lOCATED A NEW SHIPWRECK NOW WHAT?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Good morning everyone,
I recently was given information concerning the location of a SHIPWRECK.
I discussed this with a Group of Professional Salvagers who have everything that would be needed.
They had 3 boats from a 22 footer to a 35 footer.
They also had all the right equipment. A magnatometer, Side scan sonar, Infra red underwater camera, Bottom profiler, Metal detectors, GPS etc etc.
BUT here is the problem.
They went to this location with only a Side scan sonar BUT in the first scan they picked up some interesting shaddows. I was told it was nothing but I spen over 26 hours studying this scan printout. I was able to pick out a swivel cannon and a larger cannon or the ships anchor. The ship is laying partially on its side. I was also able to pick out a few more objects like Ox Yoak looking tie downs in the Bow of this ship. There are plenty of shadows but I feel that I can tell the Bow from the Stern and by blowing up the scan to 800% the ship takes shape.
I brought all this to the attention of this Group and YET they have not made a move in any direction to go and do anything. This was over 2 weeks ago.
One member went to a class reunion another member went fishing another member had his phone go off line and has not aswered his email and the last member is working on a boat.
My question to everyone is this:
If you KNEW for a fact that there was a SHIPWRECK that was laying in the mud with EVERYTHING it had when it went down would you be pissing away all this time. One more thing THERE IS NO BALLAST ROCKS to be found anywhere just a bunch of NON FERROUS metal that strech for 60 feet long and is 30 feet wide from the reef to the ship.
My friends this is NOT a joke.
I really need some answers and soon.
Thanks
Peg Leg
This ship is buried in the mud which means that it is in PRIME condition

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Buried in the mud? Shadows? Side scan imaging? Are you sure they didn't use the sub-bottom profiler? Side scan usually doesn't pick up objects too well in the mud.

As far as the group goes, is there a contract in hand? Does it specify a time period? Many long term salvors aren't as anxious as treasure hunters to "go get it now!" They've seen it all and will take their time. If you aren't happy with them, renegotiate the contract.

Best to you,
Darren

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Has the site been secured by any means? I.E. has the site been arested by this group? If it has not, you could have them write a letter stating they are willing to forfeit any rights to the site and file your own salvage claim. But you also need to verify your findings and the only way to do this is dive the site!

By the way how deep is the wreck? Is it within State waters?

Robert in SC

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
hi peg,
rumour where i was working in the bayou's after katrina was thas a m-80 or two, going off just below the waters surface works pretty well before divers are in, and helps with the catch for dinner, dont believe the law enforcement agree untill you throw em in :D, just kidding, just a rumour........
jas

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg Leg; I hope you followed my advise about a Maritime attorney, and are persuing this project in accordance with the laws of the State of Florida and the DHR, or gators and Black tip sharks will be the least of your problems.

Best of Luck

Tom

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I agree with WD1715 about the gators and the sharks being the least of the problems. Although... sharks, lawyers, govt... they all have some big things in common. lol.

Once all the permits and such are in order... as for the gators and sharks... A handgun fired underwater has a great affect on sharks. Not the actual bullet, but the sound and shockwaves from the round going off. Abelone divers in CA have used Glock 17s for that excact reason. If its good enough to scare off a Great white... the little reefies shouldn't be a problem. And florida has some of the most liberal carry laws in the US, so a carry permit shouldn't be a problem. You could also go with a powerhead... but that's more likely to kill the shark, a whole other set of problems
Steve

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
doc, we lawyers get professional courtesy from sharks. LOL.

You're definitely right about needing an attorney to deal with all the bureaucracy. Unfortunatley many laws were written by attorneys .... so that only attorneys can understand them.

As for telling the attorney the location of the wreck, remember, attorneys have confidentiality rules. Most won't consider breaking them because of the possibilites of suspension and disbarrment. If the attorney is an older guy, and reputable, I wouldn't worry about him divulging information. Its the young guys I always have problems with.

Good luck and keep us informed
steve

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
peg leg... you're definitely going about it the right way. And you're right, I said MOST. If the firm/attorney is reputable, I'd put a lot more faith in them. Still not a 100% guarantee.

If you're already dealing with him, had more than one consultation, etc., then regardless of a retainer agreement/fees, the attorney-client privelege exists. I wouldn't be too worried about giving out general information, but remember, (and this is what I tell my clients), I can't help you if you don't tell me the whole truth. Usually, i'm dealing with liars and criminals :D but it still applies. Like I said before, if the firm's reputable, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Steve

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PegLeg, from all the honest treasure hunters. Keep it legal and you and your partner will be OK in the long run.

Tom

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is the side scan image in question. What do you see? When Peg Leg first saw it he said there is a treasure chest on the deck. I pointed out that this is a crab trap with a bouy attached. An expert crabber told him he has never seen a trap like this. I told him the locals build their own traps. You can't blow up a side scan image without losing resolution. I blew the image up and saw a bushel of tomatoes, an outboard motor and a Roarschach (sp) ink blot test.

I never said there is nothing there. There is definitely something there but it is inconclusive, covered with silt. I will be returning there soon with a mag and infared drop camera. The reason there is no ballast pile is that the deck sheared off and landed here. The reefs at the mouth of the river are 2 feet deep for a distance of 3 miles. No way a hull with 18 foot draft could make it in this close. Do you think that is a cannon to the left?

Attachments

• sidescan.jpg
    sidescan.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,434

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Hi Pete

What Side scan frequency are you using?

Can measure the alleged Crab trap (alleged is a great leagal word)

The trap looks like it has been dragged to the right.

I looked at the other highlights but there is no conclusive proof of anything other than that there is something there. but not necessarily a ship. Could be anything.

The mag scan will be interesting.

How deep is the water at that point

Regards

Mike

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Would this have anything to do with the wreck addressed by Cooper42under the topic, "New wreck found-help needed"?

Just curious. Tom

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Tom & Mike,
this is the Humminbird 982. A killer machine! My buddy has a Marine Sonic and the Humminbird is just as good at 1/10 the price. Better than the Wesmar. The freq is 600mhz. I can't give any details right now out of respect to the other parties, maybe later. What do YOU see in this image?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
salvor6,

I believe you mean its a Humminbird 981 or 987 si. The frequency would be 455khz.

The Humminbird is an excellent unit for shallow waters and I have just ordered an additional transducer and switch to use with a towfish. The problem I see with the scan is the resolution is not good enough to determine weather these objects are shipwreck related. I can tell you from experience that what you see on the monitor isn't always what you find on the bottom. And especially from images like the one shown above.

How about the image below? What do you see? It sure looked like a cannon to me and was in an area where ships would dock. There was even a possible ballast pile on shore where they loaded cargo and the cannon could have been jetisoned as well. There was also a British Man of War that sunk nearby, making this a very formidable target. I absoluty had no doubt from this scan that I had a cannon!

To make my point, this actually turned out to be a dock piling!

I am not saying you don't have a shipwreck, but to jump to that conclusion from these scans is jumping the gun. You do have some interesting targets, but you cant tell until you dive on them!

Robert in SC

Attachments

• cannon.jpg
    cannon.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,374
  • cannon.jpg
    cannon.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,357

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
PegLeg,

Do you have the raw image for any of us to look at? Can you send it to me via email? If it has GPS location showing please block it out.

The images that were shown above show very little detail other than the crab trap. I certainly recommend you go back with a Mag and also take some additional side scan images. By the way, there are a few things I need to know. What range was the Humminbird SideScan set to and what was the depth of the water? With these factors you would be able to gage the size of the objects in question.

That is very important to determining what you have here.

Robert in SC

garryk

Greenie
Mar 20, 2005
There is zero evidence of any shipwreck in this side scan sonar record. I hope you did several passes and have more images to look at and without the graphic circles.

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Then as the water is 2.1ft deep and the crab trap is approximately 2ft sq, it is almost out Of the water.

Maybe you can drive a couple of marker posts around the site and walk to the alleged cannon and pull it out.

I assume the area is tidal, and the viz is zero.

But as you know the location and depth is so shallow then it should be easy to investgate it. Of course watch out for the things with teeth that live in your area.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rgecy is right, the unit is a 987si and the frequency is 455khz. The water around the crab trap is 12' deep and the setting on the sidescan was 50'. Here is another anomaly I scanned.

Attachments

• Oval.jpg
    Oval.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,254

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Great scans Pete, can it plug into a paper read out. (I am old school) you can often get better clarity on a printer.

Maybe a jolly boat? certainly looks like something there, was it close to the other image.

What sort ot tide range do you have there.

Is the water fast moving?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions