ANYONE HEAR ABOUT A NEW WRECK BEING SALVAGED IN JUPITER?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
tarpon192 said:
JUST CURIOUS.

I could be mistaken, but I think what you are hearing about is a public company that has been looking for a wreck for the last 3 years and is still looking to find a wreck in the area that they sub-contracted. As far as I know, to date they haven't found a wreck. Although to hear some of the investors, you would think they are on the trail of the Stern Castle of the Atocha and they will be bringing it up any day.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They have been out there some, but havent heard anything about finds.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc... you indicated that you have seen "them" out there searching... can you explain where off of Jupiter they are searching as I am currently working on getting an exploratory lease in that area myself?

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
By the fishing pier off Juno.
Its nothing new.

Like Paul Harvey would say, "Now here is the rest of the Story"
(at least my version of it :smileinbox: :smileinbox:

The ballast spill was worked
in the mid 1960's by - among others Gene Chevelier.
{His nephew is Arnie Chevelier} Arnie like his uncle is a "treasure finder"
who worked for Herbo on the Beacon and the Maravillas {hi Sambo}
Gene's dead now. Peter Leo, my former partner
who Seahunter purchased his share of our company, in 2006, JWI. Inc. a Florida Corporation,
owned by its all of its stockholders, buried him at sea about 10 or 15 years back....

Back then, I was a boat captain - turned marina developer,
going in the water - to me - meant something fell off the boat! :dontknow:
Most of our spare time was spent chasing young ladies - (ask either seahunter or Peter)

In later years he, (Gene) had his own
private metal scrapping junk yard just off Center Street.
He use to hang around Blowing Rocks Marina, I was developing in the early 80's and occasionally
sold silver spikes he told folks he got from the wreck.
Joe Hines (any of you know Joe!) use to keep a low profile treasure boat there and
Jean and he spent a lot of time out on the water both here and in the Bahamas....
I hope you are still out there Joe....

Anyhow Nelson Waite a well known commerical fish shooter re-discovered the ballast pile
and with a few well connected Palm Beach County cronies placed an Admiraty Claim on the
site about 3 to 6 months after I placed the Admiralty Claim on the Jupiter Wreck Site
in July of 1987. A good deal of money was raised and spent and a lot of E.O. 's came out
of it but like in all treasure operations, egos began to creep and then storm to the surface
and the next thing you know the principals were all fighting amongst themselves :violent1: :BangHead: :violent1:

Judd Laird ended up legally attaining the sole rights on the "Federal Court Room Steps" and
has kept the project alive for the past 20 years by getting various investment groups
to go out and sometimes actually work {note I don;t say wish! The best thing to actually come
from over two decades of work there is:

Early on Judd subcontracted an accomplished commercial dive operation who was lead
by Dave Foster - who is very knowledgeable (some of us call him the mouth piece of the treasure industry)
about shipwrecks; so much that he kept himself on the being paid end of it - which few of us do.

Well Dave met Judd's daughter who was like a young Margeret Weller - a romance ensued that
has lead to their marriage, a great kid named Will and two decades of their own adventures - both above
and under the water.

Judd, if you read this - this was the true treasure you found - A good life for your daughter
her husband and their son. :icon_thumright:

People attempt to re-write history all the time - but as far as this story goes
David Foster is the "Ben Gun" of the Juno Wreck!

Capt Dom

Good luck!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Capt Dom, I talked with Joe Hines a few years ago in Tampa, I would assume he is still around. Yes, I have seen the Iron Maiden (blower boat) and the Reward II (dive boat) working that area, about a 1/2 to 1 mile out off the pier. I didnt realize that the Iron Maiden actually did any work.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tarpon, you would not have asked the question unless you heard something. What did you hear? I may have some information but don't wish to post it on this board.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions