1715 Fleet/Beach Combing

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
Relatively new at this and have been reading as much as I could before I make my first venture. After looking at the area in person and maps, it seems there are quite a few stretches of very narrow land south of the Sebastian Inlet separating the ocean side from the Intercoastal!
Has anyone searched or had any success looking on the Intercoastal Side after the past Hurricanes.
The ocean met the Intercoastal at quite a few spots during the hurricanes and anything left on the ocean side, surely would have also been deposited on the Intercoastal side!
Make any sense?
And do the leases also cover the intercoastal, or just the ocean side?
Just a thought from someone new at this!

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes.... must of us who hunt in those beaches think there has to be treasure on the other side. I have not search the other side yet, I am waiting to go with a group....

Best,

Chagy.........

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,047
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,030

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have searched the other side. I believe it is part of the state park though. :(

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tedpank...

Yes there are "goodies" to be had on the river side, but if you are caught "working" that area, as the expression goes... "there's trouble in river city!!" You really need to do your research before attempting to TH along the ICW otherwise the time spent will not be productive in comparison to the risk involved. Oh yeah... and if you find something there... don't post it anywhere as forums are monitored by "undesirables seeking to stamp out treasure hunters forever!!" Best of luck and watch out for snakes and gators... both in the wild and at your door!

Phips

OP
OP
tedpank

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
Took a ride and checked out Turtle to Sea Grape Trail further north to Wabasso and up to the McLarty Museum and onto the Area of the Old Chucks Steakhouse!
Who needs a metal detector, going back to the car at Sea Grape I found a nickel in the parking lot! ... Maybe a sign of things to come! .. Ha! ..
Also took a look at "goggle earth". Great tool if you haven;t used it yet! Ironically after putting in the lat and long of the cabin wreck north of the McLarty Museum it shows a surface ship directly on the coordinates. (probably a sub-contractor). Photos are not in real time though.
Glad I found this forum, a wealth of information and great people! Now how do we get on the barrier island after the next storm? (Think being a retired cop would help get past the roadblocks?

OP
OP
tedpank

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
Stopped at the McLarty Museum this afternoon! Great Place!
I asked about using a medal detector in the waters of the Intercoastal and they said there is no problem! But not on Park property?
Did I misunderstand the previous post about not being able to hunt on the Intercoastal
side??

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
tedpank said:
Took a ride and checked out Turtle to Sea Grape Trail further north to Wabasso and up to the McLarty Museum and onto the Area of the Old Chucks Steakhouse!
Who needs a metal detector, going back to the car at Sea Grape I found a nickel in the parking lot! ... Maybe a sign of things to come! .. Ha! ..
Also took a look at "goggle earth". Great tool if you haven;t used it yet! Ironically after putting in the lat and long of the cabin wreck north of the McLarty Museum it shows a surface ship directly on the coordinates. (probably a sub-contractor). Photos are not in real time though.
Glad I found this forum, a wealth of information and great people! Now how do we get on the barrier island after the next storm? (Think being a retired cop would help get past the roadblocks?

Hey,

I am glad you are enjoying Treasure Coast.... So you are a retired cop that can get past the roadblocks...Hummm...Can I be your friend..Hehhehhh ;D ;D....Have fun its a great area...In the museum they sell great books about the area... If you have questions just ask we are here to help...my good friend the ex-cop..hehhhehhh ;D ;D

Best,

Chagy.......

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi tedpank...

If you think about it and look around, you'll find that 90% of what is not State park or preserve on the ICW... is private property!! Either get permission or don't get caught.

And no, your retired LEO status will not help get you over to the beach after a hurricane... I have been an LEO for 18 years and hold current cert. in Florida, but am not working as an LEO anymore... it doesn't help. You will have to get written permission from a private individual to stay on the beachside during a storm or be a sly little scallywag (like many of us) and once again, try not to get caught. Typically all the authorities will do is send you packin'...

I hope you don't take it that I am being discouraging as I am not trying to do that... just trying to fill you in on the politics and the way things are around here. Best of luck to you...

Phips

OP
OP
tedpank

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
Hey Thanks for the insight! ... And not at all Phips, appreciate any advice or
direction from anyone who has been doing this!
But I do know an a few people over there! Wonder if a letter from a home owner
would work, giving me the ok to check on their home?????
Understand about most of the Intercostal being private property! So as I understand
it then, it is ok to hunt in the water then ... correct???
THanks for the advice and will be asking again I'm sure! ...
And by the way, I did pick up a bunch of the books at the McLarty museum! Like everyone says here, research first! ..
THanks all!
Ted

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ahhh well even if you can get past the roadblocks I will still be your friend... ;D ;D

Good luck and happy hunting,

Chagy.....

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any idea how much it cost for us Beachside Barrier Island folks have to shell out of our finds to the local authorities to keep the mainlanders from crossing the ICW before we search the coast. Just kidding LOL.
Seriously, by the time that law enforcement opens the causeways up (after DOT bridge inspections), even to Beachside residents that evacuated, you have already missed the golden opportunity to take the best advantage of the effects of the storm, one changing of the tide and much is lost that otherwise might be found. Short answer, you have to be beachside during the storm, and you have to have a good idea of where treasure may be. Then you have major safety considerations to think about, so if you have done your homework, and spent endless hours, days and weeks, and for me, years searching for evidence to back up your best guess. You may still come up empty handed, just as I did last year. Oh yea, and are you willing to risk your life to maybe find some treasure. So for any of you that are seriously considering braving a hurricane, please think long and hard before you go all in on this bet. It could very well be you last.

OP
OP
tedpank

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
Point well taken!

But, just like those who foolishly stay behind during a hurricane with no plan or preparedness other then to "ride it out"! Compared
to someone who has a secure and prepared plan!

Ha! Chances are they may still get blown away,

but isn't the excitement of the find or the research part of it in the first place! Whether it getting out their during/right after a storm or just combing the beach!

May not be ready this year, but there has got to be a way to be able to get out there immediately after the surge and during the down swing of any storm!

Like everyone says here, RESEARCH and PLANNING!

Appreciate the advice and hope it keeps coming. This forum is a fantastic source of information!
Ted

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ted,

You definately must be beachside when a hurricane is coming because the window of opportunity is usually only a day or two to find the best goodies after the storm passes. That's not to say that you won't find anything a week or two later, like I and many other TH'ers did after Hurricane Jeanne, but the goodies will be closest to the surface immediately after the storm. The beaches fill back in very quickly.

As for planning, definately get a written "permission slip" from a resident stating that they want you to check on their property... that should give you enough leverage to be over on the beach side, but once again, you need to be there before the storm comes in otherwise you will not get across the causeway until well after the best hunting is over!

As for safety, you obviously should use your judgement in deciding when its safe to get out on the beach. The surge is super strong. I should know... I went out there in the middle of Hurricane Wilma last year and if it hadn't been for some safety precautions I took, I wouldn't be here today!! I stood between a huge wall of water and a 12-15 foot dune with nowhere to go... needless to say, the water won and I got pulled out! If you intend to work under these insane conditions, bring rope to tie off to something solid on high ground, which is what saved me in this particular area I chose to risk working in... and bring a friend! Lastly, bring lots of water and high protein foods and go prepared with enough supplies to stay out on the barrier island for at least 3-4 days.

I "camped out" in a vehicle beachside during Hurricane Wilma... unfortunately, found nothing that trip out.

All the best... happy hunting and be safe! Phips

OP
OP
tedpank

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
How about during a regular nor'easter? That must still churn the beach pretty good and they don;t close the bridges!

Your advice is well taken though for any kind of extreme weather! Thanks Again!

Did you find anyone else out there last year during/after wilma? Or were you the only one out there?

Ted

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after a hurricane there will be roadblocks only if you are not a resident or own property there.if you have a truck,load it up with tools,they let contractors in.but then again there wont be any place to park legally..there wont be any roadblocks on the intercoastal.so go by boat.if a storm is comming close to sebastian,i will either go south or north in my boat to get it out of harms way.an if on the way back there is debris in the channel,i will cut a path with my underwater chainsaw:)then head for whats left of the beaches.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptainZossima said:
I have some close friends near Satellite Beach. They tell me last year during a particular hurricane they were headed towards the beach during a lull in the Storm. Loaded with MDs, black plastic bags covering their bodies, small flashlights etc, they tell me someone about your size was at the back of a Chinese buffet trying to pry the door open. An Excalibur MD was leaning against the frame....
And you say you didn't find treasure last year?

;)
CZ

Damn, I thought that I was in stealth mode. Actually; being the humanitarian that I am, I was just finding shelter for all the stray cats that I found on the dunes during the hurricane.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
tedpank said:
Did you find anyone else out there last year during/after wilma? Or were you the only one out there?

Ted
I was there the morning after Wilma by sun-up. Beautiful cool, crisp morning. Posted story. Lead sheathing and tar covered timbers were on the beach at Vero. A guy found an old chlid's bracelet at surflne. I could not go south because of road block on AIA. :'( I found my avatar after Jeanne.
jasonbo said:
soon we will all have to have metal detectors in our right shoes
I prefer my left shoe, as I scoop with my right. ;) :D

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
I am a newbie here and so far...really enjoy this forum. I would like to offer to anyone if they want to team up and do a buddy thing searching the beaches during or after a storm of any kind...lemme know. I'M GAME FOR WHATEVER....WHENEVER!!! We'll do a 50/50 spilt of finds. I can't get enough of this TH'ing stuff...lol. Can't sleep at night thinking about it. I have been to Wabasso twice and Sebastian once combing the beaches. I would like to search anywhere between south of Sebastian Inlet to Wabasso. Lemme know...anytime...anywhere! Either side (provided we can get permission..;)

BTW...I wold also like to get permission from any home owners down there to MD their properties. I can imagine this would be a long shot...but anything's worth a try. Certainly our love for this hobby can prompt us to ask?....Happy Hunting!!

JvilleHunter
Jacksonville, Florida

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread