"The Dare" starting survey work on Fishers new wreck!!

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: "The Dare" starting survey work on Fisher's new wreck!!

The Dare was struck by lightning last week. The electronics were ruined, and since been replaced. Have you heard if they figured out what it is yet? The Lost Merchant?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOST MERCHANT SEARCH BEGINS
Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM

"If treasure hunting was easy, everybody would be doing it."

Mel Fisher - 1975

Throughout the years, many of our expeditions have not gone as planned, The Lost Merchant is no exception. In recent months we have had to overcome many adversities, the biggest hurdles being weather and equipment.

Last Friday, after much anticipation, the Dare headed north to begin its survey for The Lost Merchant. Everything was working perfectly and spirits were high. After a day of steaming full ahead, the Dare was struck by lightning. Thankfully, no one was injured. However, the lightning strike damaged much of the electronics system and destroyed several of its components.

Captain Papo and his very capable crew still managed to get to their destination on time but were forced to change the plan and begin assessing the damage and start the repair.

Today we are happy to report that all of the electronics on the Dare have been repaired or replaced and all required systems are again working at 100%. The Dare left the dock at noon yesterday and, based on current weather forecasts, it looks like they should be able to work through Friday evening.

Key personnel on the Dare Include:

"Papo" Garcia, Captain of the Dare, with his crew of 4 divers

Gary Randolph, Operations Director, Mel Fisher Expeditions

Sean Redding, Engineer and Shore-side Captain, Mel Fisher Expeditions

Jim Sinclair, Marine Archeologist, Mel Fisher Expeditions

A 3-man Technical dive team and film crew, led by Gary Hepburn, producer of the "Go Deep!" film that documented the finding of the Margarita pearls in 2007.

These filmmakers are certified technical divers, capable of diving to 500 feet, breathing mixed gases. Once the Lost Merchant is located with our side scan sonar, they will dive the wreck to photograph/video the ballast pile and recover a few artifacts to present to a Federal Magistrate for our Admiralty claim, the first step toward ownership.

Today's the Day!

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"the biggest hurdles being weather and equipment"

They're ahead of the game...

Most of us suffer the curse of the 3 "M's"; Mother Nature, Mechanicals and Money :'(

They can probably get their searching subsidized by Nat Geo.

Other than this info I have no idea but maybe if we get Jim drunk enough at the cookout he'll spill the beans!! :o

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

These folks are experienced at what they do!

There is a great old saying in the "treasure business"!

QUESTION:

"How do you make a million dollars in the treasure business?"

ANSWER:

Start out with $10,000,000.00!

These folks already raised a substantial war chest some time ago.
They are smart enough not to be "looking" for a military "bullcrap" war grave....

My hat is off to them.... Good Hunting!

Capt Dom

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

Its funny how Nat Geo put so much money into the search of the Atocha, but over the last 15 years they have tended to portray Mel (and the treasure hunting community) as "villians". I am sure this stems from the Archies complaining to NatGeo about their coverage of such recoveries.

I was watching a show the other day that was talking about Bob Ballard and then had a segment on the Atocha that went on to call Mel the "King of Dreamers and Schemers" and a few other derogatory comments.

Robert

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

can anyone tell me where, what part of Fla they are working?

jeff08xx

Apr 23, 2011
Dallas TX, Philippines, Fairbanks Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Whites 2-box deep cache
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wanna be like Mel....I want to put together my own crew...any takers on this...?

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

does anyone know the location of this wreck

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RGecy said:

Yeah very "sad"

When you're at the top they always take shots at ya!

At one point in time the only thing Nat Geo had more film of than Mel Fisher was NASA/Space.
It probably still holds true...

Oddly I remember a show a long time ago with the "father” of marine/underwater archaeology Dr. Bass in the Med with a crew of students. All of them busted out in cheers and excitement when they pulled up some gold off the wreck. Hmm I wonder if they have since edited that part out!

Don’t tell anyone, this is just for Tnet...having a direct connection to Fishers I can tell you …

The wreck is located precisely in the water off the coast at an exact depth below sea level under some sand near some shells and fish. :laughing9:

Waiting for more press releases and will post em here when I get them!

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff08xx said:
I wanna be like Mel....I want to put together my own crew...any takers on this...?

Them of the brethren will be gathering in Port Orlando at The Ol’Aquanut food and drink next Saturday. There be the place to shanghai a crew! Err umm enlist!!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They havent found "The Lost Merchant" yet.So that means they dont even have a admiralty on it.I would imagine they are looking in the keys somewhere being their survey boat is based there.

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB

Au_Dreamers said:
RGecy said:

The wreck is located precisely in the water off the coast at an exact depth below sea level under some sand near some shells and fish. :laughing9:

Waiting for more press releases and will post em here when I get them!
I was led to believe the wreck was located out on the horizon. ;D

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

When asking location i was referring to upper, lower , middle keys. If their boat is based in the keys I would like to know where. It is somewhat important because a shipwreck location mag data, water depth was handed to them 5 years back with a signed 5 yr non disclosure agreement. well time is up and i was wondering if this wreck came a little too easy.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From what i hear the wreck is in international waters.So that would rule out any NOAA controlled areas around the keys.

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess when it becomes the "Found Merchant" we will know more.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If anyone really wants to find out where they are searching you could follow them.Im sure you will need alot of fuel as they could be 100 miles from the keys.Or search by airplane or satellite.The early bird gets the worm.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heres a little hint on where the Dare is looking.Not the keys either.Maybe you can tell by the pic.The cape.

Attachments

• dare.jpg
    dare.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 528

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FISHEYE said:
Heres a little hint on where the Dare is looking.Not the keys either.Maybe you can tell by the pic.The cape.

Cape Marina Fuel Dock, no doubt. Wasn't there a deep canaveral treasure site with some artifacts recovered by a ROV years ago, and is this related?

I doubt this wreck is outside the EEZ. It may be deep federal waters but it would have to be 80-200 miles off Canaveral to be in international waters. Its too deep for mixed gas after about 40 miles. I suspect they are looking at some area in 300-350 ft of water just outside the cones.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

They just have to be out of State waters to work it. I am not sure if NASA has any reign after 3 miles. I know when a space shot happens, they have a huge area. It could be in State waters and have to get permits, but that would be real hard to get. Yes, being out of the EEZ would be ideal, but hard to work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread