How Many of You have Heard of L. Frank Hudson?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

humble

May 26, 2011
I came across this huge man made excavation while exploring a shallow creek running thru the Mangroves. After I met Hudson, he seemed to know exactly what this mystery hole was. It was intended to be a Spanish Seaport, and seat of Government for the Spanish inside Charlotte Harbor. There is evidence that suggests this possibility.

Hudson, said the Spanish had 6 ships and a thousand Negro slaves excavating the port when they were attacked by Indians in which nearly all were massacred, and the ships burned. According to Hudson, several years later the Spanish sent soldiers back to Charlotte harbor, and from there they marched over land killing every Indian they could find between Charlotte Harbor, and St Augustine.

If true, I find this an interesting piece of history which very little is written about. Humble

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Salvor6:

While it may be true that "Its easy to bash someone who is dead and can't fight back..." that has not been the purpose of my posts, at least.

All of us who write have to stand behind what we've written. One of the reasons many of us do it is to leave something behind after we are gone. Good writing, based on sound research, will stand the test of time. And it will stand having folks investigate it and see if it is, indeed, true.

Dr. Hudson's work will stand or fall on its own merits, whether he's dead or alive. I happen to think there are far better sources of reliable information readily available. If anyone benefited from his work, more power to them.

But I'll offer the view that has not been the happy result in the majority of the cases. Unlike, say, those who've counted on Potter, Horner, much of Marx, and the other tried-and-true sunken treasure researchers and authors.

I divide treasure hunting literature into fact, folklore, fiction and fantasy. In too many cases Dr. Hudson's work was fantasy presented as fact.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Seeing I started this topic I think its time for me to interject
its point.... :read2: :read2:

Anyone embarking upon an exploration is best to objectively
review all data and sources available - irrespective of their alleged
reliability. And, then make their own decisions because
as the example of L. Frank Hudson clearly points out

the results of a well meaning adventure
may end up feeling like a trip to
the Proctologist !

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awww...now why did ya have to do that! :angry4: That's a bad visual and painful subject.... :cussing:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well one thing for sure, Hudson has been dead for over 10 years and we are still talking about him. He stands the test of time! :hello:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well I can say --with his book -- how to find and profit from florida treasure wrecks ...that his info on page 22 --# 64 and the map on page 61 ...detailing the facts that Spanish treasure coins blowing up on nearby shorelines after strong storms (nor easters) in Nassau sound --is correct

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread...

Ivan your bringing threads back from the dead today :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well the Nassau sound 1715 era shipwreck is my pet project after all being its right in my backyard so to speak ... that and 1715 fleet info are my special research interest --as you well know john..yes I will do "special" project upon request --ask sads at times if I have the spare time ...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Hudson was arrested for bulldozing Mound Key, and as it turned out, he had the wrong Mound Key. He also claimed to have contacted Jose Gaspar's descendants in Spain...
...destroying native American burial mounds and damaging mangroves and wetlands in search of the nonexistent treasure of a pirate that never existed by was "created" by TAMPA TRIBUNE society editor, Mary Louise Dodge and friends in 1904.
L Frank Hudson destroyed legitimate Florida historical sites in an attempt to profit from a illusionary treasure which brought about Florida strong laws affecting treasure hunting in Florida.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow - thanks for resurrecting this one! Buried pirate treasure, the Bay of Pigs invasion, assassination attempt on Castro, CIA gold bars, indian burial mounds, "hollow earth theory", flying saucers, Hitler, racketeering charges, hidden excavated Spanish port, 1715 fleet wreck in Nassau Sound, and pictures of naked women. This thread has it all!

For what its worth, I have read a couple of Mr. Hudson's books and enjoyed them completely. I read everything I can get my hands on about sunken treasure. Not all of it is factual, but there are almost always some nuggets of truth in every tale. Like Capt Dom said above, you read it all and sort it out for yourself.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
informantion can be gathered from the oddest of places and people ...the 1715 fleet location --was told to kip wagner by a local drinker who would find and sell old Spanish coins washed up on the beach by storms for drinking money ...kip had him show him the "location" where he found the coins at --kip was smart enough to know that there had to be a "scource" for those coins --ie a "treasure ship" wrecked off shore ...and thus the tale of the 1715 fleet shipwrecks begins...

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Or Mr. Wagner could have just looked at the "treasure map:"

Treasure B&T 001.jpg

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Thank you for the kind words!

I'm too young to die. The Good Lord doesn't want me and the devil won't take me.

And I have too many books to sell so my kids won't just give them away...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Texas Jack

Feb 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew Frank Hudson well when I was in the Navy

Hudson was arrested for bulldozing Mound Key, and as it turned out, he had the wrong Mound Key. He also claimed to have contacted Jose Gaspar's descendants in Spain. I always thought he was a flake, and never bought any of his books.

I knew Dr. L. Frank Hudson quite well and went on a few trips with him, spent time at his house and have a few of his books, maps, and letters. He treated me like a son and we always had a good time talking treasure. I'd predict that 90% of the treasures he wrote about are still out there. So- have at it. I was wondering if anyone has the exact date of his death? I spoke to his sister at the time, but have no recollection of when that was. Texas Jack

Texas Jack

Feb 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - thanks for resurrecting this one! Buried pirate treasure, the Bay of Pigs invasion, assassination attempt on Castro, CIA gold bars, indian burial mounds, "hollow earth theory", flying saucers, Hitler, racketeering charges, hidden excavated Spanish port, 1715 fleet wreck in Nassau Sound, and pictures of naked women. This thread has it all!

For what its worth, I have read a couple of Mr. Hudson's books and enjoyed them completely. I read everything I can get my hands on about sunken treasure. Not all of it is factual, but there are almost always some nuggets of truth in every tale. Like Capt Dom said above, you read it all and sort it out for yourself.

Yes Dr. Hudson covered alot of ground. I knew him very well. He did a number of special reports for me on fun subjects. If you like treasure , then you'll love The Treasure Hunter by Harold Jenkins . A classic. I collect older treasure books.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome texas jack. I have enjoyed everything hudson I could find. Must have been fun to be on those trips with him. Welcome to treasurenet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread