Hawaii Wrecks

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2011
Aloha,

I noticed a group of diggers but I would like to search for wrecks, either nautical or aircraft. Several are used for diving here but I would like to try to find some of the out of the way ones. I'm looking for basic tips on how to start....... a listing of lost vessels or aircraft in the Oahu area, etc.

Where do we find information like this? Such as (like I'd ever find it) a lost vessel from the 1700-1800's, or any vessel, last estimated location, etc? How do we know which vessels were even in the are or of any events?

Any help that is constructive is greatly appreciated!!

Troy

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Troy, the first stop is your local library. I have found more wrecks listed in newspaper archives and records than I can count. Read treasure hunting books, Harpers Weekly, NY Times, historical records, etc. Check out the local museums and historical societys. Thats a start.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived on oahu for 12 years.I found several ww2 aircraft in the waters around oahu.A jap zero,a P-39 aircobra and a P-40 flying tiger and a P-47 thunderbolt,A B-17 up on the pali near the lookout and some shot up aircraft engines at bellows afb buried in the dirt.Some of the planes were found by research and the rest were found by chance.As far as old wooden shipwrecks around the island.There are none.You may want to try around maui in lahaina it was a whaling town.

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2011
Salvor,
Thanks for the suggestions. As you probably guess, I'm new at this and have no idea of the activity that was in the area but I do wonder about some of the more famous excursions to the area. I'll have to do some brush up on Hawaiian history as well I think. I will have to give the Maritime Museum a visit when they open again.

Fisheye,
That's very interesting on the aircraft. Funny thing is the only one charrters take you to in the Coursair at 110ft. It's becoming seriously erroded as could be expected, sure all the diving activity doesn't help as I've seen some serious "bottom kicking". I'm new to diving but I know bad form when I see it and some of the videos were flat horrible. I'll definately be looking into the old newspapers about things such as on Maui, have a friend moving there in two weeks ironically. Would like to see a wooden hull and do some research on it.

Thanks again and I look forward to becoing an active member. Hope all have happy hunting and always stay safe!!

Troy

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola, Troy. Welcome to Tnet.
The Hawaiian government knows of a Spanish Galleon on the Big Island under coral.
I will try and find the web site.
Ossy

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2011
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
Hola, Troy. Welcome to Tnet.
The Hawaiian government knows of a Spanish Galleon on the Big Island under coral.
I will try and find the web site.
Ossy

Hola and Aloha Ossy,

Now this is VERY interesting!! I would love a look at the website if you can find it and possibly pursue it as a research project for one of my class projects for next year. I am enrolled in what is called the Marine Option Program. This poses issues in a few ways both for US/Hawaii and Spain. With someone trying to salvage it could become very complex as there are not only the cultural retrieval or preservation of items, from the archaeological point the documentation of the Galleon could reveal who knows what artifacts but then there is the environmental issues that would come with excavation..... WOW! Do they know the name of the Galleon? Known historical information?

Mahalo (Thank You),
Troy

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gday. Troy, Have a look at this link.http://www.captainrick.com/influences.htm
Looks like the University of Hawaii's tried in 1999, but I can't find any more Informaton, You might have
better luck, living in Hawaii.
The Spanish names for the Islands " La Mesa ( The table ) Los Monges (The Monks ) and La Desgraciada
The Unfortunate one "
You Would have to check the Mexico archives for a Possible name on the Galleon, Nine went missing
between 1565 and 1800s.
please let me know if you have any luck with the University.
Cheers, Ossy

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2011
Wow..... lots of wrecks around but this one is a difficult one. I think I may have found other info on the wreck in particular. Seems that UH (University of Hawaii) found it while doing survey, they were actually looking for it's location. It is (from my understanding) possibly the Content, one of two ships that reportedly took place in the capture and eventual scuttling of the Spanish Galleon Santa Anna (Cabo San Lucas area).
Captained by Stephen Hare, the Content and Desire (Thomas Cavendish, English pirate of some repute) were enroute back to England from the area around southern California. Desire (120 tons) and Content (60 tons) confronted Santa Anna (700 tons). Unverified (by myself) content of the Santa Anna is presumed to be 122,000 in gold or silver Pesos as well as 1.2M in gold. The two vessels could not carry everything, some was reported as stashed ashore before the Santa Anna was burned in the harbor.
With the Desire in the lead, the Content lagged behind and was not seen again. Reported to have sunk in two different locations being "a sheltered harbor north of Cabo" and also on the reefs "off of Palemano Point, Hawaii". I would imagine that if this is the Content, she may be heavily loaded but encrusted in coral. As for being able to see anything..... not sure at this point.

Thanks for the translations for the island names of the time. I sent you a pm/message, not sure which.

Aloha,

Troy

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
The speculation last time I looked around was that it was either the Christo De Burgos or San Francisco De Xavier.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a story that long ago back in the 1840’s, a ship named the Spec was involved in smuggling operations. Supposedly it transported a cargo of opium to the Islands and there sold the cargo and received around $100,000 in gold coins. After the sale the ship sailed into Kaulakahi Channel and was caught in a fierce storm. The ship sank taking the gold to the bottom, only a couple of the crew survived to relate the story of the large amount of gold coins which went to the bottom. The value of the lost gold coins has been estimated at several million in today’s values.

A satellite image of the region in which the Spec sank, so far the location has never been discovered.

Attachments

• Kaulakahi Channel Hawaii.JPG
    Kaulakahi Channel Hawaii.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 867

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is believed that a shipwreck lies off Palemano Point which could very well be a Spanish treasure galleon which sank during a storm while on its way to the Spice Islands. If this is so, the wreck dates back to the early 1500’s.

Attachments

• Hawaii Spanish wreck site.jpg
    Hawaii Spanish wreck site.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 2,430
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuzco squirrel, fisheye, would love to work on it, but am effectively anchored here in ole Mexico with mules instead. Have a full blooded Japanese sister that lives on Maui, Mitsuki Nakamura, she is married now, naturally, she was one cottin pickin cute gal, but I have no idea her married name.

Don Jose de la Mancha .

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i was still living in hawaii i would be checking out those wrecks but since im in florida ill stick to those closer to home.But if someone wants to hire me with my mag and sidescan to look for those wrecks not much would stop me from getting on a jet to hawaii.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fish eye, if a germinating seed sprouts, you might be asked to go to the Sea of Cortez to locate Zimmerman's lost gold ship. Actually a piece of cake. I am just starting to stir things up a bit, soo when??? patience.. Can your mag equipment be modifed for airborne work? Say in a light aircraft? The side scan would come in later to finalize it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2011
FISHEYE said:
It is believed that a shipwreck lies off Palemano Point which could very well be a Spanish treasure galleon which sank during a storm while on its way to the Spice Islands. If this is so, the wreck dates back to the early 1500’s.

The second account comes from Island natives who state a pirate ship named Content sank on the reefs of Palemano Point off the island of Hawaii.
The Content and her prized treasure have never been found and her fate remains a mystery.

Same same??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread