found new wreck in fl keys

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
found new wreck in keys a few years ago question is should i contact the state and what can i expect to be allowed to do its not a treasure galleon it is right off indian key a belive it was burned to water line by the indians in the attack on indian key in 1840 very hard to find because nothing but tops of wood ribs are above the turrle grass probly not much left opium bottles and clay pipes have been found and lead sheet from the hull any advice will help

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Probably not much left if there is evidence that the ship was burned to the waterline. I believe that before all of our modern salvage technology the salvors would burn the ships to the waterline (if feasible accorning to depth) in order to make it more accessable to the cargo holds and the goods they contained. Anyway, good luck on what you have down there.

Daniel

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• shipwreckHome_r3_c3.jpg
    shipwreckHome_r3_c3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 578
OP
OP
C

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
no i have dove all the 1733 wrecks it sank in 1800s right off indian key near san pedro but it was english ship or early american merchant vessell any one want to go look at it let me know

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
cpt scuba said:
found new wreck in keys a few years ago question is should i contact the state and what can i expect to be allowed to do its not a treasure galleon it is right off indian key a belive it was burned to water line by the indians in the attack on indian key in 1840 very hard to find because nothing but tops of wood ribs are above the turrle grass probly not much left opium bottles and clay pipes have been found and lead sheet from the hull any advice will help
Was this burned by Chakika in one of the Seminole Wars during his massacre of Indian Key?
http://www.keyshistory.org/IK-massacre-2.html

Attachments

• indiankey.jpg
    indiankey.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 480
OP
OP
C

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
yes ive always figured that this wreck was anchored just off shore and was burned by the seminoles in the 1840 attack that killed houston and perrine

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Interesting. I have a pre-1840 hand drawn map of the Indian Key buildings somewhere n my boxes.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cpt Scuba, Sorry I cant help with the State.
Something of interest. Cheif Chekika was later hunted down, scalped, and hung by a Corporal Hall stationed on the Florida East Coast. (Fort Dallas). Few besides those in the US Army lived here at that time. After the hurricanes of 2004, I found a yet to be identified silver tag, possibly from a coffin, with the name JoAnn L. Hall and dated 12-30-43 and 1-2-44, near a failed settlement, driven off in 1850 by Indian hostilities. Could they be related?

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 432
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 425

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
diving doc said:
What could that be? A tag from the grave or coffin of a child who died shortly after birth?
I think so. :-\ Can you help ID?

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cpt scuba said:

Don't get caught with a metal detector in the water around Indian Key. The waters around the Key are on the watch list for the Marine Patrol, NOAA, Fishers group, and a few others. There are a number of wrecks there and by "fanning" the bottom you'll almost always come up with something, but again, the risks are high. The Marine Patrol overflights watch any diving activity there and if you're spotted you can count on someone coming out and boarding you.
Deepsix47

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread