Fishers Find Deep Water Wreck ???

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Fisher's Find Deep Water Wreck ???

Received this email this morning, along with probably another million people. It looks like the Fisher's found a deep water wreck. I wish I could have copied and pasted the side scan images, but not being a computer expert, you are going to have to wait for someone else to complete that task. Congratulations to the Fisher's. I hope you hit the Mother Lode Again.

:icon_pirat:
Wreck located

Here are a few pictures of the side scan images for the wreck located in the LM area. The Dare did two survey runs in opposite directions so we could see both sides of the target. The last image is a screen capture of the magnetometer screen with the mag showing a large 100 gamma hit when they passed over the target area indicating that it is a shipwreck instead of a rock!

They will be diving this again on Thursday after Shawn Redding and Mike Piranio arrive tomorrow night with additional pony bottles and dive lights needed to do another dive on this target. In the meantime the Dare is currently surveying in the LM box running the (53) 15.5 nm long runs in our primary search box or “LM Area-A”.

Let’s hope Thursdays the day!”

Regards,
Gary Randolph
Vice President
Director of Salvage Operations
Mel Fisher's Treasures

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Fisher's Find Deep Water Wreck ???

good for the fishers -- putting the money their papa made for them (from the sale of the 1715 fleet wreck site) to work to find some "fresh meat" of their own . -- yep their mel's kids alright. --willing to take a risk to find the big score -(most folks would have been content to just keep hitting the old sites and getting by on the past)--- I hope their far enough out that they do not have state of Florida or USA legal entanglement to deal with. ( I would think they would be knowing the "track" record of dealing with grubbermint types that their dad had to deal with ) -- best of luck to ya taffi.-- Ivan.

billfishbelize

Jun 21, 2010
central america
Detector(s) used
fisher cz-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ill see if I can put the side scan pics on.BB

Attachments

• Email_MagTrail2.jpg
    Email_MagTrail2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 794
  • Email_Mag01.png
    Email_Mag01.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 901
  • Email_Mag02.png
    Email_Mag02.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 936

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

billfishbelize said:
Ill see if I can put the side scan pics on.BB

From a past quote "Sean Fisher said the Lost Merchant rests in water that is between 150 and 1,000 feet deep. He is reluctant to share too much information until the team locates the wreck that was loaded with 50,000 to 100,000 silver coins when it sank in the 1600s.....And due to its depth, Fisher and Randolph expect the treasure to be in one relatively tidy pile rather than scattered in a trail 12 miles long, like the Atocha's priceless cargo."

From above "They will be diving this again on Thursday after Shawn Redding and Mike Piranio arrive tomorrow night with additional pony bottles and dive lights needed to do another dive on this target. In the meantime the Dare is currently surveying in the LM box running the (53) 15.5 nm long runs in our primary search box or “LM Area-A”."

Judging from that sidescan image, it appears that it may be between 150-300 feet deep in the waters off Canaveral. I would be awfully surprised if it is really any deeper than 300 based on the above comments. There are a ton of old wrecks out of canaveral that are partially buried like this one. A couple come to mind but the above sidescan is lacking indication of other identificable targets scattered nearby, so it's probably not them..

If it is a 1600's merchant ship...I wonder if this is on a old loran fishing number I have in the 160 ft-ish depth named in the 80's called "spanish galleon"....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

the Conception * from the 1715 fleet was reportedly lost around the cape area * 4 guys were recovered after floating a couple days on a hatch cover at the cape , according to reports -- 3 vessels of Echerevz's fleet -- the Conception , the french prize vessel and the "Tobbacco" hauler San Miguel --broke away from the other 8 ships--all 5 of Ubilla's fleet and the 2 major treasure vessels and the small dutch prize vessel San Miguel (aka) as "Olandesa / Hollandesa" --- just before the storm hit * 3 vessels -- the Conception , the french prize vessel "El Ciervo" (the stag) and the Spanish Nao class tobacco vessel "San Miguel" all left on a on a more northerly tack according to info reported in the fleet loss inquest by the " 1715 fleet" pilot major -- its believed the Conception sank around the cape area due to the 4 survivors being found on the hatch cover on the cape. . :wink:

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007

It was exactly on this same day, July 30, that the combined fleets of Tierra Firma and Nueva España commanded by Capitán General Don Antonio de Echeverz y Zubiza and Capitán General Don Juan Esteban de Ubilla were sunk by a hurricane in 1715, killing over 1,000 men including Ubilla himself. To the memory of this tragic event that should be remembered in its anniversary.
Panfilo

E

elle

Hello Panfilo!
Thank you so much for reminding us of the 1715 fleet tragedy.
The anniversary definitely should be a time of prayer for all the souls who died at sea.
The day of observance for the sinking of the 1715 fleet, however, is July 31st.
I know you meant well and I apologize for making a correction.
I respect the individuals who perished so deeply in my heart that I knew I had to chime in.
The first ship grounded at midnight on Wednesday, July 31, 1715, and the Capitana, under the authority of General Ubilla, was actually one of the last vessels to go to its grave.
This information, along with the number of ships, names, and locations, will be revealed in my upcoming book (couple more months of writing needed).
The most important element of this event concerns the lives of all the people connected to the fleet,
and especially those who tried to change the world for the better during the Colonial Era.
The best treasure to find is that which lays in our hearts.

Laura Strolia

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's the interent so I'll state this is not written in the "harshness" it might read....

elle,
The wrecks began on the 30th and ended on the 31st. What "club" makes the official day of observance July 31st? I would guess people could observe the passing when they want even if they are not in the majority and technically a 2 day observance would be most befitting...

E

elle

I'm sorry, I was just correcting the past post that said both fleets sunk on July 30th, 1715.
That was not a correct statement, for I do not know of one wreck from the archives that perished on July 30th, 1715.
The storm picked up on the 30th...yes...and it was becoming quite severe.
I do agree about more than one day of remembering a tragic event. Thank you.
For example, people should not only observe Decemeber 7th when Pearl Harbor was attacked, but through all of December.

:icon_sunny:

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Escribania de Camara 1058C - Don Miguel de Lima y Melo in Havana to Duque de Linares, dated 19 October 1715.

Having then lost all our masts, all of the ships were wrecked on the shore between the middle of the night of the 30th until 10 in the morning of the 31st."

E

elle

I have a more detailed sentence from my translation of the archives:

Escribania de Camara 1058C - Don Miguel de Lima y Melo in Havana to Duque de Linares, Viceroy of New Spain. 19 October 1715, Folio 7V.

"We all grounded upon the coast from midnight of the 30th to 10 a.m. of the 31st of July."

My intention is to write about a holy day when many souls perished at sea, not start a debate.
I apologize.

ps...Chagy, if you're out there, thanks again for your help and for being a great historian and researcher!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

plus of the 3 northerly tack -- bound vessels * of Echeverz's fleet * --the Conception , the El Ciervo (french prize vessel) ans the San Miguel * tobbacco hauling nao --that stayed in Havana and thus never went to the south american treasure ports unlike the rest of Echeverz's fleet did. --it rejoined Echeverz's fleet upon the return to Havana , Cuba for their return trip home.

except for a few facts * little is known about the fate of these 3 "missing" 1715 vessels -- due to the fact that 4 survivors of the Conception were found at the cape area washed ashore after floating about on a hatch cover for a couple days most folks believe that it went down near the cape area --(quite understandible why they would think that lots of reefs in that area.)---of the 2 remaining vessels even less is "offically" known * however SALMON * (SECOND IN COMMAND OF THE FLEET UNDER UBILLA-- WITH UBILLA'S DEATH IN THE STORM--- SALMON BECAME IN CHARGE OF RECOVERY EFFORTS) wrote---- 9 of the vessels are lost ( so he knew of the conception at the cape) and the 8 vessels lost of the main fleet that wrecked close to one another --all 5 of Ubilla's fleet -- the two major treasure vessels of Echeverz's fleet that Ubilla 'ordered" to stay with his fleet and the small dutch prize vessel that Echeverz choose to have come along with the two treasure vessels --San Miguel
who's superstructure broke away as she hit bottom and surfed ashore --it was this wreckage that was used as shelter during recovery ops --Echeverz wrote in a letter"-- "from the real (camp/shelter) of the Olandesa " which means dutch --as in dutch prize vessel
(OH AND SINCE 9 +2 IS 11--- IT SETTLES THE NUMBER OF SPANISH VESSELS IN "THE FLEET" AS 11 IN TOTAL)

SALMON also wrote of the two missing GALLONES OF ECHEVERZ ( echeverz fleets was known as the "the gallones de terra firme") there is little doubt that they sank in the high seas -- (thus not recoverible using the means availible at that time) due to wreckage of a large vessel or vessels found on the NORTH COAST OF ST AUGUSTINE -- (THUS THE WRECKAGE WAS CLOSE BY THE ST AUGUSTINE AREA) --

IF ONE READS the oct 24th, 1715 virginia govenor ALEXANDER SPOTSWOOD LETTER * TO LORD STANHOPE OF ENGLAND (BRITSH HOPE SEC AT THE TIME)-- in the letter the details of the vessel lost in nassau sound that spotswood is trying to get stanhope to get the kings "royal approval" for spotswood to loot are very clearly spelled out - AS TO WHO AND WHAT SHE WAS -it was a recovery / rescue vessel (barcalonga) sent out from havana AFTER the fleet had wrecked , sent to recover VIP'S and important treasure * at the fleet wreck sites -it says that after picking up its cargo --that wrecked "about 40 miles" northward from st augustine (which is exactly were nassau sound is) -- spotswood had an excellent naval spy network --remember it was Spotswood (via his spy network) that tracked down the wereabouts of Blackbeard and Spotswood that sent Lt Maynard to kill him.

if a event --(the shipwrecks) started at midnight and lasted till 10 am the following day most folks would think * the day of the july 31st , 1715 as the wrecking day -- by not not counting the stroke of midnight as part of the 30th .-- now how they knew it was exactly midnight during this hurricane mess only god knows -- but later on you gotta write something down in the wreck accounting demanded by the "bosses". --it occured during the dead of the night till early morning --so you write it "occured" from midnight to 10 am. --as a long term merchant seaman --with a family history of men going to sea for the last 300 or so years this was quite the normal way things were done when one had to "account" for how things "occured" during a sea going "disaster".

note * middle of the night (of the 30th ) till 10 am of the 31st. --thus-- not "midnight" but middle of the night -- time in the middle of a hurricane event ? your fighting for your life , you only write about it afterwards to the best of your memory .

I've been at sea aboard ship during hurricane type weather , exactly what time it is less important than not sinking and dying at that time -- you can write up the "paperwork" stuff later on after the storm has passed.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

elle said:
I have a more detailed sentence from my translation of the archives:

Escribania de Camara 1058C - Don Miguel de Lima y Melo in Havana to Duque de Linares, Viceroy of New Spain. 19 October 1715, Folio 7V.

"We all grounded upon the coast from midnight of the 30th to 10 a.m. of the 31st of July."

My intention is to write about a holy day when many souls perished at sea, not start a debate.
I apologize.

ps...Chagy, if you're out there, thanks again for your help and for being a great historian and researcher!

Dear Watson,

Thanks for your nice words....You are also a great historian & researcher...It was a pleasure helping you and I hope some day in the near future we all get to read your work...

All the best,

Chagy,

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ditto !

Top Member Reactions