Best Deep Water Metal Detector??
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best Deep Water Metal Detector??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    kadafy skoal

Best Deep Water Metal Detector??

I hope I got the right Forum...

I was wondering everybodies thoughts on there favorite, most reliable, deep water detector. When I say deep water, I mean about 100'. I looked at the Whites Surf PI PRO. Any input

us
    discovering & preserving our past for future generations

Dec 2004
    Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
    99 times
    Shipwrecks

Re: Best Deep Water Metal Detector??

Hmmm, if the detector contains the word "surf" in the title, I wouldn't be so sure about taking it down "100!

The Garrett Mark II is known for its reliability, water tight case, reasonable price great Garrett customer service. The AquaPulse is also very reliable, but more expensive.

Just my 2 cents.

us
    ScubaGecko

Jun 2004
    Beaufort, SC
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
    54 times

kadafy skoal,

Welcome to the forum. I currently use the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and it is very reliable. Probably the best detector for the price. I considered the Whites Surf PI before I bought my Garrett, absolutely no regrets!

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Ays

May 2004
    Satellite Beach
    Minelab Excal 1000
    142 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

While I donít use either of the detectors that Tom and Robert recommend, I have seen them (the detectors), in action and they have all produced stunning results. As a matter of fact, I canít say as I have ever heard a negative comment about the ability of any underwater detector being used underwater.
    My personal preference is the MineLab Excalibur 1000 (rated to -200 feet). I have been using it for many years with no problems, and she has paid for herself several times over. Do some comparison shopping at Kellyco.com, and choose your weapon.

Q

us
    Jun 2006
    TreasureTerrain.com
    NOX 800
    303 times

I agree with the minelab 1000.

Aug 2013
    Is it possible to detach the coil from the metal detector, attach a thirty foot long cable to it and to troll it behind a boat? Would the readings register on the meter?

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6705 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikhan View Post
    Is it possible to detach the coil from the metal detector, attach a thirty foot long cable to it and to troll it behind a boat? Would the readings register on the meter?
    That is a question that you would have to ask the Garrett, Minelab, Aqua Scan, JW Fisher and White's companies! What you are asking for, is a Metal Detector and Magnetometer all in one unit and as far as I know, there is no such system out there that works as both. In reality, if you could detach the coil from the underwater metal detector, have it boat towed underwater some 30 feet behind the boat and have the control unit on board, besides the extra long cabling needed, I believe that the system would require a two-way signal amplifier to boost the signal both ways. If you are looking to locate something on the bottom with a magnetometer, anchor up, then dive down and pinpoint the object and retrieve it, then you don't want to have a system that requires breaking down and modifying with each and every signal detected in the magnetometer mode. Therefore, it would be best to purchase both an underwater metal detector and a boat towed magnetometer!

Frank

us
    Zodiacdiverdave

Mar 2011
    The North Atlantic Ocean
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
    1368 times
    JW Fisher has the MDer you are looking for, it is the Pulse 8X. Check them out.
    JW Fishers - Pulse 8x metal detector, underwater,* sonar, magnetometer, rov, video, pinger, cable tracker
    ZDD
    Living the dream

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6705 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiacdiverdave View Post
    JW Fisher has the MDer you are looking for, it is the Pulse 8X. Check them out.
    JW Fishers - Pulse 8x metal detector, underwater,* sonar, magnetometer, rov, video, pinger, cable tracker
    ZDD
    You are right! I just purchased a JW Fishers Pulse 8X from Global Marine Explorations, Inc. and forgot that it is capable of doing both if configured with interchangeable coils and not hard-wired. Mine is hard-wired!

Frank

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1813 times
    Shipwrecks
    Aquapulse makes a 15" coil with a kevlar reinforced 20 meter cable for towing behind a boat. I called the tech staff at Aquapulse and they said the 20 meter cable is a low loss cable that won't affect the signal.

http://www.aquascan.co.uk/AQ1B%20opt...Feb%202013.pdf
    Last edited by Salvor6; Sep 01, 2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added link.

us
    Feb 2004
    lake mary florida
    Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
    331 times
    I have a TEG that's rated for 1000 feet.Too bad the company doesn't make them anymore.I bought it on ebay years ago for $100.
    Millions of dollars of Spanish treasure await those who would dare brave the eye of the hurricane.

us
    Jul 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Aqua Pulse AQ1B
    52 times
    Shipwrecks
    Hi, we are the reps for Aqua Pulse detectors in the US. We do have a 15" coil with a 30 meter kevlar reinforced cable that is made to be towed behind a boat. Most guys build a little PVC sled for it, Salvor 6 has a nice one he might show you if you are interested. More info is available at www.aquapulseusa.com and you can call me directly at the number on that site. The AQ1B is rated to 300 feet and in my opinion is the most durable and sensitive PI unit on the market...I have used them all. Feel free to contact me.

gb
    Virgin Hunter

Apr 2013
    VIRGIN ISLANDS
    ACE 250 AT Pro SEA HUNTER 2 Garrett Pro Pointer Ghost Amphibian Headphones Vibra Probe 580 Vibra Tector 730
    1797 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I love SCUBA with my Garrett Sea Hunter 2, but will be taking delivery on an AQUASCAN in a few weeks...!
    huntsman53 and hookahforgold like this.
    It's OK to be disappointed AFTER you dug it - as long as you never forget; that BEFORE you dug it, it had the POTENTIAL to be life changing!

us
    Underwater Heritage Rescue Diver

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
    433 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    Can't wait to see what you find with it BVI - Maybe I should hand deliver it and provide some "on-site" training. :-)
    huntsman53 likes this.

gb
    Virgin Hunter

Apr 2013
    VIRGIN ISLANDS
    ACE 250 AT Pro SEA HUNTER 2 Garrett Pro Pointer Ghost Amphibian Headphones Vibra Probe 580 Vibra Tector 730
    1797 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaFinder View Post
    Can't wait to see what you find with it BVI - Maybe I should hand deliver it and provide some "on-site" training. :-)
    I'll chill the beers.....!
    It's OK to be disappointed AFTER you dug it - as long as you never forget; that BEFORE you dug it, it had the POTENTIAL to be life changing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links