Outstanding NEW "Atocha" book

dcrooks

Nov 10, 2004
Outstanding NEW "Atocha" book

As many of you know, I was vice president of Treasure Salvors (Mel Fisher’s company that salvaged the “Atocha”) back in the early days (mid-70s). The truth of what really went on during the “Atocha” salvage has never been written…until now. Syd Jones (an 18 year veteran of Treasure Salvors) has done an outstanding job of recording the peaks and valleys of the company, the trials and tribulations of fighting the State of Florida, the financial difficulties, and the long days of drudgery at sea. You’ve gotta read it if you have any interest in the “Atocha” or what treasure salvage is really like. This book is going to keep you up at night because you can’t put it down!

Bibliographic listing from www.sunkentreasurebooks.com
Jones, Capt. Syd
Atocha Treasure Adventures: Sweat of the Sun, Tears of the Moon – A True Story
ISBN/ISSN: 9781450765237
Category: Sunken Treasure
Keywords: Atocha, 1622 Fleet, Santa Margarita, Mel Fisher
Comments: Illustrated
Size: 6” x 9”
Pages: 334
Editions: The first edition (stated) was published by Signum Ops, Merritt Island, Florida (2011), in paperback.
Description: This book is written by one of the very few people who worked for the Treasure Salvors organization (Mel Fisher’s company) and was in the ‘trenches’, day after day. Syd Jones started out as a diver, worked his way up to captain of several Fisher salvage vessels, and ultimately became the operations manager of the company in his later years. This book describes the relentless race to salvage the ‘mother lode’ of the “Nuestra Senora de Atocha”, the richest treasure wreck in the western hemisphere ever found. The book contains many previously unpublished photos and eight maps.
Available from: www.lulu.com (SEARCH ON Syd Jones)

SIGNED COPIES ARE AVAILABLE DIRECTLY FROM THE AUTHOR AT: [email protected]

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Outstanding NEW "Atocha" book

Received my copy, cant wait to dig in!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding!

Can't wait! :hello2:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have just released Syd's book on Amazon for those of you who buy books there.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Atocha Treasure Adventures: Sweat of the Sun, Tears of the Moon is now also available in a Kindle edition on Amazon for $4.95.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What an excelent book, a must read for any salvor and a must have for any treasure book collector.

Any chance of a re-print as a hard cover with colour photo's as this is one book that deserves it ?

VOC

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

An outstanding book. One of the best I have read in years. Be sure to go to Amazon and leave a review. Capt Syd would appreciate that.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will be certain that Syd hears what you all have said here on Treasurenet. When I first read the book, I knew that anybody who had been in the search, anywhere at sea, on any wreck, would find Syd's book absolutely on the mark. Even non-divers would have to feel the surge and excitement.

I have produced a color copy of the black and white version, and it is absolutely gorgeous, but, the expense of a one-off print job comes to $77.00 per copy without devoting cash to a 1000 copy run. I'm hoping a large publisher will pick it up for a color edition. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile, if you really want a color copy, I can get them.

In one of the last chapters, Syd talks about the Cabin Wreck and digging in the deeper water. I got his chart. Apparantly his excavations were never incorporated into the T.S. record base.

Tom: you and Chagy are mugged in the Jupiter Wreck book, thanks to Chagy's photo contributions. That's another book that will be a killer in full color!

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got my signed copy at the TH cookout and agree it is a GREAT read!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Terry, I assume you are talking about Bob Behr's book? Any time frame on when that will be released?

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom:
Bob Baer and I have been working on it for a number of months and I think I might have printed editor copy out by the end of July. It will be in 8X11 format, and it is already packed full of photos and maps... and I still have 80 more pages to format.

Once I have corrected the editor copy, its only a matter of a few days, so I,m anticipating early September. Depends on how much diving I get in this season.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just finished Syds book. When I wasnt sleeping, I was reading. It reminded me of reading Lone Survivor, once you start reading, you cant put it down. Great job Syd and Terry!

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I JUST went to Amazon and ordered my copy. I can't wait! As a former diver, I was always entralled with that entire operation of finding that ship.

In fact years ago, I ran out and bought a Garret Sea Hunter detector, because I heard Mel say that it was the best underwater metal detector for the money! (I still have it and it still works!)

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Great Book! I read it in two sittings because I couldn't put it down. Thanks Syd and Terry!
Aquanut

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000

Looking forward to the read. $25 seems a little steep for a signed copy. I'll look for one on-line.

DL

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey DiverLynn:
If you want a signed copy, the book has to be shipped and packaged twice: once from the printer to Syd, then from Syd to you. The book weighs about 1.25 pounds and runs anywhere from $1.43 to $2.68 for postage. Package and handling not included.

If you buy a used copy, or a new one from Amazon, bring it to the FUN show in January, and at the Treasure Hunters Book Club meeting (actually the "Sunken Treasure Literature Club") I think Syd will be there to sign them. The FUN show is going to be in Orlando this coming January.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Syd,

If you are reading this, pm me and lets talk warbirds.

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread