ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a few pics of wrecks and artifacts before cleaning. My best experience for gaining an eye for spotting shipwreck artifacts was working/volunteering at the mel Fisher Museum in Sebastian Florida. I worked in the conservation lab, so anything the 20+ salvors working the 1715 fleet brought up, all came to me for cleaning. Seeing all the different artifacts exactly as they came off the bottom helped me develop a good eye for spotting things. As you can see, things can blend in quite well. Anyway, here's some pics...

Jason

Attachments

• wreck.jpg
    wreck.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 612
  • wreck3.jpg
    wreck3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 614
  • pottery.jpg
    pottery.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 595
  • ironstone.jpg
    ironstone.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 607
  • anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 602
  • anchor2.jpg
    anchor2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 610
  • cannon.jpg
    cannon.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 603
  • cannon2.jpg
    cannon2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 594
  • cannon3.jpg
    cannon3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 602
  • cannon4.jpg
    cannon4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 580
  • Cannon 08022010 002.jpg
    Cannon 08022010 002.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 583
  • Diving06042010 047.jpg
    Diving06042010 047.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 578

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Cornelius was not wrong when he said "read a book", but he might have given the name of a book or two.

Bob Marx wrote a several very good books to get treasure hunters started. I recommend "The underwater dig" Speaking in general, it is good to read ALL the books and then just dive and look and dig with your hands at everything that looks out of place or different.

What looks different? Only if you dive for many hours you will train your eye to what looks normal. Then, anything that is different will catch your eye.

Octopi? is that the way you say Octopus in plural? eat sea shells. Very seldom you see an Octopus in daylight, but it's home is easily spotted by the newly eaten and still clean sea shells surrounding it. What has this to do with shipwrecks? Octopi like to collect shards of porcelain, porcelain or any other shards are indicators of shipwrecks. I even caught an Octopus that collected clay pipes. He had 3 in his home.

To cut a long story short, familiarize yourself with the environment where you expect the shipwreck to be. Then look for anything that is man made.
Dig under it, just hand fanning.
If you persevere, you will find.

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Thank you very much for all the pics and the really interesting posts. Of course I fully agree with Cornelius that it is a good idea to read a book and I will do so, I just dislike his attitude.
I think that I do have a very good eye for things that are not "natural" in the water as I work as a diver for 20 years. But the more you know, the easier it is to find something.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I have to say this. Some of you guys out there are just a little too touchy when it comes to someone questioning your ego. Cornelius is not someone who minces words. He says it like he sees it. Yes, this website is a great source of info , however, laziness is it's own reward. Cornelius is simply saying that there are great books out there that need to be read by all those entering into this wonderful world of underwater archeology and treasure hunting beneath the sea. Research the books first then ask the questions. You'll find the answers you get will make a hell of a lot more sense. Those pictures that Scubafinder was kind enough to post are great. However the context and applications need to be spread over a larger environment, one which has been investigated and is presented in many books published in recent years. There is a recent topic requesting the names of these books. Look it up. I read these before I started my first season treasure hunting the 1715 fleet and it helped me enormously.
Cornelius offers anyone that is serious a great amount of help and information. A treasure hunter would be a fool to ignore it. Just "MAN UP" and quit being so sensitive! While I was typing this with my one word a minute speed, though this is not directed to you alone, I see you have considered Cornelius' advice. Good for you! Corny's attitude stems from old age. Right Cornelius???
Aquanut

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
You are so right Aquanut . Don't forget though that there are some that like to bash anybody that shows the least sign of weakness ( as they see it ! ) . No greater fun than to have a ,, Feeding frenzy ,, on somebody . Cornelius

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
Aquanut, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that reading a book helps. Read 10 books and you have 10 different views on a subject - now just look how many members this forum has and how many views you could get . I knew that before Cornelius "recommended" it in his charming way. What I did not know is that Cornelius is already that old that his actions have to be excused. If this is the case (and it appears so when you read his last comment) I fully understand - my grandpa started to behave strangely as well when he turned 97.

Joe

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Joe Lee, compared to your granpa, Cornelius is just a kid! He is right about the books. My treasure hunting library has close to 100 volumes. Even the common books like Potters "Treasure Diving Guide" has tons of information about research. Just reading those would answer a lot of questions that the amateurs ask on this forum.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHECK FOR ALZHEIMER'S - PRETTY AMAZING

The following was developed as a mental age assessment by the School of Psychiatry at Harvard University. Take your time and see if you can read each line aloud without a mistake. The average person over 40 years of age cannot do it!

1. This is this cat.
2. This is is cat.
3.. This is how cat.
4. This is to cat.
5.. This is keep cat.
6. This is an cat.
7. This is old cat.
8. This is fart cat.
9. This is busy cat.
10.. This is for cat.
11. This is forty cat.
12. This is seconds cat.

Now go back and read the third word in each line from the top down.

MyLuckyDay

Dec 27, 2010
aquanut said:
I have to say this. Some of you guys out there are just a little too touchy when it comes to someone questioning your ego. Cornelius is not someone who minces words. He says it like he sees it. Yes, this website is a great source of info , however, laziness is it's own reward. Cornelius is simply saying that there are great books out there that need to be read by all those entering into this wonderful world of underwater archeology and treasure hunting beneath the sea. Research the books first then ask the questions. You'll find the answers you get will make a hell of a lot more sense. Those pictures that Scubafinder was kind enough to post are great. However the context and applications need to be spread over a larger environment, one which has been investigated and is presented in many books published in recent years. There is a recent topic requesting the names of these books. Look it up. I read these before I started my first season treasure hunting the 1715 fleet and it helped me enormously.
Cornelius offers anyone that is serious a great amount of help and information. A treasure hunter would be a fool to ignore it. Just "MAN UP" and quit being so sensitive! While I was typing this with my one word a minute speed, though this is not directed to you alone, I see you have considered Cornelius' advice. Good for you! Corny's attitude stems from old age. Right Cornelius???
Aquanut

Research? Reading??

I'm in it for the hot chicks in thong bikinis!!!

This is a very extensive board. I've seen threads tread on this topic before, but maybe not a thread devoted to it. Would be very cool to have a thread where we list books of great information. Maybe make it a sticky thread so new comers, like myself, can run to the local store / library and bgin with the most informative books.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
aquanut said:
Aquanut

John, well said. I just ordered 2 new books over the weekend. One arrived today. You're never too old to learn. On the subect of Cornelius, I have found him to be nothing but helpful and his advice is always free and truthful. I think some people just like to start trouble and I'm not talking about Cornelius or the original poster on this subject. Can we all get along ???

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well first if one spot in a area is a bit shallower that the rest --its a high spot trap * a spot that a vessel that is passing thru or dragging anchor in rough weather might "hang up" on -- if you know the general area but not the exact spot --I would first look at any of these "high spots" in the general area for starters ---now first might I ask * since you sniffed out the "basic" info from a "fisherman" are you now trying to "backdoor" him and find the spot and cut him out of the loop on anything found --if so bad ideal * --because more than likely the old fisherman and his "freinds" know of lots and lots of wrecksites -- often they will offer up a "known" dry well to see how one reacts to the info --to see if you are honest and will share the wealth found with them --or wiether you will try to "backdoor" them --few pass the are you greedy or honest test.---so few folks get straight info from the fishermen folks .---in the salvage bussiness knowledge is power * --and once one fisherman knows how you are --the word spreads amoungst the locals * --be it good or bad.

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Joe,

Fishermen are an excellent source for finding wrecks. If that one didn't know the exact location, you can probably ask around to some others and there's a good chance one of them can put you exactly on top of it.

Just my two cents.
TW

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
ivan salis said:
well first if one spot in a area is a bit shallower that the rest --its a high spot trap * a spot that a vessel that is passing thru or dragging anchor in rough weather might "hang up" on -- if you know the general area but not the exact spot --I would first look at any of these "high spots" in the general area for starters ---now first might I ask * since you sniffed out the "basic" info from a "fisherman" are you now trying to "backdoor" him and find the spot and cut him out of the loop on anything found --if so bad ideal * --because more than likely the old fisherman and his "freinds" know of lots and lots of wrecksites -- often they will offer up a "known" dry well to see how one reacts to the info --to see if you are honest and will share the wealth found with them --or wiether you will try to "backdoor" them --few pass the are you greedy or honest test.---so few folks get straight info from the fishermen folks .---in the salvage bussiness knowledge is power * --and once one fisherman knows how you are --the word spreads amoungst the locals * --be it good or bad.

Ivan Salis - Thank you very much for your helpful post. Whenever I go diving in the area the fisherman is always diving with me. I don't want to "backdoor" him at all. In fact, we became really good friends. Everything we find will be shared. We both know that we have to work in a team to succeed.

Joe

shipluvr

Greenie
Feb 19, 2011
Here's a non-diving related tip that may help nonetheless. Ask around and see if anyone else can verify the old fisherman's story, and if they have any more specific information about where to look. You might look for old newspaper records from around the time of the shipwreck to see if they give any specifics about where the ship went down. Could save yourself a bit of time that way!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep a bit of library time could save you a lot of tiime and money and effort --research is often the way that great wrecks are often found about 80% of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread