Investing in the 1715 salvage efforts?? Is there much left to be found??

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LSMORGAN

nice mockup!!

Reale Eight and Harold Holden used a barge with a horizontal blower like that. As far as the vortex created you just have to place a baffle inside the top opening. I believe that's how Harold overcame that problem. You could easily power that with an outboard to get to and from a wreck site.

I've always wondered about cost on that but I guess it's more of, stick with what we know. In my current case of trying to put together an operation I wouldn't want to spend investor’s money working out the kinks for an entire season! People tend to get disgruntled when treasure isn't being found.

Remember the three "M's" are villains to a treasure hunter; Mother Nature, Mechanicals and Money!

The first one people tend to understand. The second one you can overcome by throwing more of the third at, but the third is usually the bigger hurdle for many. If you start asking investors for more of the third to cover the second they tend to get a little disgruntled yet again.

When we started in 1997 we were one of the few to use outboards. Fortunately for us we knew the right people but we still tried to do it "our way". After trying to manually place blowers on the lower units in swells we had to get them mounted on the transom and lost a couple weeks of work time, not good. Yeah I bought Brandon a few rum and cokes to keep the "I told you so's" from coming too often! :wink:

But every operation has a learning curve. Learning how your crew works, learning how your boat works, finding out you need to add this or modify that and learning how your boat blows holes.
This is one of the reasons why I’m looking at a 5 year project. Now I’m not as “credentialed” as some others but that’s why you get a larger chunk of the operation per $ invested and you get it for 5 years instead of 1 year. I have owned a fulltime operation so I know what needs to be done out there. I don’t blow a few holes a day and then drink and tell lies all night. I blow as many holes as I can all day and then drink and tell lies most of the night!! (end of plug :laughing9:)

A few years ago Greg himself told everybody to invest now because the price is going up!! That’s what happens when you make those kinds of recoveries. Your reputation is immortalized and recorded into history, you have the proven track record and now you get a better price. Just like good performing companies on the stock market. They deserve it too!

It’s like I tell many non-treasure hunters. It isn’t easy, if it was easy everyone would do it. You can look at charts and overlays but when you get out there it’s a huge ocean. 50+ miles of treasure waiting for us but you’re going to pay your dues.

I won’t mention his name because he turned out to be a thief but Frogfoot had pictures of a guy who kept his junk, beer cans, pop cans and piled them in his back yard. It was a huge pile. That’s what you’ll find practically every day. But those times when you do find treasure make it worthwhile. Just remember that press clippings aren’t always accurate in detail most people don’t get in a boat and jump overboard on top of a pile of gold like they would have the public believe. It’s back breaking work and days of nothing but trash recovery.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I won't mention his name because he turned out to be a thief.......

I will!

'Modern-day pirate' put on probation

William Elam, 44, was sentenced to five years probation and 150 hours of community service as punishment for stealing several shipwreck artifacts from state land.

By Tony Judnich staff writer
February 13, 2003

Elam, 44, was sentenced Wednesday by Indian River County Circuit Court Judge Cynthia Cox to five years probation and 150 hours of community service as punishment for stealing several shipwreck artifacts, such as cannonballs and ship's rigging, from submerged state land last year. He's prohibited from diving in waters over state land during his probation, unless officials from the state Division of Historical Resources need him to help document the exact locations where he found some of the items he stole. Jim Miller, state archaeologist for the division, said he's not sure yet if the state will need Elam's assistance. Elam also was ordered to pay $5,500 in investigation costs. His probation could end after three years if he follows all probation requirements.
"I'm going to miss diving," Elam said.
Elam, who makes a living doing yard and roof work and other jobs, does not have a salvage permit. He had pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful excavation of archaeological specimens, a third-degree felony, and one count of unlawful removal of archaeological specimens, a misdemeanor. "It's our hope that this sentence will send a message to modern-day pirates that Florida's historical treasures are not available for plunder," said Assistant State Attorney Ryan Butler. Elam, who was represented by Assistant Public Defender Michael Heisey, said he understands the message. "I love diving and looking for things," Elam said after leaving the courtroom, "but I got in trouble bringing in artifacts. I did something stupid." Miller, who did not attend the sentencing, said state officials helped create the sentencing recommendation. "I thought it was appropriate and am glad it was agreed to," he said.
Some of the stolen historical artifacts were seized from Elam last summer. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission had received a report that Elam was seen removing various objects from the ocean near Vero Beach. Last November, commission officials using a search warrant found several other stolen artifacts at Elam's residence. Investigators said he took several of the objects from areas of the ocean floor that are only to be explored under state contracts held by salvage companies, such as Historical Research and Development Inc., of Orlando and Fort Pierce. Butler said Elam told investigators that he took some objects from the Florida Panhandle. Historical Research and Development President Ernie Kling attended the sentencing and said he was satisfied with Elam's sentence. A videotape containing footage of Elam smashing corrosion and crustaceans off of objects was among the items seized from Elam's home last November. Butler said the footage was disturbing because it showed no regard for possible historical artifacts. Elam said he had made the tape for a friend, to show what the objects looked like before he altered them. "I'm pretty sure those pieces (that were smashed) were pieces of a vehicle's suspension," he said. "I've seen parts of dune buggies and car frames (underwater) before."
Elam's community service requirement calls for him to educate the public on the importance of preserving and documenting historical artifacts. For example, he must help state officials create a public service announcement renouncing illegal artifact collecting.

- [email protected]
http://www.tcpalm.com/

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I just personally didn't want to put his name out there. Some people confuse infamy as fame...

But hmmm that's not the thieving of his I was talking about, this was prior to 2003.
Was he caught yet again?

So to stay on topic :P don't pirate the 1715 fleet area leases, if you want to work them, work them legally!

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does Elam have to do with this post? I'm gonna bite my f'ing tongue on this one. So Billy took so much it's all gone? lol.

Billy if you are reading this. Here is my personal view on this is...your downfall was you didn't write a few books first :notworthy:
People in this business can be such hypocrites at times. :o

As far as this topic. There is plenty left to find out there. Investing is the difficult part to answer.

Trez

REALESALVAGE

Jun 25, 2010
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse, Pulse 8, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Idea and concept it has been tried many times, truth is these mailboxes just tend to work the best...

Attachments

• 180.jpg
    180.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 595

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Troy, the Conq is looking a lot better than it has for a while. Hope it doesnt get too warm in there during the simmer, I mean summer. ;D Steve.

REALESALVAGE

Jun 25, 2010
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse, Pulse 8, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve, The helm and cabin AC's are working well, It chills down nicley, Although I have not needed them in quite sometime. The heat works great also... BTW Just like AU Said... There is still a ton of Treasure on the 1715 it just takes a bit more determination than it did before... :BangHead: LOL

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You put a gennie on?

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trez said:
??? really he took so much it's all gone.
well that's one of the reasons why I didn't want to add his name, it wasn't/isn't about him....

I brought up that subject in the context of what really happens on a daily basis.
I tell non treasure hunters about those pictures all the time, but here I knew some people would know who it was.

So while I believe there to be enough treasure out there to make all us here wealthy I did/do want to express the fact that it isn't easy. There are more days of no treasure than days of treasure.

As I used to tell prospective investors in another business venture of mine. I can only guarantee that you’ll work your ass off… There was/is no reason to sugar coat it or paint false visions of grandeur.

I'd rather have no investors than investors I had to lie to or mislead to obtain.

As I told my brother and a good friend; when we would pop down to Pompano Beach for a dive charter with Omega Blue when we were doing business in Florida it cost us about $135 total just to get wet, look at the reefs, get scared by barracuda and moray eels or hunt bugs. More if we did the double dive. For about the same amount of money you could run a boat for the day and have a chance at finding some treasure. Startup is the hump, operational isn’t too bad after that.

Last edited:

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Investing in the 1715 salvage efforts??

makahaman

e-mailed you this morning

hadn't seen this post yet - quick answer to "Is there much left to be found??"

YES!!!

Bonnie

Jan 30, 2011
Well makahamn, you probably opened a can of worms asking about investing in the 1715 Fleet.

I was at the Fisher Museum in Sebastian talking about the dearth of money when I was shown your mail on TNet.

I'm at home now west of Ft Lauderdale, joining TNet to reply to your questions about what is left within the fleet and, oh yes, investing.

Plenty. That's the only way to answer your question about whats left in the realm of treasure. Bonnie is proof positive of a miniscule part of what can be found on any given day. And there is not a one of us that would not trade places with her and Jo in a heartbeat! Prospectors and pirates have been at it for years and years and just the recorded manifests indicate that there are millions left to be recovered, in artifacts and literal treasure.

It comes about thru investers as yourself, supporting our efforts in the field.

I will enter my third conract with the Fisher/Brisbane organization this year and the only thing that is lacking is the funding. We have a 42 foot vessel outfitted for the search and are only waiting for the weather to break.

If you would like a brochure about us before you come this way, just reply to my email address. [email protected]

Best of luck,
Bob

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Makahaman - Danny, you've been thinking for all these years, it's time to jump aboard, my friend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread