u-boat?

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
u-boat?

I heard a tale(twice now) of a u-boat that is visible from the air at low tide. This is the second time that I have heard the story, from two different people, who would not know each other. There is no mention of it on the nautical charts of the area. Where would I find a list of u-boats lost on the coast of the U.S.? What is the best way to research such local legends?

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
Re: u-boat?

This one is coastal Maine. It may very well be a u-boat there, but I would think that if it was, that shallow, that it would be charted. I'm gonna start reasearching and see what I can come up with. Any leads would be appriciated. How cool would it be to find a u-boat? Even if it's previously known, it would still be cool to dive on it.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[=bell47 . How cool would it be to find a u-boat? Even if it's previously known, it would still be cool to dive on it.
I have a German WW-2 one in the Sea de Cortes, Mexico, in aporx. 80ft of water. But no-one is interested enough to even ask me any questions, despite having been posted in here various times.

Inicidentally, as far as I can find out, it is still basically unknown and untouched.

Tropical Tramp

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

There were U-Boats that carried GOLD to pay the German spies.
Some U boats had tons of Mercury in them.
Be carefull most were Booby Trapped with a device that if the sub were tilted it would go off and most were wired to a torpedo or two. The inside will not rust (there is no air) so the traps are still in good shape.
Peg Leg

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

=Peg Leg ]
There were U-Boats that carried GOLD to pay the German spies.
Some U boats had tons of Mercury in them.
Peg Leg

HIO, Precisely, this is supposedly why this one was here.

Tropical Tramp

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tropical Tramp...are you certain that it is a U-boat? If so, I know of a party that might be interested in a recovery attempt.

Bobinsd

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[=bobinsd
Tropical Tramp...are you certain that it is a U-boat? If so, I know of a party that might be interested in a recovery attempt.
Bobinsd

Hello BOB: I will post the basic data from my files in a day or so when I return home to Alamos , Mexico.

Tropical Tramp

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Anyone saw the show where they pulled one up, and a glod coin was discovered in side? But, I'm sure they spent millions to do so.

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006

A german sub was salvaged in danish/swedish waters some years back, it contained a cargo of several ton of morphine among other interesting stuff.

A WW2 sub is build of material of high value even today - just take a look at the batteries for such a boat. Not to mention the Nazi stuff.

/V

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

dunn1866,

You are referring to the CSS Hunley. The Gold coin belong to Lt. George Dixon. It was a keep sake that actually saved his life by taking a hit from mini ball at the battle of Shilo.

Here's a quote ffom the Hunley.org website:
THE LEGEND: For over a century, an oral tradition-a legend-was passed down involving Lt. George Dixon, who commanded the Hunley on its final assignment, which turned out to be one of the most important missions in naval history. According to the legend, Dixon was in love with a beautiful young woman from Mobile, Alabama, named Queenie Bennett.

To keep her sweetheart safe from harm, Queenie gave George Dixon a gold coin, as a good luck charm. Again, according to the legend, George kept the coin with him always, in his pocket, rubbing it with his thumb while he dreamed of the day when he and Queenie would be reunited.

During the Battle of Shiloh, George was shot point blank. A bullet ripped into the pocket of his trousers and struck the center of the gold coin. The impact was said to have left the gold piece bent, with the bullet embedded in it. Queenie's good luck gift had saved his life.

Its very interesting reading. Check it out some time.

Robert in SC

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good enough, TT,

Probably best to use a PM unless you intend to advertise.

Have you ever searched for the "Content", Cavendish's second ship, lost somewhere possibly in the northern end of the Sea of Cortez?

Bob

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

Not sure if this helps, but there's also a u-boat here in RI (about 12 miles offshore)... it was bombed by depth charge 2 days after the ceasefire in WWII... they apparently didn't get the message and fired on a coastal trawler. She sits in about 130 feet of water, almost completely upright. The top of the conning tower is at 90 feet. It is a great dive, even though i never penetrated the wreck.

good luck on finding the one in maine. I'll ask some of my dive buddies... they tend to gather those tidbits of information

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter

I'm beginning to have some doubts. First of all, there was LOTS of urchin and scallop diving here in the 1990's. If it was so shallow then I think it would have been found. There could be a u-boat here but if there is one, I think it will be deeper than most scuba divers go. On with the search.

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005

Hey Tropical Tramp,

I want to hear about this undived and even unknown German WWII sub.

Tell me everything.....

I will start a post about a mystery submarine that was sunk off the Golden Gate Bridge in WWII. I have links and the articles that I will post here.

See ya,
Gold-Needle

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

spez,
Don't have my notes right now. Is that u-boat the one that has a legendary treasure on board? I have a bad case of CRS and just have a vague memory of this sub having the wealth of several Nazi families aboard.

grizzly bare

Z

ZumbroKid

Carteret county N.C. has U-352 off Raleigh Bay, and U-576 off Wimington in 84 feet of water. There is the one with $1 million in mercury for balast as well as $750,000 in currency, but i can not remember which of my posts it was in right now. Later

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

grizzly... i don't think its the same one. I looked up the ships number u853. heres a link on it. http://www.ecophotoexplorers.com/u853.asp the one here has be dived extensively. The story on it was that it fired on a Fishing trawler off the coast of RI 2 days AFTER WWII ended. Apparently they didn't recieve notice of the war's end (or disregarded it). the trawler radioed the subs position and a bomber flew out of Quonset Point and dropped depth charges on the sub. one hit directly on the area between the bow and the conning tower... opened her up like a tin can. She sank in about 130 feet of water. The top of the tower is @ 90 feet.

Its a great dive, and with the right gear you can penetrate the wreck. Rumor is, that over the years a bunch of divers have collected and stacked the skulls of the crew in the engine room. But i've never been that far inside, so im not sure if its true, although a buddy of mine says it is...
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread