Mystery Shipwreck found off St. Augustine. 06-28-2011

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
I smell trouble in this sentence While it's believed the ship may be British, American or Spanish, the true origin of objects found on board, including a second cannon, pewter spoons and copper cookware, remain a mystery, making it anyone's guess. I wonder if it has cannons is it military or commercial ? :coffee2:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This wreck has been undergoing salvage/discovery for at least 2 years. They have nicknamed her The Storm . Last season, they recovered a cauldron with numerous lead shot, the ship's bell (no inscription), and numerous EO's. One of the EO's turned out to be a Queen Anne's style pistol. This year they are bringing up 2 of the cannon with more laying on the bottom. They speculate that it is British. At the time (Revolutionary), Las Floridas was a British possession. They hypothesize that it was transporting loyalists from the rebelling colonies to a loyal possession.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
very rough guess --but cannon looks to be of the size and type roughly of a rev war or early 1800;s (war of 1812 ) era british 12 Lber to me. :wink: clean her off and it should tell the story of her. :icon_thumright: *( opps corrected to 12 lber - 2,000 lb range ) -- heck a 42 lber was the only smooth bore naval cannon that weighted over 3 tons -- 6,000 lbs

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
If it really weighs 20,000 pounds, then there is no way that can be a 32 pounder, which should weigh more than twice that. That suggests 6 pounder, or short 9 pounder. And it looks too short to be a 32 pounder- that would be at least 9 1/2 feet.

Smithbrown

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Smithbrown said:
If it really weighs 20,000 pounds, then there is no way that can be a 32 pounder, which should weigh more than twice that. That suggests 6 pounder, or short 9 pounder. And it looks too short to be a 32 pounder- that would be at least 9 1/2 feet.

Smithbrown

20,000 pounds? Man, that is one big gun. I think if you re-read the article it is a 2,000 pound gun. It is a about 8 feet in length. Originally, Meade suggested last year that it was a merchant ship. Now, he has proposed a different theory this season as a possible military transport for loyalists.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This should help.

Tom

Attachments

• CANNON DATA.jpg
    CANNON DATA.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 489

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
sorry, typing late at night here and the extra nought crept in. But at that weight and that length, it is a small calibre gun, round the 6 pounder range, as small as 3 or 4 , up to 9.
smithbrown

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
humm say at about 1 ton -- 2000 lbs - could it be 12 lber? --- if so there is a 4 gunned british miltary vessel --HMS Flying Fish that went missing in 1806 while bound from burmuda to britian * --she was a ballahoo class vessel -- small 4 - 12 lber gun sloop of war (fish class)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
ivan salis said:
humm say at about 1 ton -- 2000 lbs - could it be 12 lber? --- if so there is a 4 gunned british miltary vessel --HMS Flying Fish that went missing in 1806 while bound from burmuda to britian * --she was a ballahoo class vessel -- small 4 - 12 lber gun sloop of war (fish class)

Bermuda to Britain? Someone got blown off-course ...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
these vessels were rotten sailing vessels - single masted lil sailing monsters more of a schooner than a sloop actually --many "true " professional naval sea capts when offered "command" of these deathtraps turned them down - it might have been damaged at sea * and thus headed to st augustine for repair when she sank --often ships sailed along the florida coast --using the gulf stream to aid their sailing and ran northward toward jacksonville then cut eastward -- using the ocean "stream" currents within the ocean to assist them on their run for europe

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mad4wrecks said:
This should help.

Tom

That's strange, because we found a 6-pounder once that weighed less than 400 pounds. That general shot-to-cannon-weight guide was no where near correct in this case because the below cannon had a 3 inch bore and also had '6 Pounder' stamped on it.
TW

Attachments

• 6_pound_cannonx500.jpg
    6_pound_cannonx500.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 474
OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Diver_Down

hey thanks for clearing that up. I did not know if this was an entirely different wreck or not. I saw that article last year about finding the caldron and an encrusted flintolock pistol under an xray. So I take it they just found the cannons?

I would think they would have found them first or maybe the news team is finding out late, hehe

Larry

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Larsmed said:
Diver_Down

hey thanks for clearing that up. I did not know if this was an entirely different wreck or not. I saw that article last year about finding the caldron and an encrusted flintolock pistol under an xray. So I take it they just found the cannons?

I would think they would have found them first or maybe the news team is finding out late, hehe

Larry

The cannons were found last year, but they were waiting to bring them up when their Marine Archeology program began this year. Chuck had taken a dive in early December after a storm came through. He said the area was cleaned of overburden and it was like a new site. The Queen Anne's pistol had been removed from the encrustation. Whenever there is a public display of recovered objects, you can bet that they were found earlier. LAMP will get a nice boost in donations due to the latest publicity. There are plenty of retired citizens of the old city with disposable income that look forward to contributing their part in preserving our past.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
No, Ivan, still too light to be 12 pounders, they go in at about 3000- if I have my noughts in the right place.

Bronzecannon- there is a difference in weight between guns cast for state navies- tend to be longer, and definitely heavier - and guns cast for the commercial market, such as your example- lighter and cheaper.

Smithbrown

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions