New to Treasure Salving Had some questions about underwater in Florida...

LuckyGoods

Greenie
May 31, 2011
Caledonia, Ohio
Ok, so i've been doing this and that here and there in the last few months, and plan on expanding some fo the things i do. I have begun to take an interest in treasure hunting, and am thinking about impulsively taking a small 3 day trip down to Florida at the end of next month.

I guess my biggest question is about underwater diving and searching. Are their any special things that you have to have? I see these big vessells, but i am really thinking about just getting in the water not so close to shore, and just checking around in some places waving off sand if i find stuff. I reallize that this seems like a waste, but this would really be just to get out of the ordinary and have an adventure.

Do you have to have any kind of permits or anything like that. Can anyone give me some insight, cause this is self funded. Don't expect to hit it rich, but really looking to have some fun on the search.

Thanks in advance.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As best my understanding takes me (and there are people here who know for certain and will correct me if I'm wrong)...

The places you'd be apt to go to stand a chance in hell at randomly lucking into something are probably going to be in the 1715 fleet zone. All those are covered by leases. If you're just swimming around hand-fanning the bottom, I'd imagine it would be next to impossible to catch you and/or prove you're doing anything wrong, but you can't bring in a MD to those places.

If you're just picking a random spot somewhere along the Florida coastline and diving in; it's very, very, very unlikely you're going to find anything meaningful. It isn't like the nearshore regions of the entire Florida seabed is blanketed with treasure... which is something a person might be apt to fantasize about if their imagination gets away from them.

To give you an example: I've been MD'ing St. Augustine shoreline waters for over a decade. There are *a lot* of very old wrecks off that particular stretch of coast and there's even supposed to be a 1715 fleet straggler lost somewhere on the north end... and yes, from time to time, a tourist on the beach lucks into a coin. Still, in my 15 years doing it, I've never found a Shipwreck coin, and I've spent a lot of time out there looking.

If you just want a random adventure, I'd say do it. If you want a realistic chance at actually finding something, you'll probably have to plan a bit and perhaps, talk to some of the people here who go out to those places.

OP
OP
L

LuckyGoods

Greenie
May 31, 2011
Caledonia, Ohio
I guess that kind of helps. My big thing is that next year i plan on taking a trip down there, and will in fact put some work into where i would like to go, and actually look for something.

It sounds like people stake claim to portions of the ocean. Nobody else can search in that area from what i'm gathering.

I mean if i happen to come to an area that i think is good, i can't just dive there could i? It sounds like i could get in trouble. I don't want to cross any lines or get in an trouble.

ericschmitt2005

Apr 2, 2011
No, you cannot search for treasure anywhere there is a previous lease. The best bet is to invest with an existing operation which would allow you to get some "bottom time."

For example, the 1715 fleet between Sebastian and Jensen Beach are off limits. Always ask an official, because it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,

Eric Schmitt
Booty Salvage

culverin

Greenie
Sep 28, 2009
lower Fl. keys
Detector(s) used
excaliber II aqua mag aqua pulse
keep in mind that all federal, state and municipal parks, national wildlife refuges and marine sanctuarys are off limits to metal detectors. a lot of Fla's shore line as well as the whole Fla. Keys fall under this catagory. you might get away with looking and a little hand fanning but if you are caught with a metal detector, you will be in big trouble

OP
OP
L

LuckyGoods

Greenie
May 31, 2011
Caledonia, Ohio
I hear often about people in florida on the beaches with a M/D finding treasures, and even advertisements of that. I'm kind of confused now.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
LuckyGoods said:
I hear often about people in florida on the beaches with a M/D finding treasures, and even advertisements of that. I'm kind of confused now.

You are confusing yourself. Your original post indicated your interest in finding treasure in the ocean. In the quote above, you mention the beach. Pound the sand all you want in proximity to a lease. Get in the water with your detector - :nono: .

OP
OP
L

LuckyGoods

Greenie
May 31, 2011
Caledonia, Ohio
I guess i was considering two different things.
Is there a way to find out areas that are under lease as you call it.

I am only preparing for a trip next year for dive, as i have never dived a day in my life. I reallize it seems wierd that i am asking a lot of questions, but its just because i want to prepare myself. I am scheduled for Diving instruction at the beginning of July here in ohio. I will be taking my trip to florida, in which i just intend to detect on land on the beaches and such. I want to get a feel for the area before i begin planning my full trip and invest some thousands of dollars in a trip. I can spend a grand on a week trip and see what is going on there, and if things are good then take a nice diving vacation/hunting trip next year.

Proper planning should minimize the amount of unknown variables, and maybe get lucky too. Especially if i know where i can, and cannot go.

So as i understand, on land i can M/D til my hearts content.
In water unless i have a permit of some sort, and in a specific area, then i best not have a M/D on me.

However i can dive in alot of places, but without a M/D. I can wave off the silt on the ground, and see if i can see anything without getting in trouble?

Am I about correct on this one?

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
LuckyGoods said:
So as i understand, on land i can M/D til my hearts content.
In water unless i have a permit of some sort, and in a specific area, then i best not have a M/D on me.

However i can dive in alot of places, but without a M/D. I can wave off the silt on the ground, and see if i can see anything without getting in trouble?

Am I about correct on this one?

As long as you are not removing any artifacts from a leased site, you can pretend to be a hover craft. ;D

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
LuckyGoods said:
Artifacts......

IE Treasure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artifact_(archaeology)

To the best of my knowledge you can dive all you want and even use a detector as long as you are not in the lease zones.They are known wrecks that people have found and have filed a salvage claim on and were permited by the state to conduct salvage operations on these locations.But the state has all but stopped giving permits out for anything but exploration (Serious searching with side scan sonar).Once you find anything they want you to get a permit to remove anything but have to jump thru hoops then they deny the application.
There are salvage operations that you can invest in and actually dive and work the wreck sites, but as for the details of how any finds are divided I'm not sure.You can contact Queen's Jewels LLC and possibily subcontract to them but that requires more of an investment,you would need a boat big enough to set up some sort of equipment to move sand.
If you want to search for a new wreck you will have to do tons of research,get a survey boat,side scan sonar,towable magnatometer and LOTS of time and patience,then if you are VERY lucky and do find a treasure wreck you get to spend tons of money on lawyers fighting the state to try to get the permit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread