NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have an idea where a couple of cannon were lost in a river during the civil war. there are supposed to be two of them, and a friend of mine is interested in trying to find them. They are supposed to be bronze, and should be well preserved in the silt. What I want to know is after all this time, if we pull them out, would they still be considered US Army property? Can we legally own them if we were able to salvage them?

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
get in touch with your states archaeologist, he or she should be able to tell you. it might be they will let you keep one or 2 if there are a bunch but if they are extremely rare you might get compensated and they keep them. in my books it is just plain smart to be on the up and up. ours here in ohio has been really good to me.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just a suggestion:
Find them first and verfiy their composition and origin; then find a marine attorney to assist you. Remember that a cannon could be manufactured in one country, purchased for another country's ship then lost/taken aboard a third country's ship during conflict-- which vessel and cannons were subsequently lost at your location.
If you find them, leave them 'in situ' (cover them up, if possible, and keep quiet) then hire a lawyer. Protect YOUR legal rights first before exposing your find to others.
Don........

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As it stands right now, the water is still up too high and stirring up too much silt to do much other than research. We're going to make a trip to the site and get the lay of the land soon, and probably detect the bank area to find the skirmish site. There's supposed to be a lot of other things lost in the area so hopefully we can make some recoveries and nail the location down.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would do all the reasearch yourself. DO NOT get any archeologists involved. Atleast if you want to keep any of your finds.

Larry

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larsmed said:
I would do all the reasearch yourself. DO NOT get any archeologists involved. Atleast if you want to keep any of your finds.

Larry

That's our plan. From what I've read a lot of things went into the river that day to keep them out of Confederate hands. I'm really hoping that with it being a fresh water site, and with all the silt we should get some decent preservation. Hopefully we'll make it out that way soon, if the water goes down enough, and see what turns up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions