Shipwreck Identification

LuckyKevin

Jan 27, 2011
FL
My partner and I have been investigating a shipwreck. Haw anyone ever seen any containers like this? What were they carrying? How old might they be? I have some close up pics of the strange faces they are decorated with from some samples that were recovered.

Kevin

Attachments

• DSC_2180 (Large) copy.jpg
    DSC_2180 (Large) copy.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 2,747
  • DSC_2189 (Large) copy.jpg
    DSC_2189 (Large) copy.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,094

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Those are Bellamine jugs . They were used to hold Jenever ( Gin ) or Wine . They were in use for a long time ( say from 1600 till 1800 ) . That is some beautifull wreck you have there . Cornelius

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like bottles from the 19th century in fresh water with tanic acid like the st johns river or a lake.

OP
OP
L

LuckyKevin

Jan 27, 2011
FL
Fresh water...cold.

Here are some closeups

Attachments

• Example (1) (Large).jpg
    Example (1) (Large).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 679
  • bert5 (Large) (Large).jpg
    bert5 (Large) (Large).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 733

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Picture one is a Bellarmine bottle . picture two is a Onion bottle , quite differente from the Bellarmine bottle . So don't give us some information . Give us the whole story . Cornelius

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a drysuit and more tanks than I know what to do with (not really) including doubles sets. Want help on that wreck?

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Do you guys have a permit for this wreck ? Is it your wreck or are the pistures from somebody else ? Don't clean the jugs . Jugs with some seaborn growth are more valuable . If you have some jugs for sale I am interested . Cornelius

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second Cornelius and am interested in the Bellarmines. To get a good overview of the bottles and the Bellarmines buy a copy of " A Guide to Artifacts of Colonial America" by Ivor Noel Hume. Hume was the chief archaeologist at Colonial Williamsburg and this book should be in the library of anyone interested in artifacts of the colonial period. I used it at 3 different universities as a text book along with his other publications on historical archaeology.

Based on the pictures of your artifacts it appears they are from the early 1600's.

Keep up the good work and please post more pics when possible. Any hull remains?

Pirate diver

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Lucky Kevin . Did you dive on this vessel ? Did you take these pictures or are you just giving us a story ! I assume that it is a cold water wreck . Cornelius

OP
OP
L

LuckyKevin

Jan 27, 2011
FL
Cornelius:

It is an ongoing project so I am not a liberty to give many of the details as we are still actively trying to determine if we need a permit, etc. I am back home now. We only have a narrow weather window to accomplish work on the site and don't want someone else jumping our claim in the meantime. I have answered your other question you sent PM. And will give the group additional details of the discovery and recovery efforts as we progress.

Thanks to everyone for your imput, expertise, advice and interest.

Kevin

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin: is there any sign of hull remains or other structure. The artifacts suggest a very early wreck, especially if it is in the U.S. If you need any archaeological input please ask. I'm the archaeologist for 3 sites in Mass. now, dating from 1710, 1745 and 1796.

BTW, is that your Vette, she's a beauty!

Pirate Diver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread