Atocha/Margarita -Magruder finds...more updated!!

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: This will get you bottom painting faster! Magruder finds...

stevemc said:
I assume this is from Atocha/Margarita area, right? I didnt think the Magruder was still out there. They must have painted it. Maybe that is the white and light grey Fisher boat that I have been seeing for years. It used to be light blue and darker blue.

Could that be the Blue Water Rose?

http://www.melfisher.com/SalvageOperations/AtochaMargOps/BlueWater.asp

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

That is a much smaller boat. The boat I was talking about says Mel Fisher (might not be ) on the front of cabin is about 70- 80+ feet long and has a very bright anchor light. Extremely bright anchor light. It is the biggest treasure salvage boat out there. It usually anchors at night on the South side of the Marquesas, just to the East of the inlet. I have seen it for several years. I have seen the Blue water boat working way to the East, near Key West in years past. There are 2 FKNMS boats, that seem to be working? the Atocha area-they have blowers, and they anchor at night on the West side of the Marquesas, and the little Boston Whalers that they drag, 2 young guys are over on a WW2 wreck spearing snook. I have pulled up on them several times. Kind of a weird thing for the FKNMS to be doing, both treasure hunting and snook poaching.

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stevemc said:
That is a much smaller boat. The boat I was talking about says Mel Fisher (might not be ) on the front of cabin is about 70- 80+ feet long and has a very bright anchor light. Extremely bright anchor light. It is the biggest treasure salvage boat out there. It usually anchors at night on the South side of the Marquesas, just to the East of the inlet. I have seen it for several years. I have seen the Blue water boat working way to the East, near Key West in years past. There are 2 FKNMS boats, that seem to be working? the Atocha area-they have blowers, and they anchor at night on the West side of the Marquesas, and the little Boston Whalers that they drag, 2 young guys are over on a WW2 wreck spearing snook. I have pulled up on them several times. Kind of a weird thing for the FKNMS to be doing, both treasure hunting and snook poaching.

Am I reading that right- two FKNMS boats with blowers working the Atocha?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Yes, there are big FKNMS decals on the sides, and there is a cat hulled boat and a regular monohull. Both have blowers. Both are not huge maybe 35'. I have seen them in 2009 and 2010. Kind of weird? Maybe someone who works at Treasure Salvors Inc can let us know whats going on.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I believe what you saw Steve is just an identifier that the salvage boats must have to work within the FKNMS. If you follow the link posted above for The Blue Water Rose, you will see she has "FKNMS110-98" painted on the side of her enclosed flybridge.

Tom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

Mad for Wrecks straightens out what many of us
aren't quite sophisticated or knowledgeable about
concerning the proper markings of professional salvers
vessels.

I am attaching a photo of our work boat markings taken today...

Thanks Tom, The wind was blowing like spit so we just shook down
the Tank - Came in the inlet and scraped the bottom in front of the
Grouper....

I had no fornicating idea what FKnMS meant either folks...

Attachments

• Cj and bugs 052 (1).jpg
    Cj and bugs 052 (1).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,883

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Thanks Tom, that makes sense. I should have just asked you first! I assume the 2 boats were subcontractors and they need to have the stickers, as the ones with Mel Fisher on the front of the cabin, dont have it. I was wondering why FKNMS would be out there doing that. Directly opposite of what they want done. And the snook poaching too.

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: This will get you bottom painting faster! Magruder finds...more updated..

From MelFisherKW: "More news from the Magruder: They have found 19 silver coins and an in-tact olive jar which is very rare; keep it up!"

silvers coins back in Feb, the gold chain with medallion and cross and now these coins.
Nothing like starting the season off strong!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: This will get you bottom painting faster! Magruder finds...more updated..

Capt Dom, FKNMS means Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Basicly all the Keys and Dry Tortougas fall into this. After being in the Marquesas for 40+ years, that is the first time I have seen a treasure salvage boat with that decal. Maybe I didnt notice, until a couple years ago. Or maybe it is new. I have only seen it on those 2, who stuck together, and went back in to KW together, and back out together. They usually didnt poach snook together though. It was the monohull with a 13'-15' Boston Whaler dingy that usually did the snook spearing.

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From MelFishersKW twitter;

Magruder found a gold bar today! Any investors who can-schedule a dive trip they're on a hot trail summer is going to be EXCITING!

:notworthy: :headbang: :icon_thumright:

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Au_Dreamers said:
Pics of the gold bar!!
http://www.melfisher.com/SalvageOperations/RecentFinds.asp

2lbs - 12 inches long and no tax stamps!!!

Casa de ContrataciĂłn Inspector, Is that a gold bar in your pants?

Smuggler, No I'm just happy to see you!! :icon_pirat: :laughing9:

Unfortunately, there's not even one good pic of the gold bar there. Just a bunch of smiling jokers holding it (can't really blame them for that though)! But it would have been NICE to see some good photos of that gold bar!
TW

culverin

Greenie
Sep 28, 2009
lower Fl. keys
Detector(s) used
excaliber II aqua mag aqua pulse
I was on that trip. the emerald ring looked like it was just lost. there were no scratches or encrustacions anywhere on it. when Capt. Dan dropped me off at home, he let my girlfriend put it on her finger and it was a perfect fit. he had a hard time getting it away from her.

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I just got wood! :o :notworthy: :laughing9:

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a little traveling - in second place on this...

http://www.melfisher.com/SalvageOperations/RecentFinds/062311_EmeraldRing/EmeraldRing.asp

A magnificent $500,000 emerald and gold ring was uncovered today from the most valuable shipwreck ever recovered; the Nuestra Senora de Atocha.

Key West, FL June 23, 2011 – 35 miles West of Key West, Florida on the shipwreck site of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha a large emerald and gold ring along with two silver spoons and two more silver objects were uncovered by Mel Fisher’s Treasures salvage vessel JB Magruder and her crew: Captain Andy Matroci and crewmembers Tim Meade, Bill Burt, Bill Reighard.

The gold ring is 5 and 4/5 cm tall and 4.7 cm wide. The emerald itself is 2.7 cm long and 2.5 cm wide. The gold portion of the ring has an ornate design carved into its exterior. Inside the ring, just beneath the emerald, initials that appear to read VRC can be seen carved into the gold.

This is the largest emerald box ring to be recovered from the Atocha. Based on the size and quality of the emerald and its unique engravings, initial estimates place this one-of-a-kind artifact over $500,000.

Within a few feet of this rare find divers also discovered two silver spoons along with two other silver encrusted objects which will be examined once all of the artifacts arrive in the conservation lab at Mel Fisher’s Treasures.

Captain Andy Matroci explains, “These artifacts were recovered within 300 feet of where the gold rosary and gold bar were found earlier this year. It is exciting because we are moving into virgin territory, an area of the Atocha Trail that has never been worked.“

Sean Fisher, Vice President of Mel Fisher’s Treaures, was on board when the ring was discovered and says, “This is the most significant artifact I have personally seen them bring out of the water.”

The nature of the artifact is very encouraging in the search for the remaining half of the Atocha. These types of ornate artifacts were likely owned by a member of aristocracy and would have been stored in the Sterncastle of the ship.

Gold reacts very little with salt water however the conservation process will be completed meticulously.

Mel Fisher’s Treasures has been working the shipwreck site of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha since 1969 and to date half a billion dollars in historic artifacts, gold, silver and emeralds have been recovered. The historic shipwreck salvage company operates an ongoing search for the other half sunken galleon known as the Sterncastle. This rear portion of the ship is where the wealthiest passengers stayed including members of nobility and clergy. It is estimated that the remaining wealth will total over a half a billion dollars.

WAY TO GO!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread