ft. Lauderdale sells them for $700. All the reviews were good, but would appreciate feedback from kids who are rough on their toys.

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Research Search and Salvage put out a scooter without the scooter a few years back Carl called it the Digger. Just the blades and battery, wasnt ment for movement just for moving sand. The concept was good, I had the privilege of trying out a prototype. In 137ft of water i started up the machine , I was immediatly engulfed in a plume of white sand. Within seconds my regulator was ripped from my mouth, I was on my knees, blind and without any air. Starting to assend I also found myself wrapped in yellow poly. Long story short, make sure the "Digger" has a shroud covering the blades.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Two things I can tell you about scooters for excavation....

1. The first two years of the Jupiter Wreck I went through with
a black and blue chest from them hitting me there as I braced
myself in position for them to do their thing.... :headbang: :headbang:

2. I use to keep a stick around and would hit any of my crew over the
head if I caught them waisting the battery packs riding the scooters
around the wreck site! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres no such thing as a "scooter without the scooter"! All a DPV is, is a battery, motor and prop with an UW housing. You cant remove anything from that and have anything functional for any purpose. If it's capable of blowing sand, it's capable of pushing / pulling a diver.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
StingerSteve said:
Anyone have feedback on the Bladefish 5000 DPV scooter? Divers Direct in Ft. Lauderdale sells them for $700. All the reviews were good, but would appreciate feedback from kids who are rough on their toys.

It's a toy. Don't waste your money.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
A scooter when reversed , will push you away from the bottom . That is not what you want is it ? I used a powerful electromoter being connected to the inboard battery or the alternator . Looking at the picture , the bottom part is the outflow of the water and the two elbows are the inflow . When the elbows ( inflow ) are both turned in the direction of the outflow , the inflow will work against the outflow and as such cancel the two forces . The outflow will push while the inflow ( through the elbows ) will suck . If you turn the two elbows in the other direction ( the elbows can pivot ) than the outflow and the inflow will work together and the scooter can be used as a full working scooter . Cornelius

Attachments

• Scooter.jpg
    Scooter.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 649

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Yes I used it and it worked very good . Ofcause the size of the prop and the size of the electromoter have a lot to do with it . Mine blew like crazy though . The couplig again is a magnetic coupling . Coprnelius

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Are you going to bring it with you this summer? I'd like to look at it, If I could see the internals I could build a couple here in the shop for us to use on our adventure.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
pvet7521 said:
Research Search and Salvage put out a scooter without the scooter a few years back Carl called it the Digger. Just the blades and battery, wasnt ment for movement just for moving sand. The concept was good, I had the privilege of trying out a prototype. In 137ft of water i started up the machine , I was immediatly engulfed in a plume of white sand. Within seconds my regulator was ripped from my mouth, I was on my knees, blind and without any air. Starting to assend I also found myself wrapped in yellow poly. Long story short, make sure the "Digger" has a shroud covering the blades.

So what's the rest of the story since you thankfully survived?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread