A million dollar question

Attila

Jan 3, 2011
I think Canaveral seashore is off limits to metal detecting. Not sure about Smyrna. But I have heard that the silver coins they make for the shuttle launches comes form the silver of a wrecked ship off the Cape. I'm unsure if that is true. But there are some documented wrecks in the area.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
At least one (1715?) Spanish galleon was wrecked off Cape Canaveral (now Cape Kennedy). Many coins found there early on.

Different sources give different information: some say 11, some say 14 (with at least one being found).

For more specific information, need name of ship you are asking about.

OP
OP
B

backlash

Greenie
Feb 3, 2011
backlash said:
any Spanish coins ever found in the Canaveral sea shore or Smyrna beach area thanks you guys you are really helpfull,,,, new here and i find my self spending hours reading its great .......
wasn't asking about any one ship just wondering about the cobs I know theres no MDing but isn't it cool you can camp on that beach and have the whole beach to your self when the rangers leave at 6 i think its about 13 miles hmmmm

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
backlash said:
backlash said:
any Spanish coins ever found in the Canaveral sea shore or Smyrna beach area thanks you guys you are really helpfull,,,, new here and i find my self spending hours reading its great .......
wasn't asking about any one ship just wondering about the cobs I know theres no MDing but isn't it cool you can camp on that beach and have the whole beach to your self when the rangers leave at 6 i think its about 13 miles hmmmm
:D Goodluck! They may have satellite & have a good pic. of you! Goodluck -be safe

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
New Smyrna has had its share of wrecks, but the big problem is the depth of the sand. All wrecks that are worth a darn are under 12 plus feet of sand there. In Canaveral it's not even a valid question because the feds will lock you Up if you try it there. There are at least 6 valid treasure wrecks on Canaveral with 5 of them being Spanish that I know so I'm sure there are more than that. DON'T GO THERE WITH YOUR METAL DETECTOR..... THEY WILL TAKE IT AND THROW YOU IN JAIL!!!!

OP
OP
B

backlash

Greenie
Feb 3, 2011
backlash said:
yea your right wanted to just scan the shore at night but dont want to go to jail thanks

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Just take a bucket only & pick up the green glass & crusty coins so people don't cut their feet on them ....... Sounds like you were doing the right thing?hmm

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hangingfor8 said:
New Smyrna has had its share of wrecks, but the big problem is the depth of the sand. All wrecks that are worth a darn are under 12 plus feet of sand there. In Canaveral it's not even a valid question because the feds will lock you Up if you try it there. There are at least 6 valid treasure wrecks on Canaveral with 5 of them being Spanish that I know so I'm sure there are more than that. DON'T GO THERE WITH YOUR METAL DETECTOR..... THEY WILL TAKE IT AND THROW YOU IN JAIL!!!!

Horse dookey, the signs just state they will confiscate the metal detector and you'll receive a fine. And judging by their lack of enforcement with nudity ordinances, they most likely won't do anything. I was there last week and was appalled at the 60+ nude senior couples at the north end, with not a care in the world with all the nudity prohibited signs around them. IMO they need to clean that crap up, its a true piece of original florida but I can't bring my kid there because of a group of pervs. Its a shame really.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the spanish 1715 fleet vessel lost off the cape area is belived to be the CONCEPCION * one of the 3 vessels that left ECHEVERZ"S Fleet and went northward along the same basic path as the french vessel GRIFFON THAT LEFT THE FLEET 1 1/2 TO 2 DAYS BEFORE THE STORM HIT THE MAIN FLEET ( THE 3 VESSELS WERE IN ECHEVERZ''S FLEET THUS part of the "combined" 1715 fleet ) the day before the hurricane hit the remaining 8 ships , THE 3 VESSELS BROKE AWAY * -- 4 survivors off the CONCEPCION were later found washed up on the beaches of the cape area --having survived by floating on a hatchcover for a couple days before being washed ashore --the ideal of most is that the CONCEPCION sank in the general cape area due to this fact --

of the other 2 vessels ( the tobbaco hauling NAO SAN MIGUEL & and the french prize vessel known as EL CIERVO -- listed cargo is dyewood) there is little known except that in one report (letter from salmon to spanish king Sept 20, 1715) it says that wreckage of a large vessel or vessels was found on "the north shore of st augustine" -

OP
OP
B

backlash

Greenie
Feb 3, 2011
backlash said:
You know this is what im talking about its so very tempting im there all the time im a commercial harvester man i think ill work a day look a day to tempting not to try you know all i want to do is find one spanish cob and id be happy forever just one keep up the post this is great

Attila

Jan 3, 2011
Take a look about 3-1/2 to 4 miles north of Turtle Mound. There should be a wreck off shore there. It's marked on Romans Map. I Don't think it's Spanish but who knows. It's worth a shot with a metal detector on the beach.
Supposedly Turtle Mound was a stopping point for damaged ships or to get fresh water before the final sailing to Spain.

OP
OP
B

backlash

Greenie
Feb 3, 2011
Attila said:
Take a look about 3-1/2 to 4 miles north of Turtle Mound. There should be a wreck off shore there. It's marked on Romans Map. I Don't think it's Spanish but who knows. It's worth a shot with a metal detector on the beach.
Supposedly Turtle Mound was a stopping point for damaged ships or to get fresh water before the final sailing to Spain.
thank you i do that

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold pillar dollars have been found on the new smyrna side of ponce inlet years ago.Silver reales too.Several steam ships have wrecked in the inlet and north of it.You wont find anything north of turtle mound,its all rust scale on the beach all over the place and the sand is very deep there.I know where the wreck is of the spanish ship.Its a 800 ton galleon from 1600-1690.Gold has been found there as well as the deadeye i found after the 2004 hurricanes.You wont find anything on the beach since they dumped 12 to 18 feet of sand on the beaches there.There are several wrecks inside the inlet.One is a rum runner.A friend found a copper cauldron and a emerald ring on one side of one of the islands around there plus a few empty rum bottles.The wreck has been dredged thru several times.I know where they dumped the spoil but last time i checked,its guarded.

OP
OP
B

backlash

Greenie
Feb 3, 2011
FISHEYE said:
Gold pillar dollars have been found on the new smyrna side of ponce inlet years ago.Silver reales too.Several steam ships have wrecked in the inlet and north of it.You wont find anything north of turtle mound,its all rust scale on the beach all over the place and the sand is very deep there.I know where the wreck is of the spanish ship.Its a 800 ton galleon from 1600-1690.Gold has been found there as well as the deadeye i found after the 2004 hurricanes.You wont find anything on the beach since they dumped 12 to 18 feet of sand on the beaches there.There are several wrecks inside the inlet.One is a rum runner.A friend found a copper cauldron and a emerald ring on one side of one of the islands around there plus a few empty rum bottles.The wreck has been dredged thru several times.I know where they dumped the spoil but last time i checked,its guarded.
you re pretty knowledgeable about that area i grew up surfing there and never knew all that theres a book about old NSB images of America newsymrna beach by Lawrence j Sweet have you ever read it ,is it worth buying thank for the info fisheye

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
FISHEYE said:
The wreck has been dredged thru several times.I know where they dumped the spoil but last time i checked, its guarded.

Fisheye, I'm not a Fla resident, but from what I've heard about the new Governor he's trimming a lot of money out of the budget.

If those are state employees guarding that dredge spoil, he may be interested if you contact his office and give him the details on how tax money is being wasted on security guys guarding a bunch of mud and sand.

Plus, anything valuable found could help stimulate Florida's economy... :icon_thumright:

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fisheye is right about the inlet wrecks. The rumrunner was just on the tip of the Daytona side of the inlet. The spoil area is guarded, but I'm not really sure why. I know about the ring and other finds in the area. It's thought that ships often used Ponce inlet for a couple of reasons other than as a passage to the intercoastal waters. The ships used it as a safe place to get out of storms. It wasn't the safest inlet but it was better than being battered to death by a nasty storm. Also they used the shoals inside the inlet on calm strong tides to lay their ships up to do needed bottom repair. It's thought by local historians that just to the north of New Smyrna was a pirates hold. I have never found anything to prove this wrong or right, but I have seen finds of a small hoard that contained Spanish, Dutch, and English coins as well as other artifacts. I don't put much validity in the idea of pirates stashing away things in the dirt, but I've heard Indians did..... just something to think about.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a old map of the ponce inlet with some of the wrecks and location listed on it.

Attachments

• ponceinlet.jpg
    ponceinlet.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 494

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread