Best Deep Water Metal Detector??

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hmmm, if the detector contains the word "surf" in the title, I wouldn't be so sure about taking it down "100!

The Garrett Mark II is known for its reliability, water tight case, reasonable price great Garrett customer service. The AquaPulse is also very reliable, but more expensive.

Just my 2 cents.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
kadafy skoal,

Welcome to the forum. I currently use the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and it is very reliable. Probably the best detector for the price. I considered the Whites Surf PI before I bought my Garrett, absolutely no regrets!

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I don’t use either of the detectors that Tom and Robert recommend, I have seen them (the detectors), in action and they have all produced stunning results. As a matter of fact, I can’t say as I have ever heard a negative comment about the ability of any underwater detector being used underwater.
My personal preference is the MineLab Excalibur 1000 (rated to -200 feet). I have been using it for many years with no problems, and she has paid for herself several times over. Do some comparison shopping at Kellyco.com, and choose your weapon.

Q

Alikhan

Aug 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible to detach the coil from the metal detector, attach a thirty foot long cable to it and to troll it behind a boat? Would the readings register on the meter?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it possible to detach the coil from the metal detector, attach a thirty foot long cable to it and to troll it behind a boat? Would the readings register on the meter?

That is a question that you would have to ask the Garrett, Minelab, Aqua Scan, JW Fisher and White's companies! What you are asking for, is a Metal Detector and Magnetometer all in one unit and as far as I know, there is no such system out there that works as both. In reality, if you could detach the coil from the underwater metal detector, have it boat towed underwater some 30 feet behind the boat and have the control unit on board, besides the extra long cabling needed, I believe that the system would require a two-way signal amplifier to boost the signal both ways. If you are looking to locate something on the bottom with a magnetometer, anchor up, then dive down and pinpoint the object and retrieve it, then you don't want to have a system that requires breaking down and modifying with each and every signal detected in the magnetometer mode. Therefore, it would be best to purchase both an underwater metal detector and a boat towed magnetometer!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aquapulse makes a 15" coil with a kevlar reinforced 20 meter cable for towing behind a boat. I called the tech staff at Aquapulse and they said the 20 meter cable is a low loss cable that won't affect the signal.

http://www.aquascan.co.uk/AQ1B options Feb 2013.pdf

Last edited:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a TEG that's rated for 1000 feet.Too bad the company doesn't make them anymore.I bought it on ebay years ago for $100.

Jul 18, 2013
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi, we are the reps for Aqua Pulse detectors in the US. We do have a 15" coil with a 30 meter kevlar reinforced cable that is made to be towed behind a boat. Most guys build a little PVC sled for it, Salvor 6 has a nice one he might show you if you are interested. More info is available at www.aquapulseusa.com and you can call me directly at the number on that site. The AQ1B is rated to 300 feet and in my opinion is the most durable and sensitive PI unit on the market...I have used them all. Feel free to contact me.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love SCUBA with my Garrett Sea Hunter 2, but will be taking delivery on an AQUASCAN in a few weeks...!

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Can't wait to see what you find with it BVI - Maybe I should hand deliver it and provide some "on-site" training. :-)

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't wait to see what you find with it BVI - Maybe I should hand deliver it and provide some "on-site" training. :-)

I'll chill the beers.....!

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll chill the beers.....!

The Aquapulse is an awesome machine for sure. I have an old 1a and it is the bomb. BVI, if you or your mates have any "Victory" down around Bimini, drop me a line.

Alikhan

Aug 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,
What is a good magnetometer, on that will not break the bank.
Alikhan

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We still have :censored:

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aqua pulse is what we use. It is a great machine responsible for the discovery of some amazing underwater artifacts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread