A strange coin found by Haitian fisherman on a beach - what is it?

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig.. and your last statement accurately defines the normal Haitian attitude, which is that what one wants to believe or feel is more important than what is true. Regarding ECUADOR....after a subsequent ten years in that amoeba circus, my subjective and objective observations are that ( (along with that of most of the respectable official sources within the international community) you are right about the level of deceit and corruption within that culture too except the Ecuadorians, many of them also overtly honest, educated and hard working, have refined it into a fine polished art often cloaked behind important looking legal papers and pseudo-intellectual facades although the finer the company the fouler the play.

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wrote:"Speaking about the coin, Haitian fisherman who found it really did not have a clue what it was, the coin was black and who cleaned it was my friend who finally bought it, and definitely not a Haitian scummer, lier and thief, preparing a false artifact to cheat a white man."

Who is this masked man..this mystery friend?? Perhaps one of the later above mentioned kind but from another country ?? Black Mexican silver is not silver which has been exposed to the elements too long..if it had been lost on or in the ground for several hundred years it would have had a rich dark green patina incorporating granules of beach sand in it and the person cleaning it would have served well to have left at least 1/4 of that intact to show the longevity the artifact was exposed to the environment or at least have taken before and after fotos of the cleaning. Otherwise we have just another fascinating story of Haitian provenience. Reminds me of the fabled jeweled cannon of Cap Tiburon.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Bobadilla:

Thank you for your post.

Gross generalizations about any group of people say far more about the writer than they do about the folks being dogged.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hola Compadre,

Joel Ruth aka Patrimony has been the conservator on many shipwreck projects, an expert in the matter. He has seen his share of coins...

Joel,

Lubos is a very good friend and an honest man. He would not come to this forum with this story if it wasn’t true. Lubos is not trying to sell the coin to anyone here. He just wants to learn more about it. That’s all…….

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hola Compadre!

Thank you very much Luis, my dear friend, for what you wrote here. It is exactly how it was and you expressed it perfectly in couple of words.

The coind seemed very interesting to me and I just asked TH Forum members for their opinion. That´s all about it by my opinion - to learn from each other and help each other on this Forum. Each person here can have different knowledge and sources of information and it proved to be right to me many times in these almost 6 years I have been member here. The coin is not mine and as you correctly said, I never tried or intented to sell it anybody here on the Forum not by myself, not on behalf of anybody else. My friend, who finally convinced a Haitian fisherman to sell this coin to him is not any "mystery man behind a mask" (how ridiculous....!), he is an ordinary amateur collectionist of coins and other antiquities, amateur diver, and at one point he just decided to sell this coin on eBay. He put it there even without my knowledge and why not? He is the owner and he can do with this coin whatever he wants. I told him the results of the research about this coin on this post, of course, and what he decided to put on eBay as an information is his problem, not mine. He is also foreigner by origin, English is not his mother language, so it can explain his errors in English as well. I also help him with some translations he needs from time to time.

Openly said, Luis and all the others, I posted this topic with the purpose just to inform all of you about (by my opinion) interesting find, share the photos with you, and start some discussion about possible origen of this coin. I really do not need to be indirectly accussed that I was trying to present here some newly manufactured artifact with the only purpose to cheat you all and heat up the discussion which should result in selling this coin to the highest bidder.

I have never questioned the experience of Mr. Joel Ruth, I heard and read about him a lot, I saw part his collections and I saw his work as well. It is part of my job to know and learn from the others. I really have not cleaned 100,000 cobs in my life but in spite of that, unlike him, I do respect the others and I do not judge anybody without knowing the facts. To make the long story short my dear Compadre - I will think twice to post here something similar again.

Regards,
Lobo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Bobadilla:

The interest generated by your initial post demonstrates, as you point out, the best that the TNF has to offer.

I will repeat myself and suggest, again, that negative posts ultimately disclose a great deal about the poster rather than the postees.

We all know, from hard-won experience, that expertise in one area - narrow or broad - often does not mean anyone is an expert in other facets of life. Particularly when the attempted transition is from technical venues to people out in the real world.

Please don't give up on TNF - keep posting!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
just catching up on this - neat story...

the "T" s could be crosses - "TAU" the cross of St. Anthony (look at the Triple Tau in the Masonic symbols )

Agree the three Ts or crosses match the Third Turtle Club emblem but which came first?? ... the Club could have based their emblem on an older emblem i.e. taken the design from somewhere else. We were in Bahamas in that time, my parents in the Club business, and it was common to try to reference local lore, pirate tales, legends, etc in the tourist biz.
the emblem could predate the Club and so then could the coin and turtle.

think you are right in trying to find out more about the Club .. try Google Books - did a quick search and quite a few 60s/70s tourism related articles in their collections referring to the Club. if a promo item surely there wasn't just one? someone designed that logo for the Club but did they copy it.

a good mystery and hope you solve it. i'm not much help but sure know the feeling in wanting to know more :icon_scratch:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Simon Padgett was the marketing guy for the latest Third Turtle resort venture. I've been emailing him regarding the coin and the logo for the resort. The project has recently been abandoned, but he did find the coin fascinating. He said the logo was borrowed from the now defunct resort from the 1960s. But he did give me the name of a guy who's been around since those days and was very involved with those owners. His name is Bengt Soderqvist. He can be found at the National Colony Real Estate website at:

www.nationalcolonyrealty.com/turks-caicos-real-estate-agents.php

I'm going to be tied up for awhile on a project, so if anyone wants to follow-up with Mr. Soderqvist, feel free to continue in solving the mystery of the coin.

All the best,
Darren

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
First thing to pop into my head, while triple tasking thoughts; "Hobo Nickel", +Wax Stamp tool.
Another thing. It couldn't have been in the ocean too long, so little corrosion.
"Thirsty Turtle".
Word and thought play are in effect for it to be a pirate item. "Serve the Lord with trembling"/"Shiver me timbers".
Since 3's are associated with jewels, what would "T"'s haft to do with jewels? Crosses,"Golgotha", perhaps?
Or maybe It was a medalion of comport. Knowing the pirate would be crucified, he carried the ensignia of Golgotha in his pocket.
Tortoise eat prickley pear cactus fruit, a known longevity fruit such as blueberry and pomegranite. So, "Long time no see the enevitable if caught", Gulp, Crucifixen. "Crew so fiction".
Confressi the puerto ricon pirate or, "confession".
Back to golgotha where christ was crucified; The Lord killed Onam because he spilled his seamen on the ground",(after he killed Er because Er would not impregnate his own wife). "Name"/Magic.
Since it is a Sin not to want children, "Sin"/Magic, It lnks to "Moral"/Magic which is Infacide, Fetuscide, and Piracy are death penalty offencives, Death by decapitation.
So there is something about sin connected to what I think is a medallion and tool carved by a wealthy hermit,(pirate), in seclusion.
:o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread