Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apr 2008

Are there any known shipwrecks of value off the coast of Louisiana

Hi all,
    Just curious if anyone knows of any shipwrecks containing any gold or other valuables off the Louisiana coast and in relatively shallow water? I have a friend who lives down there and has asked me this recently? He has an interest in possibly searching and salvaging one if at all possible? He knows this takes a lot of money but he has enough to give it a go after he does his research and gets his ducks in order so to speak. I told him I would assist in any way I could. Any information would be appreciated and hope you all have a great day.. Happy Hunting..

nl
    Sep 2010
    14 times

Re: Are there any known shipwrecks of value off the coast of Louisiana

Are you kidding us ? Cornelius

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2004
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
    70 times
    Shipwrecks

Hello kasparov,

Ignore the above post.

I grew up in south Louisiana. There are many stories of lost treasure off the coast - especially regarding Jean Lafitte. But there's more. Check out what's already been found...

http://shipwrecks.ws/ss_NewYork_Shipwreck.htm

There's more out there. Especially pay attention and research inland steamboat wrecks along the Mississippi River. With the advancement of sub-bottom profiling, finding wrecks is becoming easier than before.

All the best to you,
    Darren

LM
    do
    I like finding stuff

Dec 2007
    Chicago
    Charts and Maps.
    111 times
    Shipwrecks

I don't know for certain, but you can pretty safely assume that any area that was historically a major port is going to have shipwrecks- the more significant the port, the more shipwrecks, the older the port, the older the shipwrecks.

I would imagine that Coastal Louisiana would have some fascinating wrecks given the historic importance of New Orleans as a port. Treasure Ships were all around the gulf during the day.
    "There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure..." - Twain

nl
    Sep 2010
    14 times

Darren . Why don.t you show Kasparof where the wrecks , are loaded with gold and other treasure . That is what he asked for . Cornelius

Apr 2008

Thanks Darren and Morgan. And I did ignore Cornelius as he must have a cob up his arss. And no Cornuelius I did not ask to be shown where anything was I asked whether if there were any known wrecks. I wouldnt expect anybody to tell me where any shipwreck with gold on it would be if they knew for certain. Just asking to be pointed in the right direction. So guys thanks for your help and have a great day..

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    745 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

yep theres lots of valuible wrecks off lousiana --now to find out exactly where their at -- now thats gonna cost ya

good research info is worth it weight in gold-- however in the treasure hunting world some folks think you should just give your "hard earned research knowledge away for free" --thats what gets folks like corny ticked off -- the fact that folks do not want to "pay for your researching knowledge"--- folks pay doctors and lawyers for their "knowledge" all the time but they do not want to pay for shipwreck research for some reason) , know this -- knowledge is power -- good research cuts way down on "blind searching" for treasure -- thus you spend much less time and money on hunting "empty waters" and more time in what is likely to be highly productive treasure filled areas

Apr 2008

i agree that knowledge is power and i would never expect someone to just give up their hard earned information. anything worth having has to be earned. maybe cornelius thought i was just expecting everyone to tell me all that they know and i definitely didnt expect or want that so its all good. thanks guys and have a great day..

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    745 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I of course understand you were just "general info quizzing" as in --do you guys think its worth while to look in louisana waters or not ? -- my answer is --most likely it is * since in the old days of the treasure fleets --spanish sailors used "dead reckoning" sailing running along the coast lines just within visual range of the shore --hugging the coastline all the way from south america up to mexico and from there running the gulf coast area toward the floridas keys and then crossing over to cubaand repairing and restoring in cuba before heading up floridas east coast and turning homeward for spain --they while using "dead reckoning " used known landmarks and river outlets to navigate by *---often times rapidly striking strong storms and hurricanes often trapped these ships while they were close by shore--- shoving them into the shallow coastal waters and bottom bouncing their hulls until their hulls burst apart or running them unto reefs which slit their hulls wide open.

nl
    Sep 2010
    14 times

Quote Originally Posted by kasparov747
    Hi all,
    Just curious if anyone knows of any shipwrecks containing any gold or other valuables off the Louisiana coast and in relatively shallow water? I have a friend who lives down there and has asked me this recently? He has an interest in possibly searching and salvaging one if at all possible? He knows this takes a lot of money but he has enough to give it a go after he does his research and gets his ducks in order so to speak. I told him I would assist in any way I could. Any information would be appreciated and hope you all have a great day.. Happy Hunting..
    Maybe I don't know how to read but I got it that the question was where there were any shipwrecks containing gold or other valuables in relatively shallow water . In my book that is asking for a location . So my answer was .. are you kidding us for asking that question ,, . If any of you guys knew a location would you give that away ? Cornelius

Apr 2008

cornelius i wasnt asking that. maybe it came across that way to you but no. im definitely not stupid enough to ask anyone if they know exactly whree one is just wanted to know if there were any known wrecks that may have been documented or such so hope no hard feelings dude. i do a lot of inland metal detecting and wouldnt give any of my great locations away and wouldnt expect anyone else to do the same. have a great day..

Charter Member

Jan 2008
    2 times

Kasparov,

welcome to the forum
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.-Mark Twain

Apr 2008
    12 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Working off the coast of Louisiana would be very challenging... The water is very muddy (all the time) and there are 1000's of oil rigs. I have seen maps of the pipelines from the rigs and they run in all direction for miles. There is so much modern debris on the bottom that finding a wreck would be difficult but if you had a location from maybe a shrimp boat that caught artifacts in their net then it might be fiesable.

I've heard of a couple ships that were found with coins way up in the bayous that got thrown there by a hurricane so maybe that would be the best place to look.

us
    Mar 2009
    91 times

Two Spanish ships with gold and silver, primarily silver, went down after a hurricane. They were separated, and one supposedly is off of Galveston, the other off the coast of Louisiana. I believe the year was 1766. Both locations are known, and Louisiana State University did a survey of the Louisiana wreck, Texas A & M knows the location of the one off Galveston and of course, is not disclosing its location. I think the Louisiana one is South of Cameron or Creole, LA. Have to look at a map.

us
    Your Answer is YES, I am a Recovering Brain Donor

Jul 2010
    South East Coast
    86 times
    To Find that step, Everyone tells you to look out for

Quote Originally Posted by kasparov747
    Hi all,
    Just curious if anyone knows of any shipwrecks
    Sure would be fun to explore these anyways, alot in mud probably like Tom says ... But some cool reading

Deep water:

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2...unearthed.html

http://www.numa.net/expeditions/miss...xpedition.html

http://www.gomr.boemre.gov/homepg/re...h_century.html

http://www.allbusiness.com/north-ame...1138395-1.html
    Daryl

Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors