not shipwreck related but treasure related question for you guys

kasparov747

Apr 21, 2008
just curious if you guys do any land detecting when not in the water? i have never been shipwreck salvaging or hunting but do mine on land. and like you folks it does take a heck of a lot of research to find those goodies. many hours spent on the net and also in libraries. i have found my share of good stuff but things are getting harder to find and new laws are popping up all the time in cities that practically stop anyone from metal detecting. im sure you guys have bad apples that dont so the right thing and spoil your shipwreck salvaging and the same here as we have guys who go to city parks and dig holes the size of trash cans to recover a single silver coin when its not needed. i have been to places that those type of folks have been there before me and it looks like a gopher came through on a 3 day drunk. i try my best to dig as small a plug as necessary and when finished try to make things look like no one ever even dug a plug there at all. anyway sorry to ramble just wanted to know how many of you did any dirt fishing? have a good day to all of you and hope you all find some gold at the bottom of the sea. TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For shipwrecks occuring near shore, survivor's camp or (later) salvor's camp may be on the adjacent beach or inland, just beyond the sand. Certainly worth checking out--if high-rise condos aren't already there.
Don........

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
many shipwrecks occured as vessels travelling in shallow waters close to shore ( because they used "dead reckoning type navagation" --using known visual land marks marked upon maps as navagational aids back then -- thus they had to stay within visual sight of land) -- sadly for them once the storms hit them --often times they were driven into the shoreline area by the hurricanes or powerful storms and either hit reefs just offshore or "bottom bounced" on their hulls until their hulls were smashed to bits -- the powerful waves and other later storms often washed valuible items onto or into the beaches sands over time * ---so metal detecting beaches at areas with known offshore wrecksites in hopes of finding a bit of treasure is quite popular.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread