ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You know, I see your points about this being a little more stringent and costly than it was when the Fisher's were in control. I don't know for sure, but the state likely has more stringent rules for the Brisbane's because they are new to the industry. Before you decide to not work this year because of a few dollars and some insurance, you might consider how lucky we still have it here on the 1715 fleet. In most countries, you wouldn't get your first meeting with the Minister of culture for $1,000 dollars. Here you get the rights to work 6 known shipwrecks with maps of the scatter patterns, completed research, a world class conservation lab, and a host of support from some very knowledgeable people.

I'm not saying it is perfect, but in the grand scheme of permitting in the world today we don't have much to gripe about on 1715 leases. The Brisbane's are great people trying very hard to give us all a chance to do what we love. I for one think they should be commended, even if the rules have changed a little.

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
First I would like to say that loved the chance to meet a few Tnet guys I already felt I knew - hope to make that cookout.
next second hand is second hand - call Brent Brisben if you are serious.

There are "rules" that Brent mentioned that have been in our contracts for as long as I can remember - I think the most important point was that we, as subcontractors, need to start thinking of this operation as a cohesive whole - as John Brandon mentioned one affects the other. The contracts need to be read and if you don't agree it is your option not to work.

I believe very strongly that these 1715 sites need to be worked - there is more to be found than we can put a number on - and we will not do this individually - it is not just a matter of guidelines or rules - it is a framework of support - and if we can all contribute and all benefit we will prove that the wrecksites are being worked in a manner than none can find fault with.

Mom and I believe in this - I have from the first starting with Harold Holden. No one was more astonished to hear of the Fisher family turning over the lease rights but it was done with great care to find a successor. There has been a fee for leases for several years. This is nothing new. I don't pretend to speak for anyone, but what we can't lose sight of is the goal - hey it's that gold filled hole guys :headbang: nothing comes easy -- even Columbus had his troubles with the Court! and look what he found...

"Gold Hawg" crew of two is proud to be working as subcontractor for 1715 Fleet - Queens Jewels and wishes the best of luck to any or all of you who join - (and yes I will grumble about what the welder charges to for a new cage on the blower - even tho I didn't run in gear while in the water and no divers but me but hey what's some aluminum compared to the gold I know is there - will do my best to be contract ready for the season :tongue3:)

Oh yeah and the excitement IS running high - stay tuned - MORE TO COME ASHORE :thumbsup:
Capt. Bonnie and "Mom" Jo

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey great comment Jason and Bonnie. Sorry I couldn't be there to party with Jason and Tom but I hope to see you all at Aquanut's cookout next month.

-Pete

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than the insurance requirements and background checks it's pretty much the way it was back when I Sub-C'd in the late 90’s.

We paid a contract fee back then also. The background check is a necessary evil.

You should be able to bump up your current insurance for the season and then drop it back down after.
For those without any, maybe someone could talk to an agent and get a group discount if they bring in other salvors.

I know I am still trying to figure out a budget and even if this year is possible. Rising gas prices don’t help, so for those that might have been relying on a free contract I feel for you.

But there are millions of reasons to be excited! :wink:
Hopefully everyone will get some treasure early in the season!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The info is out there on how to make your own fuel for diesel or gas.You can grow or catch your own food too.It didnt cost me anything for fuel to drive the 210 miles for the meeting.Part of the money that was saved bought lunch at hirams.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
The info is out there on how to make your own fuel for diesel or gas.You can grow or catch your own food too.It didnt cost me anything for fuel to drive the 210 miles for the meeting.Part of the money that was saved bought lunch at hirams.

Lunch or drinks!! :wink:

Yeah Fisheye I really wanted to check out your system- maybe this spring!

Shawmen

Sep 7, 2010
Tango Charlie

First of all, a big "thank you" to those that posted their first-hand info from the meeting! It is much appreciated by those of us that were unable to get down there! :icon_thumright:

Secondly, my overviews/concerns below are IMHO and we all know the phrase that goes along with opinions. So be it. I invite all inputs, as this is an open forum.

1) $1000 lease fee...no problem, it's been like that forever.

2) Backround check...no problem there either as we don't need any crooks down here...however I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be directed at 2 CURRENT lease holders as a stop measure, and u 2 know who u are...no need to elaborate further on that.

3) Wizz Quiz...is that for real(e)?? No problems here on that...just once again wonder if it's not dir ected at the crews referred to above.

4) 300K insurance??? Not everyone can secure insurance that can be changed midstream...that one is a head-scratcher...

5) 100 yard square search area X2???????????????????????? WTF is this????? What are u supposed to do with that?? Buoy it off on the corners and dredge the whole damn thing to the bedrock?? Don't think the Ming artifacts will do well in that environment...of course it will be easy for the ship's Scribe to just mark the cords as a big friggin 100 yard X for the recovery area...get the dredge pumps and sluice boxes on standby!?!?!? Can find NO logic in the wisdom behind this facet...after a good storm u can throw the checkerboard theory out the window as what was there is here, and what was here is over there. This stuff DOES still move when the big storms hit!!! Marx and Weller both recount times when a hunch moved the search a good ways away the same day and hit paydirt!! I seriously have to disagree with this search rule...If I'm footing the bill for ALL expenses, why am I RESTRICTED to this search area method??????? Makes it seem like I'm working FOR Brisben, instead of working WITH him... who the heellll pays to work for someone else??? No sharecropping here...would really like to hear some other opinions on this theory...

Well that wraps it for now...what say the masses??

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as insurance goes.I know that some insurance companies require a out of the water or in water
survey done by a certified marine boat surveyor.So this means you now have to pay a marina to haul your boat and then pay a marine surveyor.And most arent cheap.

There is a insurance company in sebastian,its called highway insurance.They have 500,000 liability insurance for boats for $500 a year.It may have gone up since they gave me a price a few years ago.If you already have insurance for a marina where you are at,then you are covered.You will have to change the policy so that when you damage the reef or kill a oyster then queens jewels llc is liable too.

Au_Dreamers,

If you are going to be at aquanuts party i may bring my plastic/rubber to oil processor to demo it.Im in the process of building it now,plus i want to run it a few times before i take it anywhere with a large crowd around.(for safety reasons,it could blow up,catch fire)The one im building now uses fire to heat the plastic just for a test.Not very safe for me since in my back yard i have well over 2000 gallons of veggie oil in tanks.I may just take it to a friends warehouse to test it out on a giant slab of concrete with nothing else around it.Later on with the design i plan on using heater bands to heat the plastic/rubber,but have to find them for the size of heat chamber that i have.And it will be computer temp controlled.This process is kinda like making moon shine but you get 5 products out of it in the end.3 that you can use for fuel and the other 2 you sell for cash or trade for food,etc.But no drinking any of the products.Just free fuel.diesel and gasoline.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record, there was no mention of any urine testing. The fact that it has surfaced as an issue here on this forum, on its own, would indicate there is some sort of problem out there, in the wild. Little rabbits have big ears.

The 300 foot limit means you only get 25% of the area to work that you got last year, and, now it costs you $1000.00 more. The meaning is self evident... the fair haired children have already been identified. Everybody else takes their chances. No reason for the Brisbens to be saddled down with a lot of administrative overhead for the landless and luckless.

Lastly, the lawyers always go for the deep pockets, so insuring Queen's Jewels is only reasonable.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisheye that'd be great to see!

With the money you saved you said you bought lunch... I meant--You mean lunch or drinks Arrgh!!

For the rest of it... it is what it is. As CaptHawk said, if you're serious talk with the Brent Brisben...

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Fisheye,
There will be a larger crowd coming to the cookout this year. So for safety sake, i'll ask that you demo your gadget in the empty field about two blocks up from my house if you don't mind.
Aquanut

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
aquanut said:
Fisheye,
There will be a larger crowd coming to the cookout this year. So for safety sake, i'll ask that you demo your gadget in the empty field about two blocks up from my house if you don't mind.
Aquanut

Aquanut, You told me that you were Adventurous. What happened ? Losing that intestinal fortitude? LOL :icon_pirat:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Aquanut, You told me that you were Adventurous. What happened ? Losing that intestinal fortitude? LOL :icon_pirat:
[/quote]

Old Man,
Hell no, I'm going to be standing right there when Fisheye demos the thing. I just don't want innocent bystanders hurt. It could ruin a good time!
Aquanut

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok,i wont bring it.If anyone wants to see it they can come to my house after the gt.I want to enjoy myself and not have to worry about putting out fires.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread