Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well I finally broke down and made my own hookah. It cost less than $300. I found the Gast twin cylinder compressor on Ebay for $100. I bought a new 2-1/2 hp engine at Harbor Freight for $100 (with the 20% off coupon) and mounted it all on a 3" by 1" piece of aluminum 16" long. It helps to have your own machine shop. I even made my own pulley and then had all the Al parts anodized.

Attachments

• DCP01460.JPG
    DCP01460.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 3,656
  • DCP01461.JPG
    DCP01461.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 11,112
  • DCP01465.JPG
    DCP01465.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,818

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Looks great Salvor, very professional job! You might just have some orders coming in for the next few dozen! I would only suggest you distance the air compressor intake from the engine exhaust so as not to breathe the toxic carbon monoxide but you surely know that, not sure is the one hose is the intake. Congratulations!
Panfilo

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks good Pete! I like the belt tensioner. I made one that used a bolt on the bottom with slots. I take it that is for only one person, as the 2 person has a 5 hp Honda. I had a 5 Hp Honda on mine and it flipped in the water and I put on a Harbor Freight 6.5 Hp Honda Clone. It is much heavier, but it pumps out more air than 2 could use. With the 5 Hp, with 2 it wasnt bad, but sometimes you could tell that the other diver was breatheing harder, as it would get a little harder to breathe. But that was just at above an idle. The new one idling is plenty. When I flipped the old one over I got a used one that had a 3.5 briggs, and it was just for 1 person.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I meant to post this on the Diving & Underwater Equip. board. Panfilo I have a long hose for the intake thats mounted far from the exhaust. Steve the pump is the PVD 10 pump that puts out 6.5 CFM at 100psi. It is for 2 divers and the engine (actually 3hp) seems to have enough power to keep up the supply. I want to build a couple more but those pumps are difficult to find used.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bad ass!

How much does it weigh?
Do you have plans/prints for those of us playing along at home? Is the machining limited to the pully?

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Pete you may try Les Savage for additional pumps . He has a lot of materials laying around . Another nice item to think about is a buffertank so you don.t suck air directly from the compressor . In general well built , and an exellent job . Cornelius

pistolpete

Jan 23, 2006
Fort Erie,Ontario,Canada
Detector(s) used
1280,excal,pi pro,sea hunter 2,x terra 70
Looks great but......if that is not real breathing hose you have, do yourself a life saving favor and get the real deal. It's costly, but it is made for breathing compressed air an rated for at least 400 psi. Plastic and vinyl hoses are not meant for breathing compressed air.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't have plans or blueprints. I just laid it out as I went along. I'll check with Les Savage for more pumps. The hose is FDA food grade breathing hose from Amazon Hose.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built a expansion tank out of a stainless steel Budweiser beer keg.Tomorrow ill get some pics of it.Nice job on the pump,pete.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Fisheye. Thats the only last componenent I need is a cheap storage tank.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, I have seen PVC expansion tanks work well. Many people think it is for reserve air, which of course it isnt, it helps with the pulseing that the pump does, the hose doesnt shake so bad. If you go to a big plumbing place, they could cut you a 2' long piece of 6" PVC and sell you 2 caps, and then you drill and tap and put in a brass fitting for the hose from the pump, and one for the reg. I have seen them with just one fitting like an RO water system pressure tank, but the 2 fittings work better. A water system pressure tank would work good for a reserve tank, just pump the bag to 50 PSI. I had thought of doing that for a boat only hookah, since all the tanks I have are non stainless steel. I have a 5 gallon RO tank that would work good. But like I said, it only has 1 fitting.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres my beer keg expansion tank.Its a little dirty with sand.Had it upside down outside.With 2 more hose couplers i can run 4 hoses off this tank.The compressor i have handles 6 hoses or 6 people.

Attachments

• beerkegexpansiontank1.jpg
    beerkegexpansiontank1.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 10,111
  • beerkegexpansiontank2.jpg
    beerkegexpansiontank2.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 2,810

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
I bought my Hookah 1 year ago and I spent $2,400.00 for it. I had the chance to build my own home-made hookah. To build one, you have to be sure how you design it, because the possible multiple danger involved when you breathe no clean air. It's recommended to attach filters and oil less compressor. The picture that I attached is an example of how you could feel if you breathe contaminated air.

Salvor6, I hope nothing happen to you and find lots of coins. :icon_thumright:

Good luck

Arch

Attachments

• frumheadupass.jpg
    frumheadupass.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,958

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Archy . I think Salvor6 is capable enough to sort everything out . Did you build one like he did ? Cornelius

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arch,

Did you know you could get sick and die from a store bought hookah compressor setup?All it takes is to get mold or fungus growing in your hoses or regulator and your lungs are history.Hoses and air intake pipes can be cleaned with a very mild solution of bleach then washed out with simple green cleaner then dry air dried.This is what the scuba shops use to clean tanks for nitrox use.It doesnt matter if you build or buy a hookah compressor,you just have to know how to clean it and to take care of it so you dont get sick or die.

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
FISHEYE said:
Arch,

Did you know you could get sick and die from a store bought hookah compressor setup?All it takes is to get mold or fungus growing in your hoses or regulator and your lungs are history.Hoses and air intake pipes can be cleaned with a very mild solution of bleach then washed out with simple green cleaner then dry air dried.This is what the scuba shops use to clean tanks for nitrox use.It doesnt matter if you build or buy a hookah compressor,you just have to know how to clean it and to take care of it so you dont get sick or die.

Of course... You have to make maintenance to your equipment. :icon_thumright:

Arch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread