Dominican republic treasure in the news.

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi Architecad,

You can search with metal detectors private land, if you get the permission from the owner. Also you can search in the surf on the beaches, because according to the Dominican law, nobody can own the area 60 meters from the beach around the whole island, it belongs to the state and it cannot be sold to anybody. It is written law, though the reality is sometimes different, especially in case of some rich hotel resorts....

Best regards,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Bobadilla said:
Hello Old Man,

I think I can answer your question. After detailed research conducted both Deep Blue Marine and Agency of Underwater Cultural Patrimony of the Dominican Republic, the name of the shipwreck is already known. I am not directly involved, so I am not allowed to reveal the name and origin of the shipwreck, you for sure understand it, this right fully belongs to the finders and to the Dominican authorities. What I can only say you is, that this shipwreck is really from the first half of the 16th century. The value of this find is still questionable by my opinion, because you never know how much contraband was on board and in which this contraband consisted of. I think that Alexandre, though for sure an expert, is a little far away from here and therefore from the first hand information.

Best regards,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

But is it a merchant ship or a treasure ship? That's the only question I want to know. :-)Do they have tens and tens of thousands of coins under the coral, or do they have a few thousand at best and some contraband? What do you think?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Bobadilla said:
Hello Old Man,

I think I can answer your question. After detailed research conducted both Deep Blue Marine and Agency of Underwater Cultural Patrimony of the Dominican Republic, the name of the shipwreck is already known. I am not directly involved, so I am not allowed to reveal the name and origin of the shipwreck, you for sure understand it, this right fully belongs to the finders and to the Dominican authorities. What I can only say you is, that this shipwreck is really from the first half of the 16th century. The value of this find is still questionable by my opinion, because you never know how much contraband was on board and in which this contraband consisted of. I think that Alexandre, though for sure an expert, is a little far away from here and therefore from the first hand information.

Best regards,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

Lobo, A couple of quick questions. What was found to ID the shipwreck ? A ships bell ? Although I know it's not a given, but I was under the impression that a lot of the Spanish Treasure Galleons in the 1500's carried bronze cannons. Were any bronze cannons found on this wreck ?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
jrf30 said:
But is it a merchant ship or a treasure ship? That's the only question I want to know. :-)Do they have tens and tens of thousands of coins under the coral, or do they have a few thousand at best and some contraband? What do you think?

jrf30, Is the wreck you're talking about the one that sank in the mid 1500's ? The one in " The Treasure Diver's Guide", by John Potter ?
Where Potter states, " Her hull settled onto a shallow sea bed, permitting extensive salvage work which recovered a large part of the cargo, including silver and gold from Mexico. There might be a little left still on the San Miguel's ballast heap, but not much. " end of quote.
Just curious.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Bobadilla said:
Old Man,

You might have solved the mystery, my dear Watson...... :icon_thumleft:

Lobo

Lobo, I hope what Potter wrote helps. Personally, I couldn't understand why after spending 6 or more months excavating that they only found what they did, treasure wise. ( Not that I don't think the find is very Historic and they deserve credit for what they did find. )
I just couldn't understand how you could say that you found a wreck worth up to 2 Billion dollars in value in treasure and only found 6 or 7 hundred coins. Especially after they found the ballast pile and Historic Artifacts from Mexico. Anyway, I really do wish them luck. :icon_pirat:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Bobadilla said:
Old Man,

You might have solved the mystery, my dear Watson...... :icon_thumleft:

Lobo

Lobo, quick question for you since you are an Expert on the Treasure Shipwrecks in the Dominican Republic. I've read some of your books and have seen where at least one permit holder in the DR has quoted you and what you wrote in one book. ( and I don't mean the guy you work for. ) According to one treasure hunting Captain in the DR who spoke about the San Miguel. He said the ship came from Peru and had Inca artifacts on it. I quote, "The San Miguel was carrying Inca Artifacts from Peru. We have not one Inca artifact. "

According to Potter in the Treasure Diver's Guide on page 135, and I quote, " Her hull settled onto a shallow sea bed, permitting extensive salvage work which recovered a large part of the cargo, including silver and gold from MEXICO. there might be a little left still on the San Miguel's ballast heap, but not much. "

Since I consider you the On site Expert on shipwrecks in the DR. Did the San Miguel come from Peru as the boat Captain states, or did it come from MEXICO has per Potter's Book ? I'm just curious. I really do think that company did a great job of finding that wreck after they bought the piece of eight from the Fisherman who found the wreck and showed them where it was located. Historically, I think they are doing a great job of working the wreck site and I wish them all the luck in the world. I was just curious as to where the San Miguel came from on its voyage to Spain ??

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi Old Man,

According to my knowledge, "San Miguel" was coming from Mexico and there were Mayan artifacts on board, not Incas, though you can never be sure that some part of stolen jewelry from Peru was not put on board of this ship as well. There were huge markets on the coast of Mexico waiting for galleons to come and buy everything possible from local merchants. The strange ways of many artifacts can be tracked very hard.... Also "San Miguel" was "almost completely" salvaged. It means that some part of the cargo was left behind, but very small amount of OFFICIAL cargo. Everybody here knows how much contraband was on board of every Spanish galleon, so it is very difficult determinate the value of the shipwreck and what can be still found there, but taking into account the historical information about salvage of the cargo, it could never be valued at one or two billion of dollars. Of course, Spanish were also known to lie about the salvaging of their ships and even falsificate the documents about it. The reason was simple - in case that treasure ship was lost close to the shore and in reasonable depth, Spanish authorities were afraid of French and English pirates and corsairs to sail there and salvage the ship before they could do it. The northern coast of Hispaniola was infested with these pirate ships in the 16th century. Regarding the depth of the shipwreck, it is truth that it lies in about 12 feet and that "San Miguel" sank in almost double of depth, but it means nothing in this specific case. The shore in this part of the island changed several times during the last 450 years. The last time was in 1942, when huge earthquake followed with devastating tsunami erased three villages and changed the coastal line there for ever. Over 2000 persons died that day. Some small islands disappeared, bays as well, lot of sand was put on sea bed, and sedimentation is very strong there till today as well. So it is perfectly possible that during the centuries sand on sea bed drastically changed the depth in that area.
I hope I helped you a little...

Best regards,
Lobo

Joeyboots

Jan 22, 2012
New York, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Pulse 8X/Garrett Gold Stinger/Tesoro Sand Shark/Tiger Shark/Falcon MD 20, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dominican republic treasure in the news. II

Hello All,

I am very interested in all the Dominican Republic activity. I have finally settled in in Juan Dolio and have begun to explore the coastline. I met Cpt Billy years ago and was aware he was working in Samana. I was wondering do you think the south shore also has its share if wrecks still undiscovered out there. I am not a professional treasure hunter owning a boat and a towfish magnetometer or side scan sonar. I am just hoping to get lucky. After all the reef is the same as the north shore seems just as dangerous to run aground or strike some sub surface coral. And Santo Domingo is on the south shore. What do you think the south shore has to offer.

Joe

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Re: Dominican republic treasure in the news. II

Joeyboots said:
Hello All,

I am very interested in all the Dominican Republic activity. I have finally settled in in Juan Dolio and have begun to explore the coastline. I met Cpt Billy years ago and was aware he was working in Samana. I was wondering do you think the south shore also has its share if wrecks still undiscovered out there. I am not a professional treasure hunter owning a boat and a towfish magnetometer or side scan sonar. I am just hoping to get lucky. After all the reef is the same as the north shore seems just as dangerous to run aground or strike some sub surface coral. And Santo Domingo is on the south shore. What do you think the south shore has to offer.

Joe

I think the South shore of the DR holds more treasure then the North Coast. However, someone already has the whole Southern Coast of the DR under permit. I know there are several people on this board that are in fact working that permitted area and I am sure they could tell you a lot more then I can. :icon_pirat:

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi Joe,

Southern coast of DR is full of undiscovered shipwrecks but most of the areas are or National Parks or it is already under the lease of some salvage company. Area around Isla Saona and Isla Catalina, east of Juan Dolio, is national park but it is also area that was given for exploration to Indiana University that goes there from time to time. La Caleta close to Santo Domingo is protected area where only small underwater park for tourists was permitted. Palenque, east of Santo Domingo is a place where are several war ships wrecks from early 19th century from the French-English naval battle that ocurred there, but the area is still under the permit of Capt. Tracy Bowden in spite of the fact he has not been working there for years because his prime area is in Samana Bay. Bahia de Ocoa further to the east was under the permit of the company Panama Heritage but they left the country and area around Barahona and Isla Beata close to the Haitian border is under current lease of ARS and Bobby Pritchett's team. Anyway, if you want to know more, I permanently live in Santo Domingo for many years, I also published several books about sunken treasures and historic shipwrecks around the Hispaniola Island, so if you PM me or email me, we can meet. With pleasure. By the way, I will be in Juan Dolio on Wednesday in the afternoon. We could meet there if you want.

Regards,
Lobo (Bobadilla)

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I was hired to go to the Dominican republic to locate Treasure for a small group. The people were great, for a while I had to live on green coconuts, the police thought I was CIA, and when I left the military was looking for the gringo who was finding Gold. It was a great adventure. Dell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread