Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well being an American I'm not allowed! >:(

I once enquired into traveling to Cuba with US Customs on the phone and within 5 minutes of hanging up my internal office phone rang directly bypassing the main office phone system. It was the State Department wanting to know why I was enquiring into travel to Cuba, what was I going to do there, who I was…

So I told them the truth. I wanted to go shipwreck treasure hunting. I was tired of waiting for sanctions to be lifted (Clinton promised) and Castro to die!

They informed me that basically US citizens do not have general travel privileges to Cuba.

I asked them why not and just got a repeat of the above…

Man that was like 15 years ago, and now I’m wondering if it will happen within my viable lifetime of being physically capable.

Cuba is like the Treasure Coast – pre Real Eight!!!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I read somewhere fairly recently, that China was given access for oil drilling, and I think shipwreck salvage.

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello LSMorgan,

As I know, the exclusive rights for any shipwreck salvage operations in rthe Cuban waters holds the Cuban company CARISUB. Some foreign companies or even individuals were allowed to work with them in the past but I do not know the conditions. Who could give you more detailed and correct information is Claudio Bonifacio (aka Vox Veritas in this Forum) because he told me that he had been working with CARISUB on one specific shipwreck project recently.

Good luck and regards,
Lobo

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I may be wrong but I thought Canada had some sort of exploritory rights or license as well. It may not be treasure related and could be mineral related or whatever. Not sure.

My parents have been going to Cuba for over 10yrs about 3 - 4 times a year, sometimes for up to a month at a time. I've been a half dozen times as well. Never could get my detector into the country though..... :(

Canada and Cuba have always been friendly with each other. Trudeau and Castro were buddies don't ya know!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There was a Canadian salvage company working there 10-12 years ago, but I havent heard anything at all since the initial news release. Visa Gold I think was the name.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CanadianTrout said:
I may be wrong but I thought Canada had some sort of exploritory rights or license as well. It may not be treasure related and could be mineral related or whatever. Not sure.

My parents have been going to Cuba for over 10yrs about 3 - 4 times a year, sometimes for up to a month at a time. I've been a half dozen times as well. Never could get my detector into the country though..... :(

Canada and Cuba have always been friendly with each other. Trudeau and Castro were buddies don't ya know!

Man I wish I was Canadian!! lol well I was only a few miles off from being one!

I remember a TV program not sure if it was NatGeo or not, but at one point in the show they were in Cuba talking about shipwrecks. The Cuban scientist just pointed down the coast and said there’s cannon all up and down the coast you can see them just laying on the reefs, but we can’t do anything with them or the wrecks they belong to.

The gist of that part of the story was about them lacking resources of dive gear let alone preserve artifacts. The US TV crew and I think the humanitarian group that was actually the “sponsor” of the trip had some smart people on it and figured out that Cuba had an unknown abundance of a preservation resource, their sugar!

They had figured out that it could be used for preserving artifacts, so then to help the Cubans overcome their lack of gear the crews left their dive gear for them when the trip was completed!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow Au_Dreamers. Imagine all those untouched wrecks. Well maybe untouched. Think of the local fishman knowledge floating around there with nothing to do.

Nice of those guys to leave their gear on the island. But relaly it doesn't even scratch the surface. The US Embargo has a death grip on these people and is keeping the whole country locked in the fifty's. Literally. I hoping the change of guard down their over the last while might help; but who knows.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1991-93 I worked for CARISUB and 1998-2000 for RAMAL, a French-Italian company that got a permit in Cuba. This is a minimal idea of the potential for shipwrecks in Cuban waters, but there are many more very important shipwrecks.
Cheers VV

Attachments

• RAMAL Business Plan for Cuba.jpg
    RAMAL Business Plan for Cuba.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 392

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Re: How many missing ships?

Vox veritas said:
In 1991-93 I worked for CARISUB and 1998-2000 for RAMAL, a French-Italian company that got a permit in Cuba. This is a minimal idea of the potential for shipwrecks in Cuban waters, but there are many more very important shipwrecks.
Cheers VV

Thanks VV. Your posting reminds me of a question that has been digging at me. As an interested reader and student-beginner in the interests of shipwrecks I have wondered how well documented ship losses were back starting in the 1400s? Has anyone ever been able to compile a list of missing ships not located, or would that be like trying to drink the ocean with a spoon?

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How many missing ships?

Digger54 said:
Thanks VV. Your posting reminds me of a question that has been digging at me. As an interested reader and student-beginner in the interests of shipwrecks I have wondered how well documented ship losses were back starting in the 1400s? Has anyone ever been able to compile a list of missing ships not located, or would that be like trying to drink the ocean with a spoon?
John S Potter Jr's Treasure Diver's Guide might be a good place to start some reading

CanadianTrout said:
Wow Au_Dreamers. Imagine all those untouched wrecks. Well maybe untouched. Think of the local fishman knowledge floating around there with nothing to do.
Yeah Florida in the 60's and 70's!! WOOT - if only...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread