Whats the one New World shipwreck........

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New World Shipwrecks, 1492-1521

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to find any wreck from the 1500's pirate,spanish etc.The san jose has already been found.Now the gov down there wants to give the finder 5% with a prior agreement of 50/50.See how govs get greedy?I posted New World Shipwrecks, 1492-1521 so people here know what the new world dates are.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oceanscience said:
gord said:
FISHEYE said:
Just any, or do you want all of them?

Have you heard of the oldest shipwreck in the New World, that lies in the Bahamas. Carbon 14 testing on the anchor rope gave a middle date of 1490.

Wonder why a rope that old would not have disintegrated by now?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Carbon-14 dating on textiles has a + or - range of 40 years. So if 1490 is the middle, it could be from 1450 to 1530.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would like to find Jonathan Dickinson's ship, the Reformation. While not a treasure ship, it is one of the most important historical shipwrecks in Florida. I would donate everything recovered to the Martin County Historical Society or some other institution. If you haven't read Jonathan Dickinson's Journal: Or, God's Protecting Providence, Being the Narrative of a Journey from Port Royal in Jamaica to Philadelphia Between August 23, 1696 and April 1, 1697, I highly recommend it.

I have already made some significant recoveries on the beaches of Jupiter Island and have been working closely with an archaeologist to solve this 300 year old mystery.

Tom

Attila

Jan 3, 2011
mad4wrecks said:
I would like to find Jonathan Dickinson's ship, the Reformation. While not a treasure ship, it is one of the most important historical shipwrecks in Florida. I would donate everything recovered to the Martin County Historical Society or some other institution. If you haven't read Jonathan Dickinson's Journal: Or, God's Protecting Providence, Being the Narrative of a Journey from Port Royal in Jamaica to Philadelphia Between August 23, 1696 and April 1, 1697, I highly recommend it.

I have already made some significant recoveries on the beaches of Jupiter Island and have been working closely with an archaeologist to solve this 300 year old mystery.

Tom

Great choice! A true treasure hunter. It's not about the money, it's about the quest, the history.

I think the 1563 Concepcion is an important one. Without his son wrecking on the coast Pedro Menedez would not have demanded that he be sent there and expell the French. St. Augustine would have never been established and the French would have been the controlling force in North America. We may all be running around speaking French instead. :o

Hey mad4wrecks,

Have you read the shipwreck account by Robert Burrows who was also with Dickinson. It wasn't published untill 1839. But it does give coordinates, supposedly the first mate took a reading near the ship wreck before they marched off to the indian camp.

Let me know if you need more info. I will look it up.

Attila

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
I would like to find shipwreck of "Santa Maria de la Antigua", renamed in 1962 by treasure hunter Harry rieseberg for "Golden Hinde", and again renamed by Potter in 1975 for "El Dorado", the flagship of the 1502 lost fleet. Of course, I would like to find it together with giant gold nugget that was on board.... ::)

Regards,
Lobo

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
sphillips said:
Oceanscience said:
gord said:
FISHEYE said:
Just any, or do you want all of them?

Have you heard of the oldest shipwreck in the New World, that lies in the Bahamas. Carbon 14 testing on the anchor rope gave a middle date of 1490.

Wonder why a rope that old would not have disintegrated by now?

The anchor with it's rope were buried of course. The anchor was complete with it's wooden stock.

Another shipwreck I really would like to explore, is the one with the Roman coins on it, found in South America. How did the roman coins, dating from about 300 AD get to be on a shipwreck on the east coast of South America? Could it be a Roman shipwreck?

And the shipwreck is only about 50 feet deep. Could any shipwreck in the western hemisphere be more exciting?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I'm with Fisheye. But more specifically, a Cortez wreck with Mayan and Aztec artifacts on it.
Aquanut

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Aquanut,

That would be nice. As the sole agent for Cortes' heir in matters related to shipwrecks, I would be happy to help you legally recover such a wreck if you do find it.

The wrecks of the "Santiago" and "Espiritu Santo" from the expedition that Cortes sent out in 1527 under the command of Saavedra Ceron were found on the US West Coast several years ago and were systematically looted by the finder and some colleagues. One of these contacted me and asked me to identify the wrecks from a description of the artifacts that were found on them. However, he would not tell me exactly where the wrecks were located, and I can't trace how the artifacts were/are being disposed of. These include bronze cannons with dates of 1522 to 1526 cast into them. I would be interested to hear from anybody who might have come across, or heard of, any such cannons in the past ten years or so.

I have mentioned these wrecks on this forum before, without specifically identifying them, and bemoaned the fact that the looters have deprived us of a very interesting piece of history, as well as selling themselves short by having to dispose of the artifacts on the Black Market instead of being able to sell them openly to museums, which even now I would be able to arrange for them. One of the artifacts found on these ships, which I am not going to describe here, is probably the most important single artifact to ever emerge from the European Conquest of the New World, and it is probably sitting in somebody's private collection, having been bought for a fraction of its true value.

Mariner

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Aquanut,

You have extraordinary perseverance, and I hope that this will be rewarded in good time. Just let me know when you get to the point that I can help.

Mariner

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
1060 platinum sows thrown overboard on arcas de recefe

This is a new one for me, please elaborate. 1060 platinum colored sows or platinum (metal) sows?
If metal sows, where did that come from? I mean, some cultures worshipped bulls, birds, snakes, etc...why a platinum sow? Sorry, your post caused a neuron to fire under my hampster butt, wheel at top speed now.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Mariner,
I know you are about 3,00 miles from here. Got any plans to come to Florida April 30th?
Aquanut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread