Lost city of Atlantis, swamped by tsunami, may be found

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NORTHAMPTON, Mass – A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.

The team of archeologists and geologists in 2009 and 2010 used a combination of deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and underwater technology to survey the site.

Freund's discovery in central Spain of a strange series of "memorial cities," built in Atlantis' image by its refugees after the city's likely destruction by a tsunami, gave researchers added proof and confidence, he said.

Atlantis residents who did not perish in the tsunami fled inland and built new cities there, he added.

The team's findings will be unveiled on Sunday in "Finding Atlantis," a new National Geographic Channel special.

While it is hard to know with certainty that the site in Spain in Atlantis, Freund said the "twist" of finding the memorial cities makes him confident Atlantis was buried in the mud flats on Spain's southern coast.

"We found something that no one else has ever seen before, which gives it a layer of credibility, especially for archeology, that makes a lot more sense," Freund said.

Greek philosopher Plato wrote about Atlantis some 2,600 years ago, describing it as "an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Hercules," as the Straits of Gibraltar were known in antiquity. Using Plato's detailed account of Atlantis as a map, searches have focused on the Mediterranean and Atlantic as the best possible sites for the city.

Tsunamis in the region have been documented for centuries, Freund says. One of the largest was a reported 10-story tidal wave that slammed Lisbon in November, 1755.

Debate about whether Atlantis truly existed has lasted for thousands of years. Plato's "dialogues" from around 360 B.C. are the only known historical sources of information about the iconic city. Plato said the island he called Atlantis "in a single day and night... disappeared into the depths of the sea."

Experts plan further excavations are planned at the site where they believe Atlantis is located and at the mysterious "cities" in central Spain 150 miles away to more closely study geological formations and to date artifacts.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning Fisheye: That is not Atlantis itself, but a colony on the mainland. Atlantis went down. That is also the legendary location of the origin the Aztecs, Azatlan, the place of the reeds, not in the Western US as many present Latino groups proclaim. No, they were not Atlanteans. It is possible that they migrated there from Israel. More work needs to be done.

We here in TN worked on this. There are many posts.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
The problem here is Plato got the story from someone else who got it from the Egyptians. Add to that Gibralter wasn't the only Pillars of Hercules. There were two islands in the Aegean also know by that name and the island of Thera was beyond them. The most likely Atlantean culture was the Minoans centered on Crete which was devastated by the detruction of Thera.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi: Unfortunately, other than being a caldrea of a volcano, Thera does not fit otherwise. but it certainly is pretty. Atlantis still shows it's original shape, three rings of a giant caldera, and is just about where legend places it, at the 'tri-junction' of the North American, Eurasian, and African plates. Prob the most unstable area in the world and easily explains just how Atlantis could have been submerged so easily and quickly.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• Plates 1 ©@.jpg
    Plates 1 ©@.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,301
  • Plates 1 ©@.jpg
    Plates 1 ©@.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 712

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
While I'm willing to keep an open mind there needs to be much more data than they've shown. Even if a city had been where they say that still doesn't make it Atlantis. Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical but hard data is needed before jumping to a conclusion.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Hi: Unfortunately, other than being a caldrea of a volcano, Thera does not fit otherwise. but it certainly is pretty. Atlantis still shows it's original shape, three rings of a giant caldera, and is just about where legend places it, at the 'tri-junction' of the North American, Eurasian, and African plates. Prob the most unstable area in the world and easily explains just how Atlantis could have been submerged so easily and quickly.

Don Jose de La Mancha

I'm with Don on this one.

I've studied Atlantis for decades, and am convinced that Plato was correct. Not Thera, and not on the plain in Spain either.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey friends!
I too have enjoyed Atlantis studies and have had a great source on the matter for years.
Edgar Cayce referred to Atlantis at least 700 times over a 20 year span of visions. He revealed Atlantis was the size equel to that of Europe, including Asia in Europe. He saw visions of this continent in the past that had gone through three major periods of division; the first 2 occurred around 15,600 B.C., when the mainland was divided into islands. The three main islands of Atlantis being Poseida, Og and Aryan. He stated this land was located in the Atlantic ocean (also noting that he predicted the discovery of part of the land would be in 1968 or 1969, when the Bimini raod was discovered).
Cayce attributed the Biblical Great Flood of Noah to be the result of the sinking of the last huge remnants of Atlantis. Before the land disappeared, there was an exodus of many Atlanteans to ancient Egypt. Also noting that the reason for the destruction of Atlantis was greed and lust (something that the major corperations, C.E.O.'s and suits never think of in the quest for profits).
Interestingly, the Giza monuments in Egypt were aligned with the stars as of 10,500 B.C., roughly 5000 years later. Perhaps lost knowledge and technology from Atlantis was difficult to reproduce with limited resources in a foreign land.
I'm kinda with Don too. Seems as if we don't truly know the capacity of Earth to reshape and remake itself. As ocean floors and plates move and collide, areas sink, areas rise. As volcanos erupt, new land is formed.
For now, being that Earth is the only planet we are able to inhabit, I say, "Hang on and enjoy the ride!" Hope my little input has been able to spark some new ideas for research for ya'll. Be good and have fun!

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the National Geographic Channel special show today dl'ed it off piratebay.All they found were rectangle rocks underwater that could have been naturally made and maybe used to build something.No structures were found on land.They did find on land 2 unique doll/figure artifacts from a later period than atlantis.

I bet the spanish are hoping they find atlantis on their ground so they can get the power unit and try and rule the world again.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Fisheye, what happened to your web site?

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it down last year.Im building another one in between all the projects im working on.Right now im trying to figger out how to get a 1500lb vacuum pump off a wheeled cart that its sitting on so i can lag bolt it to the concrete slab next to my oil refinery.I dont think my engine lift will do it.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, now, fisheye, poor Spain needs the money, hmm, as a matter of fact, so do I.

Atlantis under perhaps 12,000 ft of cold water.

For an idea what it might have looked like, see the Caldera at Santorini. It only has one ring, while Atlantis had 2.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• Vertical view of the Atlantis caldera  ©@.jpg
    Vertical view of the Atlantis caldera ©@.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 941
  • Atlantis  2 ©@.jpg
    Atlantis 2 ©@.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 18,429
  • Vertical view of the Atlantis caldera  ©@.jpg
    Vertical view of the Atlantis caldera ©@.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 576
  • p339676-Santorini-Caldera_views.jpg
    p339676-Santorini-Caldera_views.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 790
  • Atlantis  2 ©@.jpg
    Atlantis 2 ©@.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,063

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if there's any better bathyspheric maps or hi-res models of the sea floor in that area?

All I can find is the last pic.

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Keep in mind that the Thera explosion was violent enough to effect Egypt and devestate Crete. Not much is left of it. As an aside, the volcano there is still active and the mount is rising again.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning, as you will notice, the outer ring of the giant caldera of Atlantis is larger in dia than Spain, so we possibly are into the legend's primary requirements--

A) General location

B) on an extremely active sesmic area, which could account for it's rapid disppearance.

C) Size with reference to Spain

D) Formation

E) Apparently the Azores were the extreme southern part of the Atlantis chain, thus making the Atlantis chain larger than Spain and northern Afrca.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions