Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI:
This from the Sebastian Inlet commission:

In 2010 the District partnered with Indian River County to renourish the beaches south of the inlet. The District's fill template immediately south of the inlet was healthy, not requiring more sand. Due to the state mandate of beach renourishment, the District is obligated to place sand on the beach to maintain its annual beach fill quota. The Indian River County project placed 267,182 cubic yards of sand from upland sand mines starting approximately 5 miles south of the inlet to north of John's Island. The upland sand source was significantly less expensive than previous offshore dredging costs by nearly $10 per cubic yard which helped stimulate the local economy by using local sand mines. The District contributed $4,184,070.12 to the project and gained 3 years of sand credit in Phase I of the project.

Result: dirty water nearshore as particulate from "upland" sand is leached nearshore.

Picture below shows Wabasso beach in September of 2009 with comparative view shot from sea about a week ago. Tons of new sand.

Water north of Inlet is super. Water south of Fort Pierce is pretty good too.
Water at Corrigans is like a toilet nearshore. So much for 'turbidity'. At least excavators can't be blamed.

Attachments

• Image5.gif
    Image5.gif
    220.1 KB · Views: 359

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach renourishment just needs to be banned.The turtles dont like it and either do I.

aloysiusinfla

Jun 6, 2011
TRUE beach sand is very consistent in the size of the grains of sand. Whether it's upland sand from a pit, or dredged crap from offshore full of dead fish skeletons and whale poop, it does not even closely resemble true beach sand.

I asked a Corps of Engineers representative how they determined "compatibility" of the renourishment material. The answer..it matches what's there NOW! I asked "how about comparing to the true material from a decade ago?" Answer..they don't know what that material was.

Of course there's turbidity. Of course the beaches are downright nasty. We have lazy and incompetent "coastal engineers" taking the easy way out and letting Great Lakes Dredging and their buddies dictate what we need.

I'm sorry..do I sound pissed off? Well, I am.

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes perfect sense. Dollars and cents. This is a 50 year (yes 50) project! I wonder what it took to get that contract?

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Money only or just covering up treasure ?

bikerlawyer said:
It makes perfect sense. Dollars and cents. This is a 50 year (yes 50) project! I wonder what it took to get that contract?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about money.

Ain't no money in treasure, but the slight added benefit by the 'Bureaus' of irritating us while they're trapped behind their desks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread