Shipwrecks of Southwest Florida

atedeschi

Greenie
Jun 15, 2006
I will be going to the Fort Myers, FL area and I am looking for some wrecks to dive/research. But I want do do some deeper stuff like 100+ range. I am looking for wrecks that my still have artifacts to document and take pictures of. I am also looking for wrecks not in protected areas for as I have dove and document wrecks in that area in protected waters. Thanks in Advanced.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Atedeshi here is a wreck for you. There is an old paddlewheel steam ship sunk 33 miles W. of Marco Is. in 80' of water. The identity of the wreck is a mystery. Also, what is a riverboat doing 33 miles offshore? Divers have recovered an Ashcroft gage made in 1898 from the wreck which lies upside down. If you can get into the hull there might be some more clues to the identity along with valuable artifacts. The wreck is located at: 25*-53.320N, 82*-17.510W.

OP
OP
atedeschi

atedeschi

Greenie
Jun 15, 2006
Thanks salvor 6 I appreciate the help. It looks like something to look into. If you or anyone else knows of any wrecks please let me know. Thanks again.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just remembered there are 2 more huge wrecks right off the Ft. Myers area. The Bayronto is a 400' freighter that sank 0n Sept. 11, 1919 during a hurricane. She sits upside down in 100' of water at: 26*-45.800, 82*-50.840. There are 3 big holes in the hull that makes entry easy.

The Baja California is a 265' freighter that was torpedoed on July 18, 1942. She sank on her port side in 115' of water. The Baja CA was carrying general cargo for Honduras. There is still tons of artifacts, bottles, china and ceramics in the forward cargo hold. She is located at: 25*-21.522, 82*-31.901.

Atedeshi do you have a boat? If you plan on diving these wrecks let me know, I might go with you.

OP
OP
atedeschi

atedeschi

Greenie
Jun 15, 2006
THanks again. Does anyone have any information about what is called the Oil Wreck of the gulf coast.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The "Oil Wreck" is a 400 foot tanker located at: 26*-01.123, 82*-45.375. She is believed to be the Munger T. Ball torpedoed by the U-507 in 1942 but has not been positively identified.

Dick-NY

Greenie
Jan 6, 2006
Salvor 6, do you get all your coordinances from the "Shipwreck Book" by Walter Bonet ? I would like to find a reference database that would give me similar info for the northeast.
Also, inland waterways for the northeast also. Thanks, Dick-NY

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The book by Walter Bonet doesn't have coordinates for Gulf wrecks. I have a database that I collected from various sources over the last 25 years.

OP
OP
atedeschi

atedeschi

Greenie
Jun 15, 2006
Salvor6 i was wondering if you recieved my email. If not let me know and ill send you another one.

P

peterjl

Hey, if you all go on another ship wreck around texas or the gulf of mexico and try to look for artifacts,gold, or anything valuable. I would go and help if I can. [email protected]

later, Peter

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
having dove almost every thing off ft meyers area the baja caifornia is your best bet bring something to dig with besides your hands tons of broken glass and bottles but you can find good peices the oil wreck is upside down and for some reason vis is seldom good many other modern wrecks not much on them but i am usually spearfishing let me know when you get down

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread