Hurricanes reveal two ship wrecks

C

CaptainZossima

One of two ship wrecks un-sanded by the hurricanes is in New Smyrna Beach Florida. I had to laugh when I read that the government sanctioned archaeologist was worried about looters. The biggest looter is the government. Americans create wealth, and the government immediately finds a way to loot, I mean tax, it. In Florida, the state gets about 20% of the legally attained 'loot'. I've never read where We The People get to see that 20% in a museum or on display. Captain Z. adrift in a dune.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1770's wreck at 3rd ave in new smyrna beach was the only one unsanded,it is now covered back up with sand,there was nothing to loot,allthats left is wood timbers,it was a beach wreck,im sure that whatever was left from it got picked off the beach by people thru the years,however its now on the florida master site list,if the state was really concerned about it,they should dig it up and conserve it and put it in a museum,for all to see since its the most intact wreck in florida.by the time its unsanded again,it may not be there anymore,no one will ever see the timbers again.

where is the second unsanded site? ive been up an down the new smyrna beach strip and didnt see any others,some parts the dunes are washing away an others its getting sanded in.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank yew!! Found a timber washed up on a treasure coast beach today..top 2" heavily encrusted with shells, bottom 6" clean, pristine, but sand abraded. Earlier found a heartwood beam, old, sand abraded, with what looks like hand made wrought iron spikes. The inconsistent thing is the iron spikes were only lightly oxidized, even tho the timber had obvious end deterioration from exposure. BTW, St. Lucie still says that most of their beach accesses are closed, with only -4- open.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread