How Many of You have Heard of L. Frank Hudson?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
...destroying native American burial mounds and damaging mangroves and wetlands in search of the nonexistent treasure of a pirate that never existed by was "created" by TAMPA TRIBUNE society editor, Mary Louise Dodge and friends in 1904.

L Frank Hudson destroyed legitimate Florida historical sites in an attempt to profit from a illusionary treasure which brought about Florida strong laws affecting treasure hunting in Florida.

I'd be very interested in reading the work of Ms. Dodge. Do you have a link or a cite for that? I traced the Gaspar story to a hotel and railroad promotional piece on another TN thread.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Texas Jack:

Howard Jennings and his book have been much discussed here. Personally, I have a serious problem with grave robbing, artifact smuggling, etc. It's against the law - then and now - and it certainly isn't "treasure hunting." Much of that book reads like fiction to me.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS:

I forgot that I'd started a Jose Gaspar thread several years ago:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends/384086-jose-gaspar-real-pirate.html

I think the original legend was moved to Tampa by Ms. Dodge and her crewe. I don't think she started it. Much like Harry Oliver's promotion in the California desert, she appropriated an existing story and transplanted it to a new locale for her own ends.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Howard Jennings and his book have been much discussed here. Personally, I have a serious problem with grave robbing, artifact smuggling, etc. It's against the law - then and now - and it certainly isn't "treasure hunting." Much of that book reads like fiction to me.

I share your problem with grave robbing. As far as his book being fiction, I have a friend who followed in Howard's footsteps, and found numerous people in those places who remembered him and his exploits.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I share your problem with grave robbing. As far as his book being fiction, I have a friend who followed in Howard's footsteps, and found numerous people in those places who remembered him and his exploits.

I'm prepared to believe he was there and that people remembered him. I just don't believe a good deal of what is in that book. But, then, I didn't believe a lot of Robin Moore's Happy Hooker, either. And he hit a real streak of bad luck with his book on Osama Been Forgotten.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS:

I forgot that I'd started a Jose Gaspar thread several years ago:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends/384086-jose-gaspar-real-pirate.html

I think the original legend was moved to Tampa by Ms. Dodge and her crewe. I don't think she started it. Much like Harry Oliver's promotion in the California desert, she appropriated an existing story and transplanted it to a new locale for her own ends.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
That information is included in :
FINDING FLORIDA: The True History Of The Sunshine State by T D Allman
Grove Press c 2013 Grove Atlantic

bigriverjay

Sep 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan, are you familiar with Hudson's story regarding "Boggs Hole" in Charlotte Harbor? Humble

Hi Humble, Would Boggs hole be the same as Boggess Hole in Charlotte Harbor? Mind sharing the story on it? Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread