Florida East Coast Shipwrecks

C

Cappy Z.

Been studying a lot of maps lately...and had Mel Fisher's voice pop in my head....What if... chuckle...there ARE back to back wrecks every 2 miles up and down the entire coast? I mean..I really have been looking at all the maps etc...and it seems plausible that yes indeed many many wrecks are there. Right near the shoreline. And since...there is no 'record' of these 'lesser' vessels..there is no organized hunt.

Just a thought from a man drinking ice cold Guinness..after a long day of....reading. 8)

elbowgeek

Greenie
Aug 29, 2010
Hi Cappy :hello:

I live in Bermuda where the wrecks are supposed to be very much the same. We have a ring of reef which just happens to lie in the Gulf Stream, which often carried unsuspecting Spanish vessels onto our treacherous reef line. There are contemporary descriptions of Bermuda as being a graveyard of wrecks. From my research I gather there are vast quantities of wrecks of all nationalities out there, some of which have apparently slid into deep water after bouncing off our reefs.

Those old ships were virtual floating coffins and it didn't take much to wreck them. It's more a wonder that any ships made it back to old Spain at all frankly. I doubt there are really back to back wrecks off the Florida coast, simply because it's such a vast length of coast line, but I have no doubt that there are a great many wrecks to be found in that area. It really just needs patience and a bit of research.

Cheers

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
cappy theres lots iof wrecks out there that as far as the "records" go they just left port and "dissappeared" -- records of wrecks often only show up if there were one of three events -#1 SURVIVORS -#2 another ship if say in convoy saw it sink , or #3 a land based person saw the wreck , or came upon the wreckage and figgered out which vessel it was.-----many just sailed out of port never to be seen or heard from again. :o

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there are more wrecks than we think.

Trouble is, a lot of these ships weren't carrying treasure and also because of their size weren't worthy of comment.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Hi Cappy, are you going to do some "Wreck Diving" this summer? I like the way you think! Best of luck to you my friend.

Desertfox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread