What is the required reading for maritime treasure salvage?

mckee

Aug 13, 2010
Re: What is the 'required reading' for maritime treasure salvage?

Watching TREASURE QUEST DVD the program detailing the exploits of Odyssey Marine Exploration, you'll spot a dog-earred copy of Potter's THE TREASURE DIVER'S GUIDE prominent on their bookshelf, and they even reference it in a couple of episodes.

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Picked up a 1972 ed of "The Treasure Divers Guide" (reading copy with no jacket) off Amazon.

It is indeed a helluva book. I guess one can usually assume that by the the time info hits a book, you're too late to the party, but a most of this stuff comes off as 'relevant research' and it seems like a lot of these ships hadn't yet been found, when it was originally written... and probably, quite a few still haven't been.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Old Bookaroo wrote:

bronzecannons:
Tony did a very nice job on that book - I certainly agree with you! If this is a topic of interest to you, it's tough to beat Frank Pope's Dragon Sea. I could not put it down once I started.

bronzecannons is Tony Wells.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

mad4wrecks:

Then I'm glad I could, in all honesty, have something nice to say about that book!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill why are you polluting the shipwreck forum with all these dead threads? Some of the original posters have not posted in more than 10 years. If anything, start a new thread.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gee, Pete. I wasn't aware that you were appointed the Dead Thread Policeman...but here is why -- as it gets closer to the 1715 season, I get more people asking me how to find information. The threads I bumped are (as far as I am aware) some of the best ones involving that subject. I figured I* would make them easier to find.
No reason to re-hash the same subjects when they've been well discussed in the past.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
I am still laughing on this guy's "well researched book". On p. 275 he states that the Azores are composed of ten major islands... well, they are only nine.. :laughing7:

potter.JPG

Darren in NC:

Thank you for helping to clear that up! I was trying to help - not be obscure.

You mentioned that Potter's book is "surprisingly accurate." I'd certainly agree with that. When I was working in the Caribbean in the mid-70's, there was the story going around about the tourist couple who went to a dive shop, rented equipment, and said "Oh - we'll take a copy of that book."

"That book," of course, being Potter's.

Several days later they turned in the gear. The diveshop operator, feeling a bit sarcastic, asked "Well, did you have any luck?"

"Oh yes," the couple replied. "It was all right where the book said it was."

Splash,

~The Old Bookaroo

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Perhaps he never visited. There are a number of books, especially older ones, but as late as the 70s that state there are ten islands that comprise the Azores. A cursory book search would tell you this.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Any good chart, starting from the 16th century, would show you that there are only 9, not 10.

Speaking of the Azores:

"The European Heritage Label has been awarded to ten new sites that have played a significant role in the history and culture of Europe or the building of the European Union. The awards were announced on 31 March 2020."

https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/cre...derwater-cultural-heritage-azores-portugal_en

Perhaps he never visited. There are a number of books, especially older ones, but as late as the 70s that state there are ten islands that comprise the Azores. A cursory book search would tell you this.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill why are you polluting the shipwreck forum with all these dead threads?

a lot has happened in 10 years...

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
I'm trying to get to the point where my understanding of historic wrecks is solid enough to branch out into independent research. So far, I've been plowing through a lot of sunken treasure books from Amazon- some have been very interesting, others, kinda fluffy, a few, VERY fluffy.

We have some heavy hitting salvors here, so, what would you guys say is the required reading as far as books on underwater treasure hunting? Are there any 'definitive books' that everyone must read in order to grasp the game?

10378951_10205231008966194_7210257650344224280_n.jpg COVER of Book TWO TINY turned.jpg (and it wouldn't surprise me if this question has already been answered- if so, a link to that thread would be great)

Any help appreciated

LM
Here is the Treasure Hunters Bible

grantler

Jan 11, 2004
near munich
Detector(s) used
Goldpic,XP ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
A few from my shelf .