Beach laws on the Treasure Coast

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Hi;

I am posting these questions on this forum since the group here is versed about the wreck sites on the Treasure Coast and can probably answer my questions.

As I understand it, the average joe can detect on the beach as long as they stay between the high tide mark and the toe of the dunes. That being said, technically speaking anyone detecting wet sand during peak low tide regardless of being out of the water is violating the law if they are below the high tide mark?

I read that the parking access areas along the treasure coast are closed from sunset to sunrise. I take that to mean that metal detecting on the beaches is also closed during that time frame since they are limiting beach access?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can detect at night,just have someone drop you off and pick you up later.I prefer to hunt at night.Much cooler and less people.

OP
OP
Digger54

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
FISHEYE said:
You can detect at night,just have someone drop you off and pick you up later.I prefer to hunt at night.Much cooler and less people.

Hi Fisheye;

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the clarification about after sunset hunting :icon_thumleft:. I could not agree with you more about it being cooler with less interuptions at night.

OP
OP
Digger54

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You can detect where the water washes up, up to the dune, no wadeing. And for the times, the Sheriff locks the gate at sunset. Once at Turtle I came back up and the sheriff said, " I came by and saw your car, so I went and locked the others, you are lucky I just got here as I would have locked it." But the next time I stayed down there late, I came out and the gate was locked, so I detected most of the night, and slept in my car the rest.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do report finds that you think might be of particular interest to the archaeological community. Those are things that might in some way add to the body of knowledge of the discipline. It doesn't happen very often, and I think you'll enjoy the results if you are lucky enough to find something important.

Uh, .................. right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread