Marx reference

LuckyKevin

Jan 27, 2011
FL
Tom: What do you mean by "absence of malice"

Who made the stories up? It seems a lot of old-time treasure salvors don't want to give another treasure hunter their dues when they find something. Different treasure hunters doubted Marx found the Maravillas or even that it existed for a long time. Couldn't the Fisher family sue him if they proved it wasn't accurate? Celebrities sue the tabloids all the time. Just because it was written in a newspaper doesn't mean you can repeat it in a book as fact...

I think you are right, their was fierce competition in the early salvage days and a lot of salvors got a case of "sour grapes" If they didn't find it, they didn't want the rival to receive the glory and fame either.

Kevin

OP
OP
G

GulfDiver

Greenie
Feb 4, 2011
LuckyKevin said:
Tom: What do you mean by "absence of malice"

Who made the stories up? It seems a lot of old-time treasure salvors don't want to give another treasure hunter their dues when they find something. Different treasure hunters doubted Marx found the Maravillas or even that it existed for a long time. Couldn't the Fisher family sue him if they proved it wasn't accurate? Celebrities sue the tabloids all the time. Just because it was written in a newspaper doesn't mean you can repeat it in a book as fact...

I think you are right, their was fierce competition in the early salvage days and a lot of salvors got a case of "sour grapes" If they didn't find it, they didn't want the rival to receive the glory and fame either.

Kevin
That's a good point. I was wondering that myself... if this was slander or the stories were made up, why did the Fishers pay these fines/restitutions, and why didn't they then countersue to get their money back? And if the coins were bought from a shady character, why didnt' they sue his a** off? Seems like somewhat an admission of guilt, but then again if they have those millions from the atocha, maybe it wasn't worth the effort?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread