Slave Ships from the UK

E

edcumming

Hi
My name is Ed Cumming and I have recently moved to the Isles of Scilly (IOS), an archipelago off the tip of Cornwall, England. I am joint project leader of the Earl of Abergavenny excavation which takes place in Weymouth Bay, England (see www.weymouthdiving.co.uk ) In the IOS we have a suspected slave ship that was wrecked here in 1843 called the Douro, some of you are probably aware of the bracelet type tokens called Manilla's which are often recovered from this wreck. Since 2007 is the bicentenary I am planning to write a short article on recoveries of slave trade goods from shipwrecks. This is where I would value input from any members having knowledge of such artifacts. Many thanks in anticipation'
Ed C

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have some great information on the slave ship Henrietta Marie, sunk in 1700 off Key West, Florida. Email me if you would like some information. There is also a great deal about this shipwreck on the world wide web.

Tom
[email protected]

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
Go to www.melfisher.org for data on Henrieta Marie slave ship. Also August 2002 National Geographic magazine and the History channel has a show on Henrieta Marie.
Donovan

UK_Treasure_Hunter

Feb 22, 2006
England
Detector(s) used
Coin Pro II, e-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case anyone hasn't seen one and is curious, this is a Manilla slave token from the wreck of the Douro:

Manilla.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions