Possible armada wreck found off Ireland

diverdan

Jun 16, 2011
Ellenton, FL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a soverign Spanish warship that was not on a commercial mission. How can Ireland touch it without Spain's permission?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Evidence uncovered during a dive survey revealed the vessel was likely to be a 16th-century ship...

Once again, we wonder who actually found it. Nonetheless, it's an incredible find. An intact Armada ship will tell us a fascinating story. I hope we read more about this great wreck.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
diverdan,

They haven't actually identified the wreck yet. If they do find that it is that of one of the Armada ships, I am sure that Spain will be fully involved in discussions about its future. Spain doesn't automatically exclude the possibility of its sovereign ships being archaeologically examined and recovered, it just claims title to such wrecks and reserves the right not to give permission for them to be salvaged.

If it is an Armada wreck, then I am sure Spain will be as keen as anybody to have the wreck properly examined and documented, at the very least.

My mother's family, the O'Dowds, are from Sligo, which is close to Donegal, and there are several Armada wrecks along that part of the coast. Most of the survivors who made it to shore were killed and robbed by the locals, but a few were taken into the communities and gave rise to what are known as the Black Irish. My mother always believed that she was one of them, but birth and death records from that time are pretty sparse in the remote parts of Ireland.

What a great find and a great adventure this is. Thanks for posting the information, Darren.

Mariner

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Smithbrown said:

"At least 24 Spanish warships sank off the west coast in September 1588 when they were caught in violent storms. They were wrecked in locations between Antrim and Kerry as they attempted to make their way back home following defeat to a British fleet in the English Channel."

Wow, talk about the phrase, if it wasn't for bad luck they had no luck at all.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariner said:
diverdan,

They haven't actually identified the wreck yet. If they do find that it is that of one of the Armada ships, I am sure that Spain will be fully involved in discussions about its future. Spain doesn't automatically exclude the possibility of its sovereign ships being archaeologically examined and recovered, it just claims title to such wrecks and reserves the right not to give permission for them to be salvaged.

If it is an Armada wreck, then I am sure Spain will be as keen as anybody to have the wreck properly examined and documented, at the very least.

My mother's family, the O'Dowds, are from Sligo, which is close to Donegal, and there are several Armada wrecks along that part of the coast. Most of the survivors who made it to shore were killed and robbed by the locals, but a few were taken into the communities and gave rise to what are known as the Black Irish. My mother always believed that she was one of them, but birth and death records from that time are pretty sparse in the remote parts of Ireland.

What a great find and a great adventure this is. Thanks for posting the information, Darren.

Mariner
Very Interesting Mariner, To be sure to be sure. Great find for History.
How's your book on Drake going? On the two ships lost in the battle that had crashed into each other. Drake boarded one and found that canons had been tied together for a one off use.
Ossy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread