1622 Spanish Shipwreck gold coin or replica?

TNTiger

Jul 2, 2011
I've had this coin for many years and have no idea where it came from. I researched online but can't seem to find an identical one. It is a slight bit larger than a quarter and has a gold bezel. The coin itself is gold in color ( not sure if it's real gold) it's stamp 1622, OMD, and the number 8 around a crest. The otherside has a cross with the word that appears to be Spania around the left edge.

I believe it's probably a replica of the Atocha or Santa Margarita shipwrecks but similar ones that I have found online are silver colored.

Any additional info or advice about this piece is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 1,607
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 3,432
  • coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 583
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 679

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
It is a tourist fantasy piece. It may be gold in color, but is patterned after a silver 8 reales coin from the Mexico mint.

Welcome to TreasureNet!

Stan

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
TNTiger:

I wouldn't argue with Stan. Are the bezel and coin attached? That would mean it was cast as one piece. Genuine coins, of course, were hand-stamped.

Modern "coins" are supposed to be stamped "COPY." I've noticed on eBay some are - and some aren't.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
T

TNTiger

Jul 2, 2011
Yes, the bezel and coin are attached. After researching it I thought it was a replica. Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread